iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You're not a logger until you ---

Started by Gary_C, February 18, 2007, 01:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

I know there are many good classes you can take to do a better, safer job of cutting trees and bucking logs. And they are even now creating a Master Logger Certification Program. But all that is not really enough.

You're not really a logger until you fill your chainsaw up with gas, forget to put the gas cap back on, pick up your saw, and DUMP THE GAS DOWN THE FRONT OF YOUR PANTS AND ALL OVER YOUR BOOTS. Only then have you been officially baptized as a logger.

Yes, I did this again this morning.  ::)  I was using the Harvester and my chainsaw to cut up down trees. I will not carry the chainsaw in the cab because I cannot stand that gas smell. So I strap it on the back of the cab where it is relatively safe and NOT in the cab. So what do I do first thing this morning?  Found a way to make the cab stink all day long.   :( :(

Oh, one of the other things you must experience is to get your saw stuck while bucking logs. Then walk back to your pickup to get your spare saw, and then get that saw stuck right next to the first one.   ::)  Been there, done that too. But I have one advantage in using the harvester to go around bucking logs. If I do get my chainsaw stuck, that 12 ton gorilla can just grab that tree and shake the saw loose.  8)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

hawby

Not a logger....

Until you try to carry a forkload of snow covered logs across rough or hilly ground, then try to load them on the truck  :o

Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Ernie_Edwards

Guess I'm not a logger as I have never done the gas cap thing.

But do I get any credit for dumping a tank of oil down my leg?

Timburr

.......put the saw down, to clear some brash/slash, go to pull-start the saw and discover the engine is still running!!  ::)

.......have to take off your boot to free a foot trapped between brash.

.......get a face full of oil when trying to determine which hose on the forwarder has blown

I've done the oil tank thing, but I consider not being worthy of credit for that one ;D
Sense is not common

Burlkraft

Gary,

I've done the same DanG thing so many times........

I blame it on Adult ADD...I get ta thinkin' about what I'm goin ta cut and how it's gonna fall...I forget what it is that I am doin' at the moment. Here I thought I was the only one.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Ever set yer bright orange or green tape down somewhere's and then not ba able ta find it... ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

WDH

DanG.  I did not realize it before, but according to Gary_C's definition, I am a Logger too  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Greenedive

Isn't it funny when you do something really stupid or take the most spectactular fall in the woods (you can be miles from another person) you always look up quick to see if anyone saw you. :D

Quebecnewf

Not a logger until

Sleigh load of logs comes unhooked at the bottom of a narrow path and your wife comes down behind you and you end up with two sleigh loads of logs one snowmobile and you wife all in a heap and you know you have two hours work to clear up the mess and get back on the road.

Did I mention that as soon as you step to one side of the path you sink to your armpits in snow and willow bushes.

sawguy21

Not to mention dealing with an unhappy wife. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodhog

1. Forget the gas cap, pour gas all over chaps and nice leather boots.

2. Forget the chain oil cap and do same only much more mess.

3. Go to job site, get out of truck and found you left the saw home.

4.Run over chain saw with machine.

5. Drop saw of machine and smash parts on saw.

6.Lock yourself  out of truck at end of long day.

7.Run trucks side fenders into trees when turning on landing.

8.Have 2 or 3 near death experiences everyday when falling and bucking.

9. Drive hairs on winch cable into hands.

10.Turn forestry trailer over after forgetting to put legs down,

11. Dragging legs after starting off after forgetting to put legs up.

12.Hang machine up on stump, cant go forward or back, lay under machine cutting
stump out with saw.

13. Get so tired that you pick up saw to make cut and saw is not even running.

14. No toilet paper.

15. Leave lunch in truck.

16. Mill rips you off on scale.

17. Finally realizing that you really are not making any money at this...

18. Trucker gets stuck on landing and expects you to get him out fully  "overloaded "with  8500 feet of green logs on.

All true events and thats only in the first few minutes of thinking about it. then there are the mud stories, machine break downs, flat tires, fire risks, agruments over survey lines, more and more regulations and flavour of the graduating class methods of doing things.

