iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I may have found my new friend

Started by Robert R, February 22, 2007, 06:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

I went to a shelter in a bigger city today.  There was a beautiful brindle male listed as a pit bull mix.  I don't believe it, he is way bigger than any pit I have seen and I am guessing mastiff mix.  He was very mellow and laid back.  Just walked up to the front of his pen looking at me and wagging his tail.  When I got him out and squatted down to meet him, he just wanted to lean on me and rest his head in my lap.  That is about my speed.  I don't do hyperactive, at all.  I used to have milk goats and had to get rid of them because they were always so busy, I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown.  I happened to know the lady at the shelter from a previous church and she said he was definitely not high strung.  He isn't available to adoption until Tuesday.  He is obviously well fed and cared for so it wouldn't surprise me if his people come looking for him but if not, I am the first on the list for him.  I'll let you know and post some pics if I get to bring him home.  Now, I have to start thinking of names for a 90 to 100 pound brindle dog but I suppose that could wait until I get to know his personality.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Burlkraft

Congrats on the new buddy Robert... ;) ;) ;D ;D  I hope ya get him....

I'm sure the name will come to ya in one of them bonding moments... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

scsmith42

Robert - outstanding!  Many pit bull mixes make wonderful pets.

Re names, how about "Dallas" (as in bigger than Dallas...)

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Mr Mom

DWM II

Good for you Robert and good for the friend as well. My friends are outside telling me its time to feed them. ;D
Stewardship Counts!

LedlieLogs

That's great Robert. I hope that big fellow comes your way. He sounds like he could use a dad like you. Waiting for those pics.

Good luck,
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

sawdust

Hey Robert,

May I suggest the name   "Timber"  sounds big solid calm and could be the right color.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Robert R

Now Timber I like, especially as one of his jobs will be cruising the woods near me making sure no horse-eating whitetails are lurking about to unsettle the girls.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Nudgewood

QuoteI don't do hyperactive, at all.  I used to have milk goats and had to get rid of them because they were always so busy, I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown.

Now you gone and messed tea in my keyboard!

%<
Sumpin always depends on Sumpin.

Engineer

I like the name "Dawg".  Keep it simple.   ;D

SwampDonkey

Yeah, Columbo named his basset hound 'Dawg'. I laughed in the episode he had him at the dog show. He was explaining to the guy next to him how he was such a loving dog and deserved the award he just got. He asked Columbo how many awards he had won. Columbo says, "Including this one? Just one." When Columbo went to pet him, he nipped him, as if to say "this whole thing was your idea, not mine." That old dog became as much part of the show as solving the crimes. :D :D

He was always whistling 'This Old Man' :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Tom

Robert, we usually went to the Bible for names.  There's some doozies in there.   Charlie and I had a cat named Rabashekkah.  I had a dog named Moses.  Charlie had labs and one was Daniel, I can't remember the other.

If you look for the really obscure names, you find one with a message that fits the occassion or the animal, especially in the old testament.

Jonathon, Noah, shadrack, meshack, abednego, Neb(Nebuchadnezzar)
are pretty major names.

Read in between the lines in the old books for characters that are obscure.

Robert R

My sister had a lame cat named Mephibosheth (that probably isn't spelled right).  In the Bible, he was David's cousin, I believe and he was crippled.  In a truce between David and Saul, part of the agreement was that Saul wouldn't harm Mephibosheth as the custom was to completely anihilate any family who had a contender for the throne.

I have thought about Gabriel as a name as well.  I really need to get to know him first and even be sure he is coming home with me.  I am kind of getting the cart before the dog here a bit but it gives me something positive to focus on so I guess it isn't all bad.  Thanks for the ideas.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Murf

When I was a kid I spent a lot of time at da farm, Dad got me a real good dog, a big boxer from some sorta almost kin that raised em', even as a little pup he liked to lay by the river with my when I was fishin' or muckin' about, he used set up an awful racket when a boat or canoe come by.

Dad called him Jepthah, just said he was an old general famous fer guardin' da river Jordan, didn't make much sense to me at the time.

It made more sense when I got older. 
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Qweaver

My cousin had a weinerimer ( I have no idea how to spell that) that they got as a pup and they never got around to giving him a real name, so everyone just called him Dog.  Finally they started calling him by the letters in the word dog and pronounced it Dee O Gee with the emphasis on the O.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

TexasTimbers

We had a cat named 99. I'm not a cat guy but that was one cool cat. Followed me around like a dog and wouldn't "meow" very often at all. Brought dead stuff home .
My niece, at 3 years of age, had named the jet black kitten when it showed up on our door one day. We never understood why she named it 99.
One day after 99 was about 10 years old, my dad accidentally shredded her. When he engaged the shredder one day 99 came out, in 99 pieces.  ::) Then we understood.   :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

asy

I think Burl may have named him. I like "Buddy"...

Not sure about "Timber", while I like it, you wandering around the woods yelling "Tiiiimbeeeer" may have people running in fear! hehe...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

easymoney

if you name him sex you might have a little explaing to do running around calling for sex. ;D

Robert R

Unfortunately (not really because it is what I do as a minister), I got called out on a chaplain call early yesterday morning and didn't get back to home until after the shelter was closed.  I had a message on my machine saying he was available and to call them.  I called first thing this morning and was told when I didn't call back yesterday, they called the next name on the list and she has until 5 today to come claim him.  If she declines or does not show, then I will be able to get him tomorrow.  I stopped by the shelter today to see if a dog my mother is interested in was still there and right next to him is a remarkably similar looking puppy of about 2 months, also brindle.  So if I don't get Timber/Dawg/Cruiser/Sex, I'll put my name on the puppy.  He isn't available until March 2.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

LedlieLogs

Robert,
I'm sorry that you did not get him this go around. Hang in there and the right one will come. As you well know the lord will deliver the right friend to you . You might not know why you get the dog you get but the man upstairs knows. They just seem to find there way to me, don't no why but they just come. I love all five.
Good Luck,
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Thank You Sponsors!