iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are you kidding me

Started by CLL, February 22, 2007, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

I bought a new Stihl yesterday and the book shows a catalytic converter on some saws. What kind of paper pusher would put one on a chain saw.
Too much work-not enough pay.

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike39chef

Husky and Jonsered have been making these for a few years now.  You ever seen a saw with one of those funny green gas caps??  Well that GREEN cap symbolizes that it has a catalytic converter in it. Seems its just a specific class of saws, say the small end pro saw.  Strange stuff.
--"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"--

Giel

makes sense to me. When cutting dense brush in no-wind conditions the fumes can be killing. Anyhting that reduces their toxicity seems like a good idea to me. They have been around in the EU for a couple of years now.

Giel
Giel

ComputerUser

Yup, the days of a free-breathing two-stroke motor are pretty much over.  Stratocharged, cat mufflers, nonadjustable carbs that always run lean, stuff like that is now the norm.

I'm all for keeping things cleaner running, but a cat muffler keeps way too much heat right up near the saw.  Reduced life expectancy for the engine, harder starting, crappy accelleration, lots of "benefits" there.  The tool needs to work, first and foremost.  Luckily most of the current crop of saws with cat mufflers have non-cats available that can be swapped out.  Sure, it adds $40 or so to the cost of the saw and voids the warranty, but it seems like a fair enough tradeoff to me...

Thank You Sponsors!