Gee there must be a few good things, I will have to think some more...

sprucebunny

Cut into a tree full of yellow-jackets  :o :o smiley_horserider
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Cedarman

Ran over Husky saw and didn't hurt it.
Homelite falls off tractor fender and it is a total loss. I still remember that one after 20 ears.

Saw runs out of gas when you are in a mass of branches of a big cedar and you only have 2 limbs and the top to cut.  Seems to happen at least once a day.

Lay baby sledge and wedges on stump  for next day and come back to find 6" of snow.  Check every stump for tools, remember you put them beside the next tree you were going to cut instead.

At end of day count 25 trees to finish job next day.  Next day cut 25 trees and still have 15 more.  Counting skills need honed.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Gary_C

I just knew there were more good tests for being a logger.  ::)

How about having a trailer waiting to load out equipment in the spring with four feet of snow rapidly melting and a foot of water already over the only road. Then as you start to drive the forwarder off the landing, it breaks thru the frost and gets stuck. No problem yet, just drive the feller buncher around the forwarder and pull it out. However the feller buncher gets stuck right beside the forwarder. Now there is a problem! No way to get back there for 6 weeks and the mud has dried by then.   :(

Ya, I do have some film pictures but don't want to scan them. They are too ugly.   ;D

leweee

your fellow loggers put the chain on your saw on backwards at lunch brake without you noticing 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

PawNature

Kicked by a mule while driving a grab hook in.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

rbhunter

Nieghbor had a stihl with a chain he just purchased and saw shop put on for him while doing other work. We were getting ready to take down the lower portion of a big elm still standing next to parents drive. He was bragging about his saw and his new chain and wanted to test it. That saw would not cut worth any thing. He kept trying and not making much progress and started to get mad at the saw.

When he stopped for a bit my father looked down and suggested he take the chain off because it was on backwards and install it correctly. He was a little embarresed.

It cut really fast after putting the chain on correctly.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

thecfarm

Hitting a rock with a brand new chain.
Losing a choke chain when I know  where I lost it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

Dang, I be more of a logger than I thought!  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

isawlogs

Pour the mixed can of gas in the skidder , finding out a few minutes later while looking for the gas for the saws ...  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Sprucegum

I usually pull the rope 10 times before I remember to turn the switch on  >:(

I have also poured the gas in the oil tank and the oil in the gas  :-[

sgtmaconga

Does running over your gas can and bar oil at the same time? did that this week
Measure twice cut once

KGNC

Oil in the gas tank is a real pain to clean out.

Getting your truck stuck on a stump, then cut your tire trying to cut off the stump. Of course no spare on the truck.

Ed_K

1 more woodhog didn't mention. Trucker informs you he's done trucking logs.
Oh, and hang saw on dozer arch and back into trees  :o .
This makes my 1000th post  8).
Ed K

leweee

Congrats Ed on being a member of the 1000 club. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

David_c

Not paying attention and putting own chain on backwards :-[ Thinking that tree wont hit gas & oil can then make backcut and watch as tree falls straight for gas & oil can. Thinking got enough skidder fuel to make it through day Not. Forgetting saw on truck or saw fuel or chockers. Or forgetting all at home.

Dale Hatfield

Take off driving the skidder only to watch that last wrap fly off the winch. leaving the hitch of logs behind.
Not nearly as bad a dragging cable up hill to retrevie a log.  Digging and pawing up the hill muttering to yourself why would anyone want to be a logger. Only to have to walk back to machine to  really jerk on the cable cause its pinched. climb back up the hill . finish pulling cable. Start to hook choker and need just a tad more only to hear that clunking sound of the cable leaving the drum

Saw bounces off skidder only to meet rear wheels in the dry summer  dirt.  Toatal loss not to be confused with times this happens in muddy months and saw isnt damaged  but no only a differant color
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

sawguy21

Set the saw on the snowbank next to the fire during coffee break ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

adirondack harvester

Just finished sharpening chain and very first cut hit a moss covered stone.

Walking to equipment to start and realize left keys at home.

59Billy

Quote from: Gary_C on February 18, 2007, 01:47:20 AM

You're not really a logger until you fill your chainsaw up with gas, forget to put the gas cap back on, pick up your saw, and DUMP THE GAS DOWN THE FRONT OF YOUR PANTS AND ALL OVER YOUR BOOTS. Only then have you been officially baptized as a logger.

