iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of diesel keeps climbing

Started by JoeyLowe, February 22, 2003, 07:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyLowe

>:(  Price of diesel in East Texas is now at $1.75 gallon.  What's the going rate elsewhere?  Saw in the Wall Street Journal yesterday that the economists are worried that we are about to enter a historical recession that will dwarf the Great Depression.  The paper stated that crude is at $37/barrel and is slowly creeping up.  The economists have benchmarked $40/barrel as the price that will start the recession especially if it stays that high for longer than a month.

Of course, you guys with the "lectric" motors will absorb this a little better. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Tillaway

On highway is between $1.79 and $1.89 around here.

Out of the Redding area to the North it has been over $2.00 for a while.

We just had a trucking company close here that had 160 employees.  Outrageous workmans comp rates (twice the rate of the next most expensive state) and fuel are the reasons.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

SawInIt CA

I just filled up and it was 1.79.9 in central california  Ouch. Still only $5 a day for the Woodmizer though

crosscut

:o 1.81 a gallon in florida today is what i paid

Haytrader

Hay truck travels from S W Kansas to south of Amarillo, Tx. which is 300 miles. Bought deisel yesterday in Amarillo for $1.62, 166 gallon......ouch!
Haytrader

ADfields

Palmer Alaska, deisel $1.66 and gas $1.69   It's been like this for 2 years now so nothing new for us.   In the last 2 years we have seen a gas low of $1.48 and a high of $1.76.   The $1.48 was when the feds were looking into a price fixing clame, as soon as thay sead thay found no price fixing it went to $1.64 the next day all over town. :-/

Joey, dont buy all that Great Depression crap from the price of oil.   Gas was $.18 to $.22 a galon back in the Great Depression and my Dad worked a 18 hour day for $.90 back then.   So that math would say for it to be like it was then gas would be around $20 a glaon.   Them  economists are all a bunch of nay sayers!   I have herd this story about every other year all my life and it's never been right yet. ;)   I think thay are just trying to get a change/flux in the market one way or the other so thay can make more money somehow.   Dont fret about it none, just keep cutting and makeing money for you! ;D   The sky aint fallin!
Andy

Ron Wenrich

Looking at the futures markets, there isn't any sign of $40/barrel oil quite yet.  I bought a futures contract back in November, and sold it in December, for a nice profit.  I could have held onto it, but i didn't like some of the fundamentals.

Most of the reason for high oil prices are low oil reserves, and the strike in Venuzela.  That strike could be over at any time, or it could last a long time.  That will cause a plunge in the oil market, since much of our imported oil comes from there.  Warm weather will also help the reserves, if people don't drive more.  

Any war actions in Iraq will cause a momentary spike in the market.  But, profit taking will push it down rather quickly.  A prolonged war will have some effect on the oil prices.  

They could open up the national oil reserves, which was promised, to help ease any oil shortages or depress the price.  

Prices in my area have been $1.57 for gasoline, and about $1.85 for diesel.  Home heating is about $1.37.

High gas prices will help lead to a lingering economic downturn.  Consumers just won't have as much money if oil prices remain high.  Higher transportation of goods is usually passed onto the consumer.  They also feel poor, since they spent an extra $5/week on higher gas prices.

The bigger problems looms with consumer debt and deficit spending.  In order to fund the deficit, interest rates will have to rise to attract that kind of money into the treasury.  That will hit harder than any fuel price increases.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

redpowerd

our red diesel is set at .92 untill late spring, hopfully after all the corn is in. burnig 3 to 400 gallons a day at 1.80 sounds like my feilds should be fallow.  too  bad it costs so much to feed the world. how much corn does iraq export, anyway?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Ed_K

In Greenfield Ma. I payed $1.999 on friday. For O T R. :-/
Ed K

D._Frederick

As of Wed. in NW Ore, No.2 Off hiway diesel was $1.28 bought in 400gallon lots.

