iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Salmonella in peanut butter

Started by Kevin, February 19, 2007, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

A store in Michigan was told the peanut butter they were selling could contain Salmonella and they should get rid of it.
They decided to comply.
They put it on sale!  :-\

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Radar67

Peter Pan and Great Value are the peanut butter affected the number on the lid will start with 2111 if it is the affected lot.

Stew

Also, supposedly if you save the lid, you can get your money back from the manufacturer.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

I don't know about Michigan, but the two jars sitting on my kitchen island are new and were purchased 2 for 1. We must have had the same mandate her in Florida. :D

Kevin

Jeff

Which store. We have a whole thread about peanut butter running in "another part of the forum". :)

SwampDonkey

Must not have been pasturized well, eh? I buy President's Choice Blue Menu Peanut butter. It's the old fashion peanut butter that has the peanut oil left in it. There are other similar brands. But this type of peanut butter isn't suppose to be left on the shelf because there are no additives to preserve it. It's still the kind of peanut butter I prefer if I have a choice.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Kevin,
You might also ask, "Which Michigan?".  :D

Kevin

http://search.detnews.com/sp?aff=100&keywords=+peanut+butter&submit=Go

Can't recall, it was on Detroit News yesterday at this time, Local 4, I think it's called.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Thats not Michigan, ThaTS dETROIT!

Kevin

s o r r y , I'll move myself to the "what's wrong with me" thread. ;D

rewimmer

I have a condition that arose from the Salmonella, called Riter's Syndrome. It came from the 2111 peanut butter. We bought 2 containers in December and made candy out of the first jar. A couple weeks ago we ate about a 1/3 of the second jar. I have been to the veterans Hospital three times for treatment and still have some of the symptoms. It attacked my urinary track and I have all the other side effects. I could not begin to describe the pain. You people please through that stuff away. We also plan to check my legal options. You may do a Google on Salmonella and Riter's.
Good link:
http://www.about-salmonella.com/page3.htm
We purchased the peanut butter at the Kroger store in Salem Virginia.
Robert in Virginia

Gary_C

Kevin

Come on over. We will give you better treatment than you are getting here.  ;D

From the other crusty old guy.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

fat olde elf

How many crusty old guys do we have on the Forum ?  I heard about the recall on peanut butter, went to the pantry, and sure enough 2111 was on the jar of Peter Pan.  I had already eaten quite a bit and no ill effects.... Called  Food Lion and they gave me a complete refund.... The manufacturer said to mail the lid in for a refund...
that would have been 78 cents ! Now I'm eating Jif.. Is nothing sacred ?
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

PineNut

Have heard of a lot about and we have some of the possibly contaminated peanut butter. Manufactures and processors will skimp on anything they think they can get away with. And in many cases they do get away with it. But here their shortcutting ways have come back to bite them. That is about the only thing that will make them get their act together.

DanG

From what I hear, the CDC has been trying to track this down since last August.  I'm pretty confident that the culprit jars of PB are pretty much gone by now.  If I understand correctly, the 2111 code just indicates what plant the product came from.  That is a huge plant that has produced millions of jars of peanut butter since August, so if it was all contaminated, there would be many, many more cases of poisoning.  Since there have only been 300 or so cases, I will conclude that it was just an isolated incident, finish off the jar I already have, and go buy some more.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dana

We have a jar of the recalled product. It is 90% finished off with no one getting sick. A few days before the recall one of the kids was eating the stuff by the tablespoon for a snack. Maybe we just have iron stomachs.
Last Saturday the shelves at the Petoskey Wallmart were empty of the two recalled brands. It would seem a lot of us here in this area should be sick. ;)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Tom

It's got nothing to do with salmonella, but, now that we know the two brands are identical, other than label, which costs the most? :P

DanG

How many jars do ya think have been sold and consumed in the State of Florida?  A bunch!  So far, 1 person has gotten sick, and they can't say for sure it was from peanut butter.  I personally use a 28oz jar in about 2 weeks, so I guess I've eaten about a dozen jars since August.

This whole thing is about as overblown as Anna Nicole Smith!

Dat's right, Tom!  It ain't made in China, either. 8) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Well, you guys know how the media like to sensationalize stuff.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

Switch to Vegemite.  Better for ya.   :D

Dana

Great Value is the Wal-Mart "house" label. At least that is the only place I have seen it.
It wouldn't surprise me if they buy from all the p.b. makers and relable to their brand. That is why the lot number is needed.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

brdmkr

About the best thing that came of this for me was finding that Great Value + Peter Pan.  My wife would only buy PP, now she knows to save the money and buy the Wal-Mart brand.  Should save us about....... a buck a year!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Ron Wenrich

Usually, when a company produces a product for another company, its not as good as their brand.

For peanut butter, they take peanuts and add some sort of hydrogenated vegetable oil to it.  For lesser brands, they will put more oil in it and less peanuts. 

I used to think that all chocolate syrups were the same.  Look at the shelves in the store and only Hershey makes syrup.  But, they water the others down.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!