Oh, cool! Last year, I couldn't even spell "logger", now I are one!

Of course, Stihl's toolless gas and oil caps makes the baptism easier....

jokers

Quote from: 59Billy on February 19, 2007, 10:36:45 AM
Of course, Stihl's toolless gas and oil caps makes the baptism easier....
.....especially when you slightly overfill the oil tank! ::)

jokers

Or how about when you are trying to clip just a little bit more off the edge of a hinge as a tree is falling to give it a little more roll and the tree snatches your saw out of your hand and pitches it?  :D

Gary_C

My father in law always said "you can never have too many saws." I think when he passed away about 6 years ago that he had 14 saws, some still new in the box. One of those saws he purchased many years ago with his credit card when the card companies offered free guarantees for anything you purchased using their card. Right after he bought the saw, he left it laying near a tree he was falling and yes, he dropped the tree on the saw. Smashed it to pieces. Turned it in under the guarantee and the card company bought him a new saw.  ::)

That is probably why the don't offer those guarantees anymore.  :D

Ed_K

Anyone bounce a skidder down hill on 1 front tire  ;D ? Or back down to a 16 tree to use as a brake, only to have said tree up root and take back tires off the ground and tipped sideway enough to pyp?
Ed K

rebocardo

> to clear some brash/slash, go to pull-start the saw and discover the engine is still running!!

I was always glad noone saw me do that 2x  :D 

thurlow

Ever took the bar off the saw......................because for some DanG reason, the tree had set down on it and 'twas better to lose the bar.............if things got worse.........rather than the saw.  (Always caused by a MAJOR shift in wind direction, or just the tree gremlins at work; never by a mis-calculation on your part).  ;D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

leweee

Quote from: Ed_K on February 19, 2007, 02:34:32 PM
Anyone bounce a skidder down hill on 1 front tire  ;D ? Or back down to a 16 tree to use as a brake, only to have said tree up root and take back tires off the ground and tipped sideway enough to pyp?
yes ::)

Gary_C

Yep, you are all qualified. Not sure if congratulations or condolences are in order.    :o

Just don't try for the Master Logger in this subject.    ::)

tlooney

How about backing up to a turn of logs on a side hill on a dozer on a rock pile and having the rocks roll around underneath you. Where I worked we called that the pucker facter.
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

RSteiner

Well.... I've completed 90% of the course material mentioned in this thread.  One thing not mentioned  that I have done is forget the tailgate was down and back into a tree on the landing giving it that telltale little dimple.

I've had to complete the missing oil and gas cap test several times, but so far the oil in the fuel test only once.

Randy
Randy

David_c

Also get out there drop a few trees go to limb and mark for bucking at landing. DanG forgot tape in truck. Go get tape start marking, and cut said tape. Go get another and proceed to cut that one too.

Nate Surveyor

Garry C,

I for one am in favor of leaving the OIL cap off. This leaves a nice oil streak on your leg, and when it is used motor oil, makes you feel yicky all day!

I have done that SEVERAL times!

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(
I know less than I used to.

WDH

I successfully completed the test of running over your chainsaw with the tractor........
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

I'm hopin this will keep me from learnin that 'run-over' lesson.  So far, its been real handy for the saw to have a place to 'ride'.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Gotta make me one of dose beenthere. ;)
You gotta patent? :D

Burlkraft

Ya packin' a 660 on da udder side.... ???   ???   ;D ;D

beenthere

Two slabs a plywood separated by couple glued-in narrow pieces.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Does the bar hold the engine up without damaging the bar during your evel knevel tractor stunts?  Do you feel a need for a small platform beneath the engine?

beenthere

Yep, evel couldn't dislodge dat thing. It takes a pretty straight shot to slide it in and slide it out. Not much slop in the top and bottom of the scabbard, and the blade goes all the way in. At least, so far so good.  :)

evel knevel tractor stunts?   gonna ponder dat awhile....... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

beenthere

Quote from: Burlkraft on February 20, 2007, 06:36:44 PM

I'd prolly needa upgrade to a orange tractor ta do dat trick......... ;D
south central Wisconsin

