iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nice Tree

Started by Greenedive, February 16, 2007, 08:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenedive

Cut this Nice Black Cherry tree last winter.....The 30' butt went to Germany for $8,500.

Nice Black Cherry

Want to thank JeffB for editing and condensing the video clip to a managable size and for adding the title page!

Tom

Never having sold overseas, I wonder, How did you find a market that produced that kind of money?

Greenedive

The company I am subcontracting for now has veneer buyers wanting those cherry all the time....the German buyers pay the biggest bucks.....seems like every big mill in the area has it's own set of veneer buyers. There are different sets of buyers for the Red Oak and Hard Maple. They say the Black Cherry in this area of north-central PA is the highest quality in the world...I do know those buyers seem to have a nose for the good stuff.  :)

Tom

Well, make all of those contacts you can and don't lose them.  You may never get another chance to learn a market like you have now.  :)

I envy you.

Greenedive

When International Paper sold out up here, their log buyer began buying and reselling veneer on his own (he had all the contacts from working at IP) and within a few years he was a very rich man.

Ron Wenrich

Sounds like the guy up in Coudersport, PA.  I can't remember his name, but I bought some logs off of him a good number of years ago.  Good guy to do business with.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Nate Surveyor

Is it just me?

Or does his chainsaw idle like a diesel?

:)

N
I know less than I used to.

Ron Scott

Yes, Pa. is where the quality black cherry is. When I worked on the Allegheny National Forest during the mid 1970's, many of our timber sales sold for over a million $$$ on the stump because of the black cherry.

That "little forest" brought a lot of $$$ to the National treasury over the years. That is until the environmentalists stopped most of the timber mamagemet activities on National Forest system lands. 
~Ron

Greenedive

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on February 17, 2007, 10:10:15 AM
Sounds like the guy up in Coudersport, PA. I can't remember his name, but I bought some logs off of him a good number of years ago. Good guy to do business with.

Yup Ron,
That's the guy. Paul Buchsen...heck of a good guy...and a great businessman. I cut several jobs for him after IP sold out. He always treated me right. A couple summers in high school I painted boundary line for what was then Hammermill Paper Co (later sold out to IP) and Paul had a sign on his desk that said 'THINK'. He surely took that to heart.

Greenedive

Quote from: Ron Scott on February 17, 2007, 11:23:48 AM
Yes, Pa. is where the quality black cherry is. When I worked on the Allegheny National Forest during the mid 1970's, many of our timber sales sold for over a million $$$ on the stump because of the black cherry.

Ron,
Did you know the Forester Keith Horn when you worked back here? He is from Kane. He is the managing Forester on the property where this log came from. He has been managing this 15,000 acre chunk of private ground for about 10 years now. That plot I harvested last winter was the final cut on a section they had fenced several years before...beautiful regeneration on the cherry. Keith is in his early seventies and still in the office or out in the field every day. The landowner surely has a gold mine.

Ron Scott

Keith was or is still a consulting forester from Kane I believe. We may have met some as members of the Sociey of American Foresters in PA. and we had the experimental forest at Kane.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

I knew Keith when I was with the ACF (Association of Consulting Foresters).  I have always heard good stuff about Keith.  I also know Cliff Carts.  He was on the Board of Directors of the PA Forestry Assn. with me many moons ago.

How close are you to Roulette?  I went to a party there a couple of years ago.  I don't know if I'll ever be the same.   :D

Phorester

GREENDIVE, what was the small and large end diameters on that  30' log?

Good Lord, 95% of our cherry here doesn't even grow to be 30' tall, let alone produce a 30' log.

Greenedive

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on February 18, 2007, 07:42:22 AM
I knew Keith when I was with the ACF (Association of Consulting Foresters). I have always heard good stuff about Keith. I also know Cliff Carts. He was on the Board of Directors of the PA Forestry Assn. with me many moons ago.
How close are you to Roulette? I went to a party there a couple of years ago. I don't know if I'll ever be the same. :D

:D Roulette, huh?  :D I was born and raised about 3 miles from there and besides college, lived within 6 miles of there till about 4 years ago. A party is Roulette can be an event, for sure.... ;D

I've subcontracted for Keith the last two years and you couldn't ask for a better person to work with. He made a reputation while he was still young for doing quality work and many of the biggest landowners in this area have him manage their timberlands.

