iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hope this is right place to ask!

Started by farmerscotty, February 17, 2007, 11:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerscotty

Ok I am getting ready to cut some white oak and red oak trees to sell.  I have a fiat allis track loader to drag logs with, so that is took care of.  Have a buyer for the logs.  Good honest man.  Now what do I need to know?  Tips and tricks?    What about cutting limbs off, how long do I leave the logs?  How small is too small?  Do I just ask the buyer?  I know to ask the buyer somethings.....Last logs was cut they dragged them up and then when buyer came they cut where he said.  Newbie here help!

Scott in Missouri
"A fool lives tomorrow reaching back for yesterday!"

WDH

The buyer or receiving mill sets the specifications.  With most mills, the specifications are in writing and can be provided to you beforehand.  If the buyer is not the receiving mill, you have to negotiate the specifications as well as the price.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Greenedive

Wow Scotty,
Are you cutting them yourself? Do you have experience felling and bucking timber? If you do, then a lot depends on the quality of the trees. If the logs are of high quality, many of the buyers request that you leave them treelength on the landing, so they can determine the best cuts. In quality hardwoods the buyers don't like much of anything below 10" on the small end. If it is a clean log, some will take down to a 9". Yes, definitely, the limbs must be cut off flush with the main stem and any stumpshot should be trimmed to make a nice looking butt.
If you don't have much experience felling trees, you really should consider hiring someone that does. A couple thousand dollar tree can turn into a couple hundred dollar tree in a very few seconds by improper felling.
Another thing to consider, you say you have a 'buyer' Good Honest Man...I don't question that....BUT....different buyers for different mills have differing payscales and markets for the same type logs. What I would suggest is to cut and skid out a batch (maybe 25,000 board feet) and bid them off. Contact several of the mills and timber buyers around the area and set a date and have them each give you their sealed bid. I did this the last couple times I sold timber off my property and I had trust in all the bidders...but there was several thousand dollars difference in several of the bids because of the differing markets that the bidders sold to.
Good Luck Scotty...and PLEASE Be Careful!!!

Gary_C

This is the right place and you got the right answer.

Ditto to what Greenedive said. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

tonich

Oh, NO!
Please don’t cut trees!
Don’t destroy forests!
Step off the grass!
Avoid littering!
No vandalism!
Don't spit!
Don't smoke!...

J/K  ;D

PS. Hey Scott,
Welcome to the forum!  :)
This is NOT only the right place to ask!
This is the BEST place to ask!

Phorester

A big 'ol YEP to what everybody has said so far. 

BUT, only keep all this in mind when you are talking to your local mills/buyers to find out their specs. BEFORE you cut the trees. 

I echo the experience part.  If you don't have it, don't try to learn on high value trees. I once watched a fellow change a 16" diameter , 17' long black walnut log from veneer to firewood when he bucked it improperly, and the log split for about 6 feet up from the end before the cut portion fell away.

Stephen Alford

In our little corner of the forest when to cut veneer hardwoods is the issue. The time line from stump to mill has to be minimal. Staining and other quility issues which affect price occur at different rates depending on the time of year ie sap content, temp.etc. Just a thought, good luck ! Stephen
logon

Thank You Sponsors!