iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Router table or shaper ?????

Started by Part_Timer, February 18, 2007, 12:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

I'm looking at either getting a shaper or a router table and router.  I'm going to use it for rails and stiles and some t&g.  I have a lot of furniture and cabinets to try and build this year.

If I get a router table I'm getting another router so taking it in and out of the table is not an issue.

Which do you use and why?
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Faron

Part-Timer, I use a a shaper.  I guess it depends how hard you intend to use it.  We make hardwood flooring on it, and also use it to straighten lumber prior to ripping, pretty much like a jointer.  I would not want one without a feeder, which adds to your cost, but is well worth it.  If you have lots to do, I would go shaper.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

metalspinner

I use the router because that's all I can afford to use.  I will have to run some flooring and paneling for the house, but will put that off until I can get a shaper.

I'm not clear on wether or not you already have a router.  If not, you will certainly find it useful on just about any furniture project.  If you go the router table route, remember bigger is always better. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

scsmith42

I use both.  I find that the router has a lot of flexibility, but the shaper is better for heavier work and longer runs.  Ditto the power feeder recommendation - it's the key to having smoother cuts on longer boards.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tdelorme

I use a router table but a good shaper is at the top of my want list.  The cotton pickin shaper knives ain't cheap so I'm hoping to find a package that has a bunch of cutters as part of the deal.  You can do a bunch of different work with a good router and table but a shaper will sure speed things up.  I've been putting off several projects cause the time it will take to run the material on the router table is just stupid long.

Part_Timer

OK so what hp of shaper are you using.

I have a run of t&g flooring to do for the upstairs.  I have a 5 hp belsaw planer with a moulder head but I'm not sure that is what I want to use to do it.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Faron

I used my Woodmaster for a while to make flooring.  I just never got the results I wanted.  You have to make some really good jigs, and still I had problems.  The shaper and feeder helped my product quality a bunch.  If you decide to make flooring with a shaper, I'll break down the steps in our process for you, and you can see if it works for you.
Oh, I have a Delta shaper and feeder, I think three horse with 3/4 spindle.  I would get a bigger one, say 5 horse and 1 1/4 spindle if the opportunity presented itself.  Grizzly has some good cutters, I think.  My tongue and groove are Freeborns, mighty expensive but I can make several styles of floor with them, and have made a lot with them.  You can get by with less expensive standard cutters, making for your self.  You might look at Grizzly for a shaper.  So far I have had good luck with them.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Larry

For the most part I feel the same as scsmith42.

I do tend to use the router table for most of my pattern work, small round-overs, and dadoes.

Shaper gets all raised panel work, rails/styles, and heavy work.  I normally use the feeder to climb cut rails and styles.  Climb cutting will reduce chip out and splinters in hard to machine wood.

Shaper is 3 hp which is about the right size for part time work.  If I were doing a lot of work I would prefer a 5 hp with the 1 1/4" spindle.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Burlkraft

PT...Gotta go with Larry and Scott on this one. I started out with just a shaper...3 hp Delta

I soon found out that I also needed a router table for smaller jobs. ;) ;) ;)

It's like havin' an 066.....and trying to prune saplings.... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Part_Timer

Thanks guys

I'll make my mind up one day this week and order something??????????

Faron, I'll take you up on that this spring when I start on the flooring.
Peterson 8" ATS.

low_48

Definitely start with the router table. Cost of the cutters was always my deciding point. You can get rail and stile cutters for about $100 compared to $300 for the shaper cutters. You can buy a router or two for just the difference in the cutters. If you buy a good shaper with the 1 1/4" shaft, cutters are even more expensive. I think the ultimate table router is the Triton. It's collet comes way above the table, and with an automatic arbor lock, changing a bit is really easy. It has a threaded elevation for micro adjustments as well. I got mine at Woodcraft.

I ran a custom woodworking business for 8 years. Only had a shaper for the raised panel cutter. Never changed it except to put on a different pattern. My customers didn't want to pay the extra money for tooling either.

chet

I have both as each has their place as others have stated. I also bought a (router bit chuck) for my shaper. This lets me use router bits in it for lighter work, making it more versatile and bit selection more affordable.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

pasbuild

A must have accessory for the shaper is the http://www.sagetech.co.uk/jigtool.htm panel crafter, makes the end cuts on rails and profiles on panels a SAFE and simple task.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Don_Papenburg

I got the router bit spindle adaptor for both of my delta shapers .  It lets me run profiles that I can't get in shaper cutters.  But has the advantage of bigger table and more machine mass.   I also made a portercable adaptor  for my belsaw tablesaw.  I cut a hole in the extention table and ground the underside flat so I could mount a 690 base under it .  That way I can use the miter and the saw fence  with the router.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Part_Timer

Well I've decided to go with a router table for now.  ::) After looking at the foot print of a shaper I've decided that I just don't have enough room in my shop for one.  I did get an offer on a nice shaper today at a good price but I'd be bumping my toes on it every time I turned around.  Think I'm going to make a router table that  can be knocked down and stored under a bench out of the way.  I did buy a new Porter cable router today for the table.  It's a 3 1/4 hp 5 speed #7518.  That ought to be big enough for awhile. 

