iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One thing leads to another

Started by rbhunter, February 17, 2007, 02:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbhunter

I have seen a post on here but cannot find it now about the purchasing of a sawmill lead to other purchases or desires to purchase other equipment.

So I am curious what the purchases of a sawmill has lead to, or what you would like to have next on your wish list. How many was content with just the sawmill after they purchased it and how many needed to upgrade and add other equipment? pc_smiley
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

red

This is one of my favorite postings  ...
Time to stop being a wanna be  ... hope you don't mind OWW

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=1400.0

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Brad_S.

After buying the sawmill, I found I needed a way to move logs and lumber more efficiently than my little 8N, so I bought a small forklift. I then replaced that with a Bobcat. My little truck didn't have the umph to pull the mill, so a larger truck was purchased. That was followed by a trailer with a winch, which I got rid of in favor of a log trailer with grapple loader. Then I wanted to dry the lumber so I bought a small kiln. Then I needed to dry more lumber, so I bought a larger one. Then I needed to dress lumber faster, so I bought a Logosol. Next on the list is replacing the sawmill and truck as both are showing their age. It never ends.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

pineywoods

There's no such animal as a mill owner who doesn't need/want something else. I bought a used LT40 manual, "all I'd ever need". then I needed a tractor to move logs, then a winch, next a front-end loader. Then I needed a trailer to haul logs and lumber. Toyota wasn't up to towing a trailer so I got a dodge diesel. Needed to dry lumber for furniture so I built a solar kiln. Got sore muscles from wrestling logs, so I added hydraulics to the mill. Chain saw developed old age, so I bought another saw (bigger). The motor on the mizer got a little tired after 6000 hrs, so I replaced it another (yep bigger). customer wanted finished lumber, so I acquired a woodmaster planner, which led to bunches of moulding knives and a shavings blower. .  Shoveling sawdust is gettin tiresome, so I need a sawdust blower. And how about that bio-mizer sawdust burner?? I could heat my shop and house with that............
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Cedarman

Bought a mill, had a tractor.
bought a boom pole for tractor.
Bought  a tractor with front end loader.
bigger chain saw.
logging winch
planer
ATV tractor type forklift.
big building
edger,
2 head resaw
built band scragg
sold band scragg
bought big band scragg
conveyors
wood hog
sawdust blowers
gang rip
moulder
granulator
Sweco screener
drying room
and other stuff I forget.

So be careful, it all started with a little manual LT30.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

J_T

Is that what happened  ??? ??? Got me an old circle mill to cut lumber for woodworkers . Then had to have a building over it  next a new saw then another bigger one 066 next 4x4 tractor with loader built a bigger lift to load tyes with it got muddy got a 4x4 with a 4 cylnder detroit in it built a log deck and log truck .Tractor got to small got 225 timberjack and some how it came with a barko 80 on a Ford truck and a tandem duel tryler to haul the skidder on .Now i'm looking at a faster bigger automatic mill. ::) Plus I don't like much having a band mill finished . So far I may of sawed a hundred bf of wood for woodworkers and that is what started the whole thing .Just been sawing tyes and a bunch of 2x8's .Now I need a tree cutting machine ,kiln,planer moulder ,so I can get back to doing my woodworker's wood . Almost forgot one ton Ford with fuel tanks tools ect on it .
Jim Holloway

snowman

Sawmill leads to tractor leads to winch leads to forks leads to tire chains leads to barrel pump leads to trailor to move tractor ,may as well have a backhoe while your at it,once you have a tractor you realize its just a big 4 wheeler until you buy attachments which are endless and semi necessary.Oh yeah, and now my pickup sits out in the weather so my tractor has a cozy spot in the garage.

WH_Conley

Sounds like time build another garagr. :D
Bill

oakiemac

This sawing is a dangerous road to start on :)

-Bought a used Mobile Dimension sawmill to saw a few logs on my property and do some custom milling to pay for mill.

-16' utility trailer
-3/4 ton truck
-chain saw
-fork lift tractor
-lots of misc things like chains, straps, cant hooks, binders-endless
-24'X32' building
-48' shipping container
-ebac kiln
-nyle kiln
-Bobcat loader
-1 ton diesel truck
-25' flat bed gooseneck trailer
-25' log trailer
-12' equipment trailer
-woodmaseter planer
-4 head mouling machine
-saw dust blower
-32'X40' addition on building

The only thing I need now is a straight line rip saw, then I won't have to buy anything else.....yeah right!
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!