iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Dually?

Started by Qweaver, February 21, 2007, 03:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barryinmn

Well mine is older as well. 1993 C3500 cab & chassis dually LWB 6.5TD with a 5 speed. Has a 4 yard landscape elec hyd dump box on the back. Weighs 9K empty. In '94 the injector pump went electronic & thats when reliability problems started. Won't win any drag races and gets 10-14 mpg 4.10 rear locker. Paid $10K @ hobby farm auction back in '02 with 48K mi. Tags & insurance run less than $300/yr.

Here the Hwy dept has crew cab dumps that are very utilitarian but well maintained come up at auction.

highpockets

A fellow told me to never give a Dodge owner any trouble as he was already mad.

Just joking.  I bought a 2000 F250-7.3T with a 6 speed. I loved the truck but it did not have enough carrying capacity on the rear. I drove it for 34k and got a documented 19.9 m.p.g. After getting my backhoe and a 32 ft fifth wheeled camper I realized that I was short on rear tires. I bought a used (53K miles) 2000 F350-7.3T with a 6 speed.  We made a run from La to Penn and back this past summer.  The only place that I felt I was under powered was between (I-68) Hagerston, Maryland and Morgantown, West Virginia.  That is a pretty good hill.  We made 3668 miles and ran from 11.8 to 10.8 m.p.g. loaded.  I am not sure which readend I have but I call these trucks Texas Trucks. The reason is that they like 70 m.p.h. to perform best. 

I considered a Dodge when I first started looking for a new truck. A friend of mine who has been in the truck salvage business for 40 years told me that the body parts on a Dodge were twice that of a Ford or Chev.  I also talked to alot of hotshot (oilfield) drivers. The Dodge owners experienced frame and transmission problem.  As for the new Chev, they tell me the engine is a Jap design. As for Allison trans (General Motors owns Allison) I have run a lot of large 5860 and 6061 Allisons. They are god transmissions but I kind of think in small trucks they (Chev) are using a name to sell.  Me I'll stay with the old and proven for a while.

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

sawguy21

That 'jap' engine in the Chevy was designed by Isuzu which has a history of building very good engines and equipment. I hated the earlier 6.5 GM designed diesel. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Qweaver

The plan has changed again.  I'm going to go with the duelly and have the trailer rated so that the rig will fall below the 26000 lb limit.  But I'm having a real problem justifying spending $34,000 and years of payments for a 1 ton truck.  Decisions, decisions
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Dave Shepard

I didn't read all of the posts, and I won't say what I don't like about the other brands, only my opinion of what I've got. My 99 Cummins has done things no pickup was ever intended to do, like make a cobra mustang look real stupid up to 100 mph, or tow ten tons, and it has held up well to all of this abuse. Any problems I have had have been cuased either by me, or a mechanic I don't go to anymore. The new Cummins is very quiet, they now have an Aisin 6speed auto that is on par with the Alison, and they have an integral Jake, which is better than just holding the tranny in a lower gear. Dodge is offering 4500 and 5500 trucks this fall (2008 models) which is long overdue. Some may not like the looks of the Dodge, but the Cummins more than makes up for it. If you buy a used Cummins, put a fuel pressure guage in it and fix the lift pump before it eats the VP44.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BigTrev

Old Fords never die, they just go faster. ;D
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Dave Shepard

BigTrev, you've opened up a can of worms now!

deleted!deleted!deleted!deleted!deleted!deleted!deleted!

Oh, I guess I'll be nice.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

haha
:)

I've got a cobra that'll give you a run for the money ;)

12.147@114.51mph in the 1/4 on a slipping clutch :) (N/A, never lifted a valve cover)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

BigTrev

Thats one nice piece of work right there Dan  ;)

12 second pass NA is feat to be proud of 8)

Dan_Shade

yeah, it's a lot of work, and a trail of broken parts :)  I'm aiming for an 11, but I need a clutch and flywheel :(

since I bought a house, my car endeavors have kind of dropped off... besides, sawmilling is way more productive!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dale Hatfield

Great launch Dan I love drag racing . Bult a mavrick in high school. 13 seconds with 351. What a blast. Went to college sold the car. 13 years later bought a dodge and now it goes 13 in the 1/4. I want faster but gotta be able to drive it. Thats still pretty fast for ton dually with a cummins
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Dave Shepard

"but I need a clutch and flywheel"
" and a trail of broken parts"

When you find a clutch that'll handle 1200 ftlbs, let me know, the last one cost me $1700, and wouldn't do what it was supposed to. >:( It sucks when you roll on the throttle in sixth gear and things start smokin'.

