iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood Edgemate opinions

Started by Jason_WI, February 24, 2003, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_WI

I am looking to buy an edger real soon and the Norwood Egdemate seem like the best bang for the buck right now. I have a bunch of sawing coming up and edging on the mill is getting old. I am reminded of this every time I pinch my fingers flipping boards..... >:(

If any of you out there have one of these I would like to know how you like it. Any problems with the feed system?

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

D._Frederick

Jason,
If you are scared about feed problems with edgers, I would look a the Valley or WM. WM was running there edgers at the Ore. Logging Conference and they just shot the flitches through it. They have 4 power rollers and 2 pressure holdown rollers. All six rollers have a diamend patterned to reduce slippage.  They cost more, but you will have less headaches,

Jason_WI

Well my Norwood Edgemate is on its way. 8) It should be delivered to my dad's farm sometime on Tue or Wed of next week.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Kevin_H.

Jason,
do you have to put it together like you do the norwood mills?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jason_WI

Yep,

One large erector set ;D

I think it will take me and my dad an afternoon to set it up. I'm just guessing here so time will tell. Air tools are going to speed things up a bit.

Jason

biziedizie

Jason can you let me know if you have to put it together one nut and bolt at a time like the mill or will the main part of it be shipped as a unit. I'm thinking that the main part should be pre-asembled and ready to go as it can be shipped flat and also because there are sharp blades in there!
  Anyways I hope you have as much fun building it as I had with the mill!

Steve

ADfields

Post some pix as you bild it will ya!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Andy

Jason_WI

Well my Norwood Edger has arrived and it is put together. It took me and a friend about 7 hours to put it together. Every bolt and nut you see on it has to be installed and turned.

So far it cuts and feeds red oak and white ash 4/4 like there's nuttin there. I guess 2 inch stock will make the 13 HP Honda snort a little.

There was only one SNAFU with a part that was made wrong with a slot cut on the wrong side of a tube. I have modified the part but I am going to call Norwood for a correct part.

One other thing that concerns me is that there are no shields or covers on the rotating shafts that stick out from the pillow block bearings. There are set screws and milled keyways in the shaft that can catch clothing and de-pants you in a heart beat. :o My grandpa was de-pants by an old bale elevator that had a keyed shaft sticking out of a self aligning bearing with a locking collar. The shaft caught the cuff of his pants and before he could say boo he was standing in his underware with only the pockets and belt left from his pants. :o He wasn't hurt and lived to laugh about it later on but it is nothing to mess with.

Jason

J Beyer

It should be easy enough for you to build your own sheilds.  just get access to a shet metal brake or make patterns out of cardboard to take to a metal shop.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Thank You Sponsors!