WDH

Green is the proper color for tractors..........John Deere green!

treebucker

Quote from: Gary_C on February 18, 2007, 01:47:20 AM.
Oh, one of the other things you must experience is to get your saw stuck while bucking logs. Then walk back to your pickup to get your spare saw, and then get that saw stuck right next to the first one.   ::)  Been there, done that too. But I have one advantage in using the harvester to go around bucking logs. If I do get my chainsaw stuck, that 12 ton gorilla can just grab that tree and shake the saw loose.  8)
Yep, had 4 saws. Figured I would start a 3rd to get the other 2 out before anyone noticed. No, the other 2 wouldn't start. Got caught by the wisecrackers.

Yep, oil in the gas tank and gas in the oil tank more than once. But something about my nature - I've always caught it before starting the saw. :D

Yep to taking the head off the bar stuck in a large tree - wait for the wind to finish her.

Dropping a 18" WO. Top was broke out. Remaining trunk was doubled over to within 4' of the ground. It started falling where I intended then the top of the doubled-over trunk hit the ground. It reversed course and headed for me. I abandoned my favorite saw but the oak quickly fell in love with it.

When these things come to light, it's both a blessing and an embarassment to have a brother who works at a chainsaw repair shop clean up the mess.

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

arojay

These posts read like an episode of "This Is Your Life".  Maybe I'll just stay in bed tomorrow morning, with my oily, gassy saw pants hanging by the door.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

leweee

Quote from: treebucker on February 20, 2007, 08:22:26 PM
It reversed course and headed for me. I abandoned my favorite saw but the oak quickly fell in love with it.

Maple loving Husky to death.......it happens ::) :'(

Burlkraft

Quote from: leweee on February 20, 2007, 10:13:10 PM
Quote from: treebucker on February 20, 2007, 08:22:26 PM
It reversed course and headed for me. I abandoned my favorite saw but the oak quickly fell in love with it.

Maple loving Husky to death.......it happens ::) :'(

Did ya give her a proper burial.... ???   ???   ;D  ;D

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on February 20, 2007, 07:10:15 PM
Quote from: Burlkraft on February 20, 2007, 06:36:44 PM

I'd prolly needa upgrade to a orange tractor ta do dat trick......... ;D

My saws do match match my tractor real nice don't they...... :)   :)   :)

onionman

Quote from: thurlow on February 19, 2007, 04:26:43 PM
Ever took the bar off the saw......................because for some DanG reason, the tree had set down on it and 'twas better to lose the bar.............if things got worse.........rather than the saw.  (Always caused by a MAJOR shift in wind direction, or just the tree gremlins at work; never by a mis-calculation on your part).  ;D

Uh.... yes

Nate Surveyor

Get named in a lawsuit, because you cut trees, and now the neighbor is accusing you of cutting across the boundary line... and he has no survey, and you have no survey, just a flagged line, of unknown origin...

As a Surveyor, I have seen it.

N

Ed_K

Here's something you don't do often. After the 2nd hitch I got back to the cut,shut the skidder off and just sat there and enjoyed the beauty of the day, It was a perfect day today. Even if I did hang 3 trees  ;D .
Ed K

KGNC

Quote from: Burlkraft on February 21, 2007, 09:53:23 AM

Did ya give her a proper burial.... ???   ???   ;D  ;D

Looks like you could just kick a little dirt on it and it's buried. ;)

leweee

Sorry to say boys....she was X zoomed so to speak. ;D
   That Husky became on organ donor for other aging Huskys. 8) (cylinder & piston survived)
All the broken plastic & unusable parts are in a box.( labeled THE MORGEto be a constant reminder to do things the right way the first time) ::) :)

twobears

GARY-C:what does a guy have to do to be a master logger??
i think i know but,i just had to ask.. ::)

