iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What in the world can I do with this Kiln Dried Sweetgum?

Started by Trent, February 19, 2007, 04:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Well, after finishing my mill, I cut my first logs and they happened to be sweetgum. I cut the boards into 1x4's, 1x6's and some 1x8's and 1x10's (all 8'). Had it kiln dried to 6%. The total is around 350BF. I've tried, and will continue to try to sell locally. No luck yet. If anyone needs this lumber, let me know. I guess I'll keep lowering the price until it sells. Currently I have it priced at $240. 270-827-1356
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

ellmoe

First off,raise the price! ;D I mill mine into paneling and am doing some (at the customers request, I'm not sure about this) into flooring. The coloring is pretty cool. Somebody will want it, just hang onto it. It is used for furniture, mostly framestock and underlament, but I've  seen some neat furniture out of gum alone. I think Tom had/has a stool that he showed a picture of on the forum. It was either spalted, or red gum (heart). I can't recall.

Good luck.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

It would be great for wainscotting in a room or down a hall if milled with a v-groove pattern.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Ditto Ellmoe and WDH's comments - sweetgum makes outstanding wainscotting and paneling. 

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Joel Eisner

We visited Stickley's Craftsman Farms two years ago and all the interior trim was gum and it looked great.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

logwalker

There is a purpose for every board. Each in its own way. (ancient Chinese proverb)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

DanG

Trent, if you haven't already done so, run a piece of it through the planer and squirt some clear laquer on it.  Then you'll have something to show people how pretty it is.  I keep a few pieces of it laying around the shop and folks invariably ask about it.  They are usually surprised to hear that it is sweetgum.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Trent

DanG, I did just that. A couple weeks ago I bought a planer, planed a few boards and sold the lumber this week. There is no doubt, this helped sell the lumber. This was my first profit, and now I have my eye on some cherry (dying tree in the yard).

The latest change I have made to the mill is cam lock dogs, and increased blade speed from 3600FPM to 5600FPM (hoping its not too fast for 18HP)
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

Thank You Sponsors!