iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Saturday Project (with Pics)

Started by BigTrev, February 18, 2007, 03:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigTrev

Hi guys,

I've always enjoyed seeing all your new toys and new projects, always making this and that and generally making me jealous that I don't get the time or the chance ( or the talent :D ). So I thought I'd go and hit a whole flock of birds with one stone.

Mission 1: Make a cool present for my second family (met them all about 10 years ago and kinda never left  :D)
Mission 2: Make a wood something to earn some cred with folk I respect the most, all you fine folk.
Mission 3: Make a table so we got something to eat off for my birthday BBQ on Saturday night  ;D

With all this in mind I decided to build a BBQ table, but not just any table, a table to be proud of, a table fit for people that I have known my whole adult life and have never asked for a thing.

So it is with a heckuva lot of pride that I present to you the

Built Ford Tough BBQ Table

Top is 10x2's, seats and structure is all 6x2's, legs are 6x3's rough sawn and the little trusses are 4x2's.

Took us (Jonno and I) from 11:30 till 5:00 pm to make, starting from this pile and 45 M10x90mm Coach screws.

First was all the cutting, mostly just trimming but a few angles and a couple of notched to make it tough. After all that we decided to take a quick beverage break. (We hid the bottles for the photo :D)

Assembly was pretty quick. First we did the end frames (which my drafty mate forgot to put measurements on the plans for  ::) )

Then we added seats and hauled it up to where it would live.

Then we mucked around a bit picking which boards would be which way up and in what order for the top, during this our construction team grew from Jon and me to about six people all with their own ideas  :D

Once we got that all sorted we flipped it over to add the trusses and center support to pull all the boards flat. Heres the view off the end.

All in all was a cool day in the hot sun, 8 minute burn time so the guy on the radio reckoned.

Hate to brag, really I do, but I REALLY liked buildin this table, so I had to share  :D

(edited for my poor spelling)
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

sawguy21

Schlep some stain on it and it will last a long time. Good job. Can we get some pics of it being put to use next weekend?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Patty

Very nice Trev  8)    We use our picnic table thru the summer. It is the only lawn furniture that stays on the patio during the windy times.  :)   And Iowa is ALWAYS windy!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Jeff

Good Job! Now bring on da food!  Trev any chance their goona let ya be one of the dudes coming for Sawlex??
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

This will give something for your second family to brag about.To one Ford Man to another Ford Man,what does,8 minute burn time to the guy on the radio reckoned,means?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BigTrev

Thecfarm:

Sorry, it means I'm a lousy typist. Was supposed to say 'so the guy on the radio reckoned'. They put out a warning on the really sunny days to let you know how long you can be unprotected in the sun from white to red. Saturday just happened to be a brief 8 minutes out before you'd get burned.

Sawguy:

Still pondering what stain to use, saw a really nice redwood stain that we used on Brownies deck a couple of weeks ago, might see if I can get me hands on some. SOunds like a trip to the hardware store on the way home tonight.

Jeff:

We tried to take pictures of it on the night but apparently the batteries in the camera were too low for the flash to pop properlly. We got a lovely bunch of pitch black pics though  :D
Sadly though, I missed out on the U.S trips this year, maybe y'all can convince the boss to send me next year ;D

Kevin

BigTrev;
Great job!
That's one heavy duty lunch'n launch pad.

Fla._Deadheader

Right smart lookin table, Trev  8) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

Trev,

The only thing we're missin' is pics of you sawin' all that lumber on a Peterson.... ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

WDH

That is a table "made for eatin'" as they say down here!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JimBuis

That looks great!  One thing though, you are not allowed to sit at a table like that unless it is covered with such victuals as potato salad, baked beans, macaroni & cheese, pork chops, cheeseburgers, .......well you get the idea. ;D

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

SwampDonkey

Hey!! That's a great table. Reminds me that I've got to make me another pic nic table. My old one was in the lunch room of the potato shed and it kinda got donated to the buyers.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scsmith42

Nice work Trev!  Ditto the comment on where are the photo's of you milling that wood on a Pete?

From the size of your components, I reckon that you'd fit right in over in Texas...

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

getoverit

Great job Trev!

I've always heard that an iced-down case of adult beverages will usually get the help you need on a hot day ;)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Norm

Looks great Trev!

Getoverit at my place all it gets is a bunch of smart aleck arm chair carpenters. :D

DWM II

Thats a fine table Big Trev. I'm gonna have to build one myself this spring, was gonna use ERC. What did you build it out of?
Stewardship Counts!

BigTrev

Thanks guys, for you lot to say its good really gives me a grin  ;D

Its all good old fashioned radiata pine. Its only H2 treated so I'll be conditioning it with some thompsons over the next couple of weeks and then apply the stain.

And you all guessed right, it was all cut on a Peterson. But since I have trouble getting small packets dressed/treated I had to buy this lot off a local Peterson miller.

Got a set of plans here that I'll be turning into a PDF on the Peterson site, I'll keep you all posted.

They are only simple plans but having the parts/cutting list right at the start made the whole thing a lot smoother.

WDH

One out of ERC would be especially nice.  Of course you will have to build one as the prototype like Norm does on the New Yankee Workshop, the build a second one for the cameras.  Then, you can give one to me  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

BigTrev

Got me pondering now about a hardwood table. What would you guys recommend species wise?

WDH

How about Rimu?  I loved those trees when I visited the Abel Tasman National Park.  But then, Rimu is not a hardwood is it?  Probably tough to get Rimu lumber as well.  My favorite New Zealand tree!!

Tom

Trev, I sit in admiration at the forethought of designing something that will hold 6 real men.  8)

I'm thinking that that (double word sentence) table, including food, should easily handle a half ton

smiley_big-grin2

Don't you just hate it when the table folds up? :D

WDH

6 men?  Half a ton?  More like three-quarters of a ton..............

Tom

:D :D  I was thinking more in the line of a ton and half, but didn't want to brag.  :D

BigTrev

Rimu aint exactly hard, but it is DanG hard to get a hold of. Kauri on the other hand is probably harder than the coach screws, but it's even harder to get than Rimu.

Felling and milling of both is very tightly controlled infact most of the Kauri sawn now is either resawn buildings beams and ties or fished up out of swamps.

It's easier and cheaper to get foriegn species of hardwood than native  :'(

SwampDonkey

Probably not harder than finding white ash. ;D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BigTrev

Well from some fairly intensive beer and bbq testing  smiley_beertoast we know that the table will hold up half a decent sized beast 8 hefty folk and 2 littl'uns

SwampDonkey

My old table was not as rugged as yours Trev, and it held up some good sized folk that frequented the lunch room. Mine was made out of spruce. ;D

Ianab

It's not a hardwood, but some Lawson cypress (Port Orford cedar) would work well for that sort of thing.

Otherwise Redwood or Macrocarpa are a couple of other species that would be fine. Dont know how you are going to sneak a redwood out of your local forest though  cut_tree ........  bat_smailey

You could do it out of one of the Eucalypts... as long as you never wanted to move it  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

BigTrev

Well its only been a couple of days since we made it and we already have orders for more  :D How durable do you think a poplar top would be ? I've seen it used as kitchen and wall panels and it looks really nice. Thinking I might spice up the next one, even talk of seats on the ends of the table too ::)

WDH

Poplar is not thought to be a good wood for outside use.  It will probably disappoint you.

BigTrev

Cheers WDH, would hate for one of my prezzies to turn out to be a lemon.

Ianab

Yup.. Poplar outside in NZ climate.. prolly last about 6 months  ::)

Lawson or Mac would be the best / easiest to get hold of locally.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

BigTrev

Thank You Sponsors!