Cliff Carts and his wife were very close friends of my grandparents. Cliff was a very astute player in the game and if he was managing your timberland, you knew you were in good hands. His son, Jeff has since taken over the business.

Greenedive

Quote from: Phorester on February 18, 2007, 08:23:31 AM
GREENDIVE, what was the small and large end diameters on that 30' log?
Good Lord, 95% of our cherry here doesn't even grow to be 30' tall, let alone produce a 30' log.

Hey Phorester,
Seems like the top end of that one was just over 30" at 30'. I think there was three 10' logs above the butt and one smaller 12' in the one limb. Can't remember what the butt measurement was. There were several bigger trees that came down on that job, but that was my shortest video clip.  :) My son, who was waiting on the results of his bar exam was skidding for me on that job and took the videos. He took vids on the biggest one on the job, but the video was way too long and I didn't know how to crop it. JeffB sent me a program to do that, so maybe someday I can post that one. It was taken from closer and really shows the size better. That one was pushing 60" across the butt, but only had a 24' veneer in it. Some of the nicest timber I have ever cut. ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Greenedive on February 16, 2007, 09:55:13 PM
They say the Black Cherry in this area of north-central PA is the highest quality in the world.

Yup, I've even been told that way up here above the Tundra line.

Quote from: Phorester on February 18, 2007, 08:23:31 AM

GREENDIVE, what was the small and large end diameters on that  30' log?

Most of ours are the same and full of black knot. But, I did see a few nice ones up by Mountain Lake in Virginia around 20 inches at breast. Biggest one I cut here was 22 inches on the but with 1 cm per year growth in an orchard. My brother has a couple large ones in his yard, they are pretty mangy looking with black knot but good sized trees for here. He doesn't know much about trees, to him they are just trees. ;)  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Greenedive

Say SD,
Black Knot in cherry can be turned producing some fabulous grain and beautiful green and pink coloration if it's big enough...
But....shhhh...don't tell TF :D

All the cherry in north-central PA isn't high quality, there are areas of red rot and usually where you find black knot the quality is poor. But there is a belt.....

Jeff

whoo doggy!  I'd love to be the one opening that baby up.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

WOW!!  Them's NICE logs 8) 8)  I'd like to be the guy getting the check for them ;) ;D :) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Norm

I don't think I've drooled this much over a picture since I got my new SI calender.  ;D

Nate Surveyor

I just may display my ignorance...

My neighbor just knocked down a real nice 12" Cherry. I want to get it before it becomes firewood.

What does it mean "Vernier Grade"?

How do I tell?

I want to get it. Now is (maybe) a time that a band saw comes in handy... when a few extra boards really counts. I dunno.

Anyway, how should I mill it?

That small is a little hard to quarter saw.

N
I know less than I used to.

SwampDonkey

I think the consensus on here would be to flat saw cherry to see the grain.

I was wondering after I read that a piece of limb wood was used as a sawlog. That would be very unstable wood as it dried. I have some, it's in the firewood pile. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Nate
It's 'veneer' grade, and here is a link to a pub that gives some good info on it.

Veneer log grade info
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

I remember a few years back where the cherry in that area went for $3.25/bf on the stump.  Every sawlog was produced at a loss.  The veneer on that job was just extreme to carry all those other logs.

It was on state land in Potter County.

Greenedive

Quote from: Nate Surveyor on February 20, 2007, 10:29:58 AM
What does it mean "Vernier Grade"?

In a nutshell, Nate,
Veneer grade is without visible defect or when the market is hot...very little defect. In other words...a perfect log. In Black Cherry that means...no cat faces, no gum (or very little), no shake. rot, split or other blemish.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 20, 2007, 10:48:51 AM
I was wondering after I read that a piece of limb wood was used as a sawlog. That would be very unstable wood as it dried. I have some, it's in the firewood pile. ;)

Hmmmm Swamp Donkey...
When I mentioned taking a log out of a limb...what I am referring to is not some gnarly, twisted branch....but a piece at least 10" on the small end and straight for at least 8'. By limb I meant anything that was above the primary crotch. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Thank You Sponsors!