delbert

Burlkraft

Twobears...That's an easy one.....All of the above... :D   :D   :D   :D

twobears

i must be a master logger then...lmao!! i,ve did the gas/oil cap thing plenty of time,put a chain on backwards a  time or two,crushed a few saws,i even did the down hill skidder on one tire deal.plus,backwards down a very steep long mountain on a 540 jd.the trail got all iced over and i didn,t make one trip.i bet i skated backwards over 300 yards.i,ll never forget that one.the same winter i slide backwards down a steep creek bank and when,the back tire dropped in a old skidder rut the skidder stood right on it,s tail.i was sitting in the seat looking right straight up at god.. :o it stayed that way to as i climbed down the side of it.i walked to the landing and told my boss.he picked on me and told me to get back on it and drive it out of there.but,once he saw it he didn,t even wanta get next to it much less on it..lol if it had flipped over backwards i would have ended up right in the creek at minus 20.
the last thing i did in the woods was use my left arm to stop a kickback.i knew it couldn,t stop the kickback and the chain break didn,t kick on even tho my hand just ticked the corner of it and it always worked great before that day.i knew it was going to hit me either in the side of my neck or hit me in the chest so i blocked it with my arm.it hit me just above my wrist and twisted around my forearm into the inside of my elbow.my doctor just laughed when,i asked how many stitches i ended up with.

delbert

Stephen Alford

The thing about chainsaws and stitches is you want to count them going in so when you get them out "this time "you get all of them. Stephen.
logon

twobears

most of the stiches where inside my arm.the only thing the doc took out was the stainless steel wires he used to hold my skin closed.when,i had my cast on i keep wondering why it felt kike something keep catching on the inside of my cast as i moved my arm.i about fell over when,the nurse took my cast off after two weeks.it looked like somebody made twist ties out of stainless steel welding wire to hold me together.the best part was when he used a set of sears craftsman side cutters to snip them so he could get them out..i felt right at home.. ;D
i think the funnest thing i ever did was grab a skidder with a log loader as a guy drove thur the landing.i grabbed the arch and stood the skidder right on it,s nose...the look on the drivers face was priceless..lol

delbert

Greenedive

Made my back cut...turned to get back from the tree...and slipped and fell....threw the saw out in front of me before I hit the ground...right up against a chunk of wood laying on the ground...chain break wasn't working (bad point about those Huskys)...so there I was....laying full-length, flat on the ground with my finger on the trigger...and the saw blade against the top of my hard hat....thunk thunk thunk thunk

leweee

WDH

thurlow

Quote from: twobears on February 22, 2007, 09:37:21 PM

used a set of sears craftsman side cutters them out..i felt right at home.. ;D

In another place and another dimension  ;D, many, many years ago, I needed a farm trailer load of yellow poplar.  Had some trees growing around the edge of a pasture, each one standing alone.  Collected my brother and stuff and went to the field.  This was when I was young and foolish........as opposed to old and foolish; didn't own a hard hat.  Both of us looked the first tree over and saw nothing to worry about.  When it started over, a limb about the size of my forearm and 4 foot long came down and hit me a glancing blow right on my haid.  It knocked me down, but I didn't think I was hurt.  My brother looked and said it didn't look bad, but I probably needed some stitches.  Went by the house to tell my wife we were going to the E R.  I was bleeding like a stuck hog, so my brother went inside and said "thurlow's" not hurt bad, but we're going to the E R.  Walked in; they weren't busy for once;  I said, "You oughta see the other guy".  None of the nurses cracked a smile.   So they put in 4 or 5 stitches and said, "You can get someone to take them out in a week or so.  Time came, just me and my wife around.........she's a little squeamish, but got her fingernail clippers and eyebrow tweezers; cut and pulled the first one.  It hurt worse than the tree limb hitting me.  I said, "*DanG, woman, DON'T PULL THE KNOT THROUGH MY SKIN."  :D
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

leweee

:D  :D  :D thurlow..... now that paints a great picture. :D  :D  :D

fuzzybear

get 3/4 ton 4wd stuck in the mud....get skidder stuck trying to pull out truck....get d6 stuck trying to pull out skidder......give up and climb onto atv to go home and get it stuck.....walk 10 km to the cabin and realize you left keys to your car back in the truck.....decide you really could use a beer rite about now......only to remember you drank the last one a couple of days ago....... whiteflag_smiley
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Nate Surveyor

Quote from: thurlow on February 22, 2007, 10:43:21 PM

I said, "*DanG, woman, DON'T PULL THE KNOT THROUGH MY SKIN."  :D

'Bout killed me laughing!

