iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey, 'tater man! (SwampDonkey)

Started by DanG, February 23, 2007, 01:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Boiled potatoes and herring steamed on top.  fire_smiley digin_2 It's a Maritime thing I guess.  ::)

Dang, you ever catch them brown bull head catfish down there? I was wondering if they was good to eat. When your raised on salmonid species and told anything else is trash fish, well you know where I'm come'n from.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Bullheads are great eating, at least outta the lakes in MN and rivers in IA where I fished a lot growing up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

As far as I know, all catfish are good eating, but some are better than others.  Which ones are better is a matter of personal taste, but most people tend to favor the Channel Cat.  I happen to like whichever one is on my plate at any given moment. ;D

Boiled taters and steamed herring?  SD, you need ta come down here for a week or two and try some smoked mullet and cheese grits.  Talkin' 'bout yer basic culture shock! :o  Your pore deprived taste buds might mutiny and not let you go back home. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

estiers

All this catfish talk, and not a mention of HUSH PUPPIES???
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

SwampDonkey

I thought Hush Puppies came in a shoe box.  ::) ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

Estiers, my thought exactly!

boiled spuds and herring, oh yeah! digin1

smoked mullet and cheese grits, yumm!  digin_2

I be multi-cultural when it comes to vittles  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 27, 2007, 10:01:03 AM
I thought Hush Puppies came in a shoe box.  ::) ;)

Shoe boxes work great for hushpuppies.  Just line it with paper towels and dump'em in.  Keeps them from rolling off onto the floor. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Slabs

I eat whatever snags itself on the bank hooks or trotlines. Quite often mud (yellow) cat. Hushpuppies is a must.  Make 'em with self-rising cornmeal with a smatterin of self-rising flour but not too much flour or they'll float off by themselves.

Can't understand why nobody mentioned mullet and cheese grits.  I don't do my mullet with grits but don't object to them whut does.  My thang is mullet, hushpuppies and coleslaw,  mebbee some barbecue beans on the side.

I got myself slobberin like a blind dawg in a meat house.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Slabs

I apologize DanG.  I didn't mean to jerk this thread away from tader growin to fish eatin.  My slobber glands just got carried away.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

SwampDonkey

Fish and taters go together don't they? ;D

WDH

Oh no, here we go again..................
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

OH MY!!! But how could I have forgotten a good feed of fiddle heads.  They are served with fish viddles to, especially trout and salmon. ;D 8)

DanG

Not to worry, Slabs.  This thread ain't been about plantin' taters for a while now.  They went in the ground last Saturday, anyway. :D

SD, taters do go pretty well with fish.  I just don't usually think of spuds when I'm having fish, particularly the "full flavor" varieties like mullet, catfish, bream and salmon.  I do like fries when I have broiled or baked fish, but I try to limit meals to one fried item.  One very consistent exception to this rule is fried fish and fried hushpuppies. ;D

DanG

What the heck is a fiddle head? ??? :P

SwampDonkey

DanG

Well, that's innerstin.  A fern sprout, eh?  I was thinkin' it might be some kind of a crawdad, or sumthin.  I'd like to try some someday.

Mooseherder

Them fiddleheads are good eaten greens.  They grow on the stream banks after the spring waters recede around May up dar in da nord country. ;)
MIL is a fiddlehead pickin' machine.  I'll bring ya sum DanG on my next trip. She picks plenty a bushels of them and freezes in gallon ziplocs. For comparisions foods it is similiar taste and texture of a tender asparagus top. Good with a boiled dinner of Pork or Smoked Picnic Ham also. digin_2
There are some imposter fiddleheads also that ain't good to eat on the higher grounds. They kinda got hair on them. ;D
There is a real short time when you gotta harvest cause they'll uncoil into a fern plant in just a couple days. Then,.... ya ain't got no fiddle on da head. :D

SwampDonkey

Make sure it's Matteuccia struthiopteris (Ostrich Fern) Dang. I got lookin in Wikipedia and they was suggesting brachen and cinnamon and other ferns that can do a bad number on you. Both cinnamon and Ostrich ferns have solitary flower fronds. The cinnamon fern has a fuzzy fiddle head where the Ostrich has no fuzz, just brown scales that you wash off in a pale of water or garden hose poured over the greens on a messed screen, while rubbing the greens. Sounds like work, but it's easy. When you pick them the flower frond won't be up yet.

Tide Head, NB is the fiddlehead capital of the world. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!