Dave

Dan_Shade

go figure the first picture I got of the car with the wheels up, it was dirty  :D

it's amazing how fast the guys are getting the deisel pickups, but it's got to get a bit shaky up on the top side.

But speed doesn't make for a good tow vehicle, it's the brakes, the stability, then the power, in my opinion....

Dave Shepard

Dan, 120 is a bit squirrelly in a four-wheel drive truck. :o
It's better with a trailer though.

Dave

Dan_Shade

the problem with the high performance parts is that they aren't too much good for the day to day stuff.  my cousin is into 4x4 truck pulling stuff, talk about breaking stuff...  

I don't know anything about the manufacturers of the stuff for trucks, but a lot of the faster racing guys use sintered iron discs and some were using kevlar stuff a few years ago, but like I said, those things are on/off, not too good for street vehicles.  

I put a spool in my car a few years ago, wow, what a mistake, awesome at the track, but absolutely horrible on the street, borderline undriveable by my standards (at least with low profile tires, it's "better" with something with a tall sidewall).

the other thing with racing is to be competive, you're going to break things, because for it to be built to last, it will weigh too much :D

I ripped out an LCA bushing on my car, talk about a wild ride at 110!  the car was walking all over the place, i ended up feathering the gas to stay on the accelerating side of slowing down, if that makes any sense! 

ScottAR

Dan Shade....  Electrak or ARB locker.  ARB is air powered
by small electric compressor.
When on, Spool.... When off open differential.
Electrak... When on Spool... When off, limited slip.

Wanna see some neat video clips, go to Turbomustangs.com
Stockish looking mustangs racing sport bikes and winning... 8)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Qweaver

I don't know how we got from selecting a truck to drag racing but here we are.
Muscle cars and drag racing was big among my friends back in the 60s and 70s and I always had to chuckle at their talk about how fast they could get their lumbering leviathans to go thru' the quarter mile.  Here is the car that I raced back in the 70s.  We used standing starts back in those days and 1st gear was 60 mph at 8000 rpm and took 3 seconds.  These cars were not designed for the quarter mile, but one weekend our car club rented the local drag strip and we ran our cars all day.  With absolutely no changes to our setup, I was running sub 11s and I'm sure that with a final gear ratio change and some softer tires that I'd have been in the sub 10s.  After a few runs it got pretty boring.  Just as we were getting up to a good speed it was time to shut her down...no fast cornering...no one breathing down your neck at each corner trying to out brake you and sneak their nose in front... yawn, yawn ::) Now top fuel dragsters...that's a whole nurther thing. ;)
This car weighed less that 1000 lbs and was as twitchy as a fly covered horse.
Wanna get your blood pumping...get in one of these for a few laps.

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Dan_Shade

those diffs may be ok in a 9", but they aren't so good in an 8.8, there's one locker that will hold up, but it's heavier, and I wanted to keep unsprung weight down.  I have a limited slip rear end sitting here ready to put it back in.

QWeaver, I always have to sorta yawn at a lot of the old school guys, a friend of mine's dad had a chrysler that "had so much torque it twisted the speedometer cable in half"...

I always figured the only turn I had to make was the one at the end of the track :)

top fuel cars are cool, jet cars are too :)

Dave Shepard

I know someone who is into jet cars, and now he is into jet firetrucks and ambulances. I got to help the pit crew once, standing at the first turn off and watching a jet funnycar go by at 280 is pretty cool. ;D

Dave

BigTrev

Saw a 7.6L 550hp diesel pick up engine on trade me the other day, pondered dropping it into my old 79 cortina ;D. Figure it would be hilarious showing up to the track, loading up diesel and blitzing away. With a couple of turbos I'm sure the thing would low fly..........if I could get the feet to stick to the tarmac :D

Thank You Sponsors!