:)

Nate

DoubleD

Until you put a new chain on your chainsaw and hit 6 rocks hidden below leaves time after time you filed the chain  >:( :D :D ;D
Wannabe a sawmiller

Black_Bear

Got a delimber stuck under a train trestle once while we were moving it between jobs. Had to flatten all the tires on the flatbed, unchain the boom (old Harricana with bolt-on head, not hydraulic) and rock the boom back and forth to get through the trestle. Traffic was backed up about 1/2 mile in each direction.

Had a former co-worker plow a TJ 380 into an interstate overpass. It had 600 hours on it. Buckled that skidder into a nice "vee" shape.

Used to work with a guy we called "two hitch twang". That poor boy couldn't keep choker cables or main cables on his skidder. Finally watched him one day; he was trying to winch in his trees but what he didn't realize was that he was parked on two of the trees. We ran JD 640s, the winch popped those cables like they were made of solder wire.

I was working a steep slope once and had 5-6 rock maples behind me. While descending the slope my blade got driven into the ground while it was all the way up. Had to go get some shovels, dig under the blade, block the blade up, and try to free her up. Somebody mentioned pucker factor; I know what they mean!!

Unfortunately, I can relate to just about all of the stories from up above. I figured becoming a forester/land surveyor would alleviate these problems. Still, it sucks when you have to walk 1.5 miles into a tract only to realize you forgot the map or flagging to mark the line.

Oh well, if it was easy everybody would be doing it. 

Ed

olyman

Quote from: fuzzybear on February 23, 2007, 04:42:07 AM
get 3/4 ton 4wd stuck in the mud....get skidder stuck trying to pull out truck....get d6 stuck trying to pull out skidder......give up and climb onto atv to go home and get it stuck.....walk 10 km to the cabin and realize you left keys to your car back in the truck.....decide you really could use a beer rite about now......only to remember you drank the last one a couple of days ago....... whiteflag_smiley
   fuzzy--i nearly spit pop all over my screen--muwahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

olyman

Quote from: thurlow on February 22, 2007, 10:43:21 PM
Quote from: twobears on February 22, 2007, 09:37:21 PM

used a set of sears craftsman side cutters them out..i felt right at home.. ;D

In another place and another dimension  ;D, many, many years ago, I needed a farm trailer load of yellow poplar.  Had some trees growing around the edge of a pasture, each one standing alone.  Collected my brother and stuff and went to the field.  This was when I was young and foolish........as opposed to old and foolish; didn't own a hard hat.  Both of us looked the first tree over and saw nothing to worry about.  When it started over, a limb about the size of my forearm and 4 foot long came down and hit me a glancing blow right on my haid.  It knocked me down, but I didn't think I was hurt.  My brother looked and said it didn't look bad, but I probably needed some stitches.  Went by the house to tell my wife we were going to the E R.  I was bleeding like a stuck hog, so my brother went inside and said "thurlow's" not hurt bad, but we're going to the E R.  Walked in; they weren't busy for once;  I said, "You oughta see the other guy".  None of the nurses cracked a smile.   So they put in 4 or 5 stitches and said, "You can get someone to take them out in a week or so.  Time came, just me and my wife around.........she's a little squeamish, but got her fingernail clippers and eyebrow tweezers; cut and pulled the first one.  It hurt worse than the tree limb hitting me.  I said, "*DanG, woman, DON'T PULL THE KNOT THROUGH MY SKIN."  :D
thurlow--dats a good un!!!!!!!!! lucky she kept taking them out though!!

