iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

He missed the house.

Started by Kevin, February 18, 2007, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Nate Surveyor

Whellll! It seemed that he spend entirely too much time with the saw in that tree!

After about 1/2 the time, I'd be a looking for a place to hide!

N
I know less than I used to.

metalspinner

There are so many things wrong with that.  I know nothing about cutting down tree's, and counted several things...

1.  Drop pull on the saw.
2.  No safty gear...at all.
3.  Parked his truck right next to the tree
4.  Wedges were in the truck when he needed them.
5.  "Repaired" rope
6.  That notch looked awfully small.

I'm sure most of you have a much longer list than me.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

i'd have started by sharpening my chainsaw first!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WH_Conley

I think the first item would have been to get someone who how to cut a tree. ::)
Bill

metalspinner

Did you here the homeowner come in at the end asking about insurance? :D  That was a little late in my humble opinion. :D

beenthere

A good video for wanna-be tree cutters to watch, as well as others. And agree on the dull chain.

Apparently the worldly goods that were crunched were not too important.  ::)

The notch seemed to be placed just where the tree fell, although one couldn't tell that fer sure. 

There were several other video's on tree cutting along this one as well. One where the tree top was cut out. Almost could see Chet up der.

Thanks for the post.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

The closed notch and lack of PPE were the first things I noticed. Did he go back to cutting the notch after driving the wedge in? It is a wonder he did not kill himself.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kevin

At least he didn't stop to refuel the saw.  :D

leweee

nothing makes scrape quicker than a well placed tree. 8)
insurance don't cover acts of stupidity....lets hope he gets a blind adjuster to appraise it. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ianab

Looks like he was making the back cut about a foot above the scarf... no effective hingewood at at all. The tree just fell where if felt like falling  :D

They seem to have missed the bit where he said  "Hey Bubba, hold my beer and watch this!!"

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

Quote from: leweee on February 18, 2007, 02:43:08 PM
nothing makes scrape quicker than a well placed tree. 8)
insurance don't cover acts of stupidity....lets hope he gets a blind adjuster to appraise it. ;D
I asked our fleet adjuster if they cover stupidity and he replied "Sure we do, all the time". :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bull

SAD !!!! thank god no one said he was a perfessional !!!!!!

You could tell as soon as he started w/ the stump height it wasn't going to have a good result!!

metalspinner

I guess the biggest mistake he made was allowing someone to video tape him.  Not only that, but he was bragging about where he was going to place it. :D

CLL

I'm not the greastest man with a saw, but I do think I could have just wiped out the front of the pick-up..  hahaha
Too much work-not enough pay.

Timburr

At least there was a certain safety factor involved.........it was downed in daylight!!  :D
Sense is not common

isawlogs

I have to ask ... whatsa wrong with drop starting your saw .. I have been doing that ever since I have been working with them .  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ianab

QuoteI have to ask ... whatsa wrong with drop starting your saw .. I have been doing that ever since I have been working with them

Nothing... if everything goes right, but if it misfires or you loose your footing you are only holding it with one hand, there is a chance you could end up with the bar stuck in your leg, at fast idle.

Lots of folks drop start all the time, and dont get hurt... but every now and then someone has a nasty accident  :o It's sorta like running with scissers  ;)

It's just safer to start it on the ground, or if thats not practical with the rear handle held by your knee.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kevin

I agree, it should never be a problem until it starts and cuts off your leg then it might be a slight inconvenience for the rest of your life.

isawlogs

I aint going to argue about how to start your saw ... but I aint ready to have my saw between my legs to start it ...  I do , though make sure I have good footing before starting my saw and also have a good hold of it .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Kevin

I don't know of one single documented case where someone cut themselves drop starting a saw but now having said that I drove a guy to the hospital that sunk a running chain into his leg and it wasn't pretty.
I guess it's like not wearing a seatbelt.
It isn't worth taking a chance in my opinion.
If I drop start a saw on the job and I get cut then workmans compensation becomes an issue.
It's far more secure with the handle locked between your legs.

Dan_Shade

I have made an extremely conscious (sp/) effort to start and walk with my chain brake on if the saw is running. 

safety is cheap compared to an injury.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

The GOL (game of logging) teaching is to not drop start (which I do, but always have the chaps on), but also not start unless the chain brake is on. That also keeps the saw from spinning the chain upon start-up.  Not sure I like that, but have been doing it (brake on, drop start).  Also, the GOL says no more than one step without the brake on. I have to keep reminding myself of dat one. Knicked my chaps couple weeks ago when reaching for a fallen wedge, and the chain moving slowly on idle. Didn't move my feet, but also didn't have the brake on.  Lots of things to remember to do everything just right. Good to have good habits.  ::)
But then, the 'between the legs' starting makes me a bit nervous and gun shy too.  :o :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logwalker

I have been using the drop method for nearly 40 years and really don't know what the ruckus is over. You're using the inertial mass of the saw to counteract the pull of the rope. Works very well. Getting down on the ground with the saw between your legs is a technique designed by a committee.  :D
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!