Peterson 8" ATS.

low_48

Kinda wished you would have chosen a different router. That Porter-Cable has some ancient technology for the feedback on the speed control. It will just about fall on it's face when it hits the end grain, then recovers about the time you finish a the pass on a narrow piece. It'll work, but there are better. I had to suck it up once when I mounted that beast under a table. Those handles are so wide the hole in the table would have been huge for it to fit in. I took a hack saw to the handles and was able to reduce the hole size in the table. Don't usually like to make those kinds of "minor" changes.
If you have a table saw, consider hanging the router on one of the side wings. That way you have the rip fence from the saw as a rip fence for the router. You will have to have a subfence to let the bit fit in, but the mass of the table saw makes it a great setup.
A router bit adapter in the shapers usually runs too slow for the bits to work well. Except for the large diameter raised panel bits, most bits are rated for around 20,000 rpm. Most shapers won't go over 9,000 rpm. It's a slow feed on the shaper with that limited spindle speed. Something as small as a 1/4" straight bit leaves a pretty bad surface finish.

Part_Timer

low_48
I inherited my FIL's table saw when he passed away.  It's an old cast iron craftsman pedistol type.  I like how deep it is but I don't have any wings for it and I'm not real sure where to get any.  Maybe ebay

I'm not worried about the size of the whole in table because I'm making it to fit the router. I sure couldn't balk on the price.  brand new with warrenty for $275 delivered.  If taking the handles off is a minor change I'm afraid to see what a major change is. :)  :)  but I've been there and done that. Mine involved a chainsaw and a new window.  The neighbors thought I'd lost my mind.
Peterson 8" ATS.

beenthere

I had an old cast Delta table saw top, and had a machinist machine out a pad underneath for the router to sit level with the top.
Then hinged that top to the wall, so it tilts down outta the way. Then when needed, just tilt it up. It has the original table saw fence. Works real good.
A pic later. Gotta run now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Part_Timer

Beenthere

I was thinking of how to make a uhmw top with a ridged enough base not to flex and be able to slide it into slots in the face of my work bench, fold down legs blah blah blah blah.

8) 8) 8)  Your a genius   8) 8) 8) 

Now the hunt begins  :) :) :)   
Peterson 8" ATS.

low_48

Here's a link with a good pic on how to table saw mount it.
http://plansnow.com/dn3061.html
and another;
http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/RouterTableImprove.html
and;
http://www.woodpeck.com/ts21table.html

googled "table saw router table" for the links.

woodhick

I have both but I prefer the shaper.  I have several routers and a good assortment of bits but use them mostly hand-held.  I do have one of the extenison wings on my table saw machined flat as someone else on here mentioned.   I't really a matter of preference but if your serious you will need both at some time.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

mike smith

For stile and rail work a large router will be fine. The main advantage of the shaper (besides its size and power) is its reversible motor. Unles you plan to use it for making moldings and such the reversible motor won't be a big asset. If you plan to use it for lots of T and G and moldings, you might want to invest in a power feed. it is very difficult to produce good cuts on long stock with out one.

The shaper will be the most dangerous machine in your shop with out a power feed. I've spent more hours in front of one than I care to remember...

Part_Timer

Thanks guys, 

With the way things are going I might have to get with Farron and have him make it. 

I'm hoping to make a top for my router table over the next weekend or two.  I have quite a bit of white oak and osage laying around here that would make a good one.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Faron

Quote from: Part_Timer on March 01, 2007, 09:54:17 PM
Thanks guys,

With the way things are going I might have to get with Farron and have him make it.

That can be arranged. ;)   Your lumber or mine.  Stop by if you get in the neighborhood and we'll take the nickle tour. :D

Part_Timer

Thanks Faron

I  may have to do that, we're working around 65 hours a week right now.  This is my first weekend off in a month and I think I'm going to loaf for awhile. 

I may be driving to Calhoon TN next weekend, if so I'll try to make arrangements to stop by.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Thank You Sponsors!