Gary_C

Quote from: twobears on February 22, 2007, 12:10:56 PM

GARY-C:what does a guy have to do to be a master logger??
i think i know but,i just had to ask.. ::)

delbert

I did start this thread and somehow knew there would be many responses. However, on a serious note, the answer to the above question is, in my opinion, the following:

If you are smart enough to be a master logger, you will either be retired or not cutting trees with a chainsaw any longer. There are just so many chances for dumb mistakes, unseen hazards, and unforseen events, that the likelyhood of being injured or worse is just too high. In Minnesota, the work comp people have a unstated but worthy goal of getting all loggers off the ground and into the cab of a machine. Sure, it will cost some money, but it will be better than costing your life. Right now, there are many good used feller bunchers and even cut to length harvesters available at very reasonable prices. If you cut trees for a living, this is a good time to look for a machine that will move the clunk on the head to a clunk on the roof.   8)

If you need help in finding a machine, check this listing: Richards Machinery

twobears

Greenedive

Quote from: Gary_C on March 01, 2007, 09:03:45 PM
If you are smart enough to be a master logger, you will either be retired or not cutting trees with a chainsaw any longer. There are just so many chances for dumb mistakes, unseen hazards, and unforseen events, that the likelyhood of being injured or worse is just too high.
Hmmmmm Gary
It is a trifle more complicated than that. Maybe it has something to do with our 'intelligence', but I think most chainsaw men feel like gun owners do....they'll give up their saw when they pry their cold, dead fingers off the handle. Beyond the fact that most of us can't afford the price of a feller-buncher....even one of the Bellsaws, is that we like what we do. We chose not to work in an office or a factory. We know when we get home at night that we have done an honest day's labor and we feel a certain pride that we have done it the old way. Most of us have been running saws since our teenage years and we KNOW the risks and dangers. Most of us have a few scars and all of us could tell a few stories....but I think it is more than that...there is something about the feel of a saw in your hands...the challenge of placing a tree in the exact spot where it is eaiest to get out without damaging other timber....the satisfaction of thinking through a dangerous situation and figuring the best way to relieve that tension...or bring down that widow-maker. We know that a chainsaw operator has one of the most dangerous jobs on earth....we don't believe a race car driver, or a sky or scuba diver, or a jet pilot has anything on us. No, we are not cowboys and no, we do NOT take unnecessary risks....but....when we've met a challenge (mental and physical) and the leaning oak veneer on that steep hillside is on the ground (laid flat on the crotch so it didn't split)...yes...there is a thrill and a deep feeling of satisfation from our work.
There is no doubt that it is safer from the cab of a feller buncher....and that we won't be near as physically drained at the end of the day....and to work in climate-controlled comfort would be like a bit of heaven on earth....and to cut timber with a joystick as if we were playing a real-life video game has to be pretty cool....but am I ready to trade my 660 in and hang up my hard hat???
:D :D :D.....well....maybe in a few more years. ;D

Gary_C

Greendive

Oh yes, I know that feeling. But there is also an old Yiddish expression that says "We grow too soon old and too late smart."   ;D

Greenedive

Quote from: Gary_C on March 01, 2007, 10:57:17 PM
"We grow too soon old and too late smart."   ;D
Sadly true, Gary.....but to grow old without doing that which stirs the blood...that is sadder yet.
My mind says you are right...my heart says I am too. ;D

Gary_C

In a few years, your whole body is going to know I'm right.  :D

twobears

BOY!!it,s getting deep in here.but,there true words being spoken.i,am 40 years old and i look atleast 60..i feel like i,am atleast 100 most of the time.but,it,s ok because i have no regrets and i,ve lived life enough to feel i really understand it.i just wish i could be 16 years old again and know what i know now

delbert

Greenedive

Quote from: Gary_C on March 01, 2007, 11:43:29 PM
In a few years, your whole body is going to know I'm right. :D

:D :D Good one, Gary!!
Sure I have more aches and pains when I crawl out of bed on a cold morning than I did when I started 30 years ago...but....looking at guys around me who have been in an office or in a factory for 30 years...I feel pretty darn good! ;D

Looking back over my life...I have some regrets and can think of some things I wish I had done differently....but my choice of occupation isn't one of them. My job suits my temperment....I don't have a boss breathing down my neck every minute (though I think when you take pride in your work, you are more demanding than any boss could be), but my job has been good to me. I work fairly hard, but the money has been good. Being self employed, if I need to take time off, I have no one to ask. If I need more money, I can work more hours. By working alone I can set my own hours and work my own pace. I'm one of those guys, who if I worked in an office or sat in the cab of a machine would probably weigh 400 pounds...I don't have to worry about that in my work. And...on a day like today when it's pouring down rain...I can work on equipment or run for parts...or do whatever loggers do on a rainy day off. :D

I have never been bored......

