iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started tapping trees today !!!!!!!!!

Started by mike_van, February 20, 2007, 06:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIKER

I went out the other day and boiled about 1/2 down, it was NICE & COLD one well loaded up fire boiled down about 20+ gallons of water out of 40+ gallons of sap.   It was Clear & seemed OK (no way to count bacterial as I only gots 10 fingers & toes so I lost count  when I tried to pick up my 2nd foot to start counting towards that magical 20 number;)   :D

Anyhow I put away the well boiled stuff as the fire was going out and I had to get home to get ready for bed.    I burnt for 3+ hrs at a really good pace for a long while as I had a good bit of IRON wood, Red Elm & Beech in the fire.   it was a lot of wind blowing so the boiling off moved the steam away fast keeping the sap & fire a going.   

I ended up getting back in Mansfield about 745 pm after starting fire at 4 pm.   I have 3 full buckets of 1/2 sap and my finish pan (~6 gallons) of 1/2 sap.)   I'll be going there in the AM to finish it all tomorrow (Sunday Morning) taking the bacon & sausage & pancake batter with me too ;)    8)

It should be done by 3 pm or so and all packaged up with some NEW lids & Rings...

It seems to have the very clear and light flavor except for that batch that I scorched.  it is VERY dark but OK tasting.   the PAN actually warped UP in the center on the High End.   It cleaned up very well after I got every thing out of the pan.  It is not so much tilt in it this time. trying to keep it more level & keep an EYE on it better...   going to leave that cell phone at home so I can't get distracted by it ;)

Mark M

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mike_van

After a real slow start, the dam has broke here, in the last week i've boiled off 300+ gallons of sap, not too bad for 50 taps. Tomorrow looks like a real runner too - The pic. of my 10 x 10 barn, with a full head of steam.  Some of the frost has gone out, the muds slowly going now.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

beenthere

mike_van
How ya keep the sap level in da pan?  Need to put some props under that right side o da shed?.. ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Dats an easy one ,ever hear of the self levelling sap ..  ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mike_van

How about a self leveling camera?  :D 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

beenthere

dat's a mirror'cle 

now you can boil more sap in da pan.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SPIKER

I packed all mine up for this year, I'm sick as a dog and had to dump all the buckets were full and running a full on stream this sunday.   I still have to get the buckets packed away for next year and the lids & lines are all washed with hot water no bleach or soap in there though.   I ended up trying to save up enough last week for a 4th boil but the sap went & got cloudy in just a day or so and since I wasn't feeling well I shut it all down for the year.  sure I imagine that there is more sap to be had just don't have the energy & time as of now...  I think I got enough for the year for my own use that is...  if not I'll have to stop at the store I guess...

Hey BBTOM how is the run down you're way???

Mark m
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

BBTom

Not too bad, Mark.  We ended up with about 165 gallons, 15 gallons of that will be sold as GradeB.  I just need to untap and wash out the evaporator, and I will be done for the year.  Sales are starting to pick up on the website, and we seem to get three or four people drive in every week to buy some.  I better get the other half of the woods ready to go next year.  We had just under 600 taps this year, and should have 1000-1200 when we finish the clean up from the '05 ice storm. 

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.  Hang in there, we be pulling for you.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

twobears

HEY JEFF:i think we need a maple syrup forum on here we seem to have everything else on here.

delbert

Thank You Sponsors!