Fla._Deadheader

Here's my 1.699's worth. This ain't diesel but, it's the same principal.
The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should
>  return the favor. An interesting thought is to
>  boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up the car,
>you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of
>  Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't
>  import their oil from the Saudis.
>
>  Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that
>  every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money
>  to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and
>  my friends.
>
>  I thought it might be interesting for you to know
>  which oil companies are the best
>to buy gas from and which major companies import
>  Middle Eastern oil
>
>Shell............................205,742,000 barrels
>Chevron/Texaco.............144,332,000 barrels
>  Exxon /Mobil.................130,082,000 barrels
>  Marathon/Speedway......117,740,000 barrels
>  Amoco...........................62,231,000 barrels
>
>  If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports
>amount to over $18 BILLION!
>
>  Here are some large companies that do not import
>Middle Eastern oil:
>
>  Citgo....................0 barrels
>Sunoco............. ..0 barrels
>Conoco............. ..0 barrels
>Sinclair............... 0 barrels
>BP/Phillips.......... 0 barrels
>  Hess...................0 barrels
>
>  All of this information is available from the
>  Department of Energy and each is required to state
>  where they get their oil and how much they are
>  importing.They report on a monthly basis. Keep this
>  list in your car; share it with friends. Stop paying
>for terrorism.............
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

johnjbc

February fuel delivery at .83 :D :D

I get my tanks filled in the summer and as long as I keep the wood burner going it lasts all winter. I usually fill my gas farm tank in February but won't be doing that this year. ::) ::)

We have thousands of acres of tree tops that are left to rot, to say nothing of the national Forests that are burning due to fuel load. If this were used to make alcohol we wouldn't need to import oil

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

J Beyer

I pay nothing for mine for my OTR truck. ;D  Many company terminals with fuel islands.  Otherwise it is about $1.739 to $1.749 in WI  Roughly 10,000 drivers in my trucking company.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

OneWithWood

Here in Bloomington, IN undyed diesel is going for 169.9 at the coop.

Ron hit the nail on the head.  Higher fuel prices are just another result of the current administrations amteurist approach to international relationships.  What will kill our economy is the high interest brought on by increased deficit spending.  On the bright side - the US dollar soon won't be worth squat so our trade imbalance might improve - NOT!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

redpowerd

john, something tells me that tank aint fittin thru that door :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

RMay

Price of diesel in Arkansas went down 5 cents today. 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Norm

Dyed diesel is about $1.40 if you buy 300 gallons or more.

If we could have only given the prior administration four more years I'm sure peace would reign throughout the world and oil would be $15 a barrel. But since we have decided to stand up to our enemies instead of trying to appease them things will be tough for a while. Time to quit passing our problems off to the next generation because we don't want to deal with them now.

JoeyLowe

I noticed that yesterday too.  Our prices fell from $1.73 two days ago to $1.61 yesterday.  Wonder if there might have been some price gouging going on?
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

redpowerd

norm, with all due respect, if we had the prior "administration"
in office today, we could count our major cities left standing on one hand. REMEMBER 9-11.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

MrMoo

In NH Diesel has been around $1.75-1.80 for a while.
Gas is about $1.61-1.66.

Bro. Noble

redpowered,

You need to read Norm's post again.  

I think our cities as well as the female employees in the Whitehouse are a little safer with the change in the administration.

Norm is just saying that sometimes you have to pay a (hopefully temporary) price to do what needs to be done.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Norm

That's OK redpowered, nobody gets my jokes that I tell at gatherings either :D, I was being a bit sarcastic about the previous admin.

Mark M

Hey - I can count all the major cities in North Dakota on one hand even with my thumb tied behind my back  :D :D

burlman

boo hoo I wish I could cry along with you all. We just finished plowing 12 in. of snow. Went down to the gas station to fill up My diesel ford plow truck. Ow! 84.9 cents a litre. That's 3.82 for a canadian gallon, which is a little bigger than the american gal. I filled up my 2 tanks, that was 82.00 dollars thank you very much. High test for the c-saws, and mill is at 94.9 a litre, x 4.5 litres to a gallon. up the rates again....burlman.

ARKANSAWYER

Paid $1.65 for diesel and $1.19 for off road and $1.59 for gas yesterday.  It is just jumping up and down every day.  If it stays at $37 a barrel then the home fields will start to open and start producing oil again.  If we start using the oil for Alaska it could go down.  Of course a good trip to Bagdad with a gook a$$ kicking when we get there could solve alot of these problems.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!