Gary_C

I am not advocating a change in occupation. My point is to spend some money, even borrow some to make your workplace more safe before one of these events catches up to you. Then you will be a Master Logger.

Greenedive

Hey...I wouldn't mind trying out one of those $100.000 chain saws...they look like they could be a lot of fun to run....but I'm just not quite ready to give up what I do now. I enjoy it too much.  ;D

Gary,
I respect what you are trying to get across, and though I might not totally agree with you (I believe there will always be a place for a man on the ground with a saw), I appreciate your concern for safety. Don't get the idea I am trying to denigrate the hard work people do running those big machines...and some day I may chose that route...but right now I am perfectly content with my 660 and my Timberjack. I will say though...that IP tried a couple feller-buncher crews here some years back...and they were NOT happy...I talked to the head forester in the local office and he said it looked like a plowed field when the job was done, all the cherry regeneration was destroyed...not a good thing for this area. :( I don't remember what brand FB it was or what time of year...but I do know that after those 1st couple jobs they went back to chainsaws and skidders.

Ed_K

Gary C, my problem with Master logger Cert. is $$$ I don't see how a person running a saw and skidder or a CTL operator can afford it. And I see that GOL is now $150. per level,that really shocked  :o me.When I did all 4 levels it was $250. now your looking at $600. how can I recommend a person to do the GOL with a price like that.
Equipment is definately lower priced now.
Ed K

Tom

That's the deal with education.  When educators see that you will pay, they begin to look at what the market will bear, not what it costs to present the information.  Then, if they can make their course "required by law" they are in the driver's seat and the tail begins to wag the dog.

It is the same of all industry self-policing.  You can look at the required grading rules of most building and zoning departments to see that the "big boys" of industry have manipulated themselves into a position of control.

Gary_C

We have used the term "Master Logger" rather loosely in this thread. Here in Minnesota they recently started offering applications for certifications of "Master Logger" and I tossed them in the round file. Not only because of the $350 application fee, but I do not presently see a need for this certification in my work. Plus it was just a little irritating that they promoted this certification process as being approved by Time, Inc. Time is also one of the major players that is forcing the forest certification thru their enormous paper purchasing power. I think it is sad when blackmail and not consumer demand can force certifications of both woodlands and loggers.

So for the present, I have chosen to not participate, at least right now. 

In Minnesota, we have what I consider to be very good training. Every year we take a one day free Logsafe class that includes the chainsaw safety, first aid and CPR, and general workplace safety training. It is run by the MN Dept of Labor and Industry, the Work Comp people, and when you take this every year you are eligible for the Targeted Industry Rebate program and you are eligible for safety grants of up to $10,000 in matching funds for projects that improve your workplace safety.

The other training program is the Minnesota Logger Education Program where we do have to pay membership fees of at least $150 per year and attend at least one day of free training on a variety of subjects. This membership is required to sell pulp to most mills in both MN and Wisconsin. They just released this years training programs and you can read about that program here: MLEP

This years subject list includes the following one day classes:
Timber crusing for loggers
Federal taxation issues for loggers
Dirt, trees, and timber sales
Silviculture
Timber sale design cross training (loggers get to tell foresters how to mark trees so the sale can actually be cut without so much damage. There has been much discussion about this subject as some foresters do not understand how to mark trees with the operator in mind. On some jobs they have had to abandon the marks and let the operators select the trees to be cut. Another problem is placing the marks on just random sides of the trees so the operator cannot make just one pass thru and see all the marks)
Forest roads & skid trail construction & maintenance
Accessing aerial photos, topo maps, and other planning tools
Hardwood training
Intro and Intermediate GPS
Skilled driver training
Business management & computer workshops
Truck weight compliance training
One on one business assistance
Invasive plants of Minnesota's forests

An impressive list and I will probably sign up for more than the required one.  8)

semologger

can cut a straighter line on plywood with a chainsaw than a skillsaw.

VERY TRUE

thecfarm

Forget to take pictures of some big or nice looking trees that you have cut down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!