iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood clam

Started by Stephen Alford, February 15, 2007, 12:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Alford

Hope I am not being a nusiance here but all of this has really helped me learn to run this computer. I just don't trust anything without a clutch. This is like a 20 $ grapple option. Just pins on , cut two pieces out of old barrel. Really usefull for putting in culverts,  bridge construction, loads sawdust shale or chips. Its called a scotch backhoe ,just needs the plaid paint. The cab for the loader is a work in progress. needs to be colaspable to get under wires. Wires are such a pain when they get wrapped around the mast, not to mention the bruising from some homeowner. ::)
img]
logon

Coon

Cool rigging.  Need some more pics and info on it. Plz. :)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Texas Ranger

Stephen, know any Staples up on PEI?  Where my ancestors came from, and still got a methodist minister up there by our name.  Used to be a place called Staples  Brook, now Thuro, or something like that.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Stephen Alford

Hey  TR good to meet you.  One of your relatives is about 4 minutes away even if I caught all the red lights. He has written a book on your family. Well respected name in these parts. Google Staples brook . I am not originally from here but have been married to said islander for 25 years. Still waiting my landed imigrant status )    Cowboys are real plentifull here and some how that is a lot clearer today ! ::) Stephen.
logon

sprucebunny

Great addition to the grapple, Stephen !!!!

Got any more pictures ???

Tell us more about the loader ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Stephen Alford

[/img]Hi coon nice to meet you. Haven't heard much from anyone out your way since that bunch came down here to JOIN us at that confederation bash we held a few years back ! Took another pic for you today. The pickeroon (you have to pay attention when you use that puppie) has a 36in handle. the one bolt holds it in place. tried to make it as light as possible due to extended boom.  Hi sprucebunny hope this helps. ::)
logon

Greenedive

Hey Stephen
What do you use that pickeroon for? It looks well-used, so you must use it frequently?  exclaim_smiley

jon12345

He uses it til he can get in the truck and evade the homeowners that are tryin to bruise him for tearing down their powerlines.  :D :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Stephen Alford

Greendrive what do you run for gear and produce what if I can ask ? ??? ??? ::)Fire wood is the prime product from woodlot enhancement, that is a modified pickeroon. Because I am not vertically challanged the handle is from a splitting axe thus 36 in, the end wore off so use replaceable tips. this is one of three types used,but a favorite. It goes in the truck with favorite axe before lunch does. Found that beer keg in the woods last fall made great fuel can 50 liters stainless handles and portable in a pinch. It requires a little tweaking because it only has one hole in the top. Stephen
logon

Stephen Alford

/img] Jon12345 you only have about 10 minutes to make your untimely departure before the lightshow computers cell phones bla bla bla. At least thats what I hear  ::)
logon

Stephen Alford

Sprucebunny how long have you been working with horses. Tade log truck pics and stories for horse logging pics and stories.  Horse logging now we got a compass bearing. 8) 8)  Stephen
logon

Stephen Alford

logon

Greenedive

Stephen...ok, it's a modified pickeroon....but what do you do with it? I've never seen one before....

:D :D jon12345

Kewl Fuel Tank ;D

Greenedive

Quote from: Stephen Alford on February 16, 2007, 09:39:36 AM
Greendrive what do you run for gear and produce what if I can ask ? ??? ??? ::)

Stephen,
I've got an older TimberJack Skidder and a John Deere 450 dozer and I run 660 Stihls, just switched this last year from 395 Huskys. I work alone.
I cut logs and pulpwood. This area is known for it's quality Black Cherry. Black Cherry, Red Oak, and Hard Maple are the 3 big three money trees around here. Mostly cut Black Cherry in the cooler weather and then switch to Oak in the summertime.

Stephen Alford

Hey Greenedrive, sorry I didn't explain that very well.  When trail cutting the wood has to be sorted and piled for scaling then yarding. Its really more alining than piling. directional felling is the key ,what to do and when . The trees are dropped limbed and cut to length. Most the time its firewood so the trees are felled on top of each other and the cuts are made in the same place. In mixed stands some sorting. The pickeroon allows you to  move the wood without bending. left,right or drag.  If a stick has to be picked up you stand beside the wood and  stick it in the end and back up lifting the stick. The extra wt of it versus short hook works much better in frozen wood. Its also used for driving in wedges without bending over and felling is a bit safer. For me I like to keep one hand on the tree at this point as I will feel movement before seeing it. At the landing its used for picking up blocks of wood to put on the splitter.  I process my wood wiyh a shear system-saw combination. All the stuff is pretty much home made at the very least modified. What the stuff is called  my differ from what you might call it . The key is my welder buddy. He can weld noodles together  and they will not break at least at the weld.  I will stick a couple more pics in my gallery if you want to give them a parusal .
logon

thecfarm

Greenedive.fellow this link to hookaroons         logrite hookaroons.

Seems like DanG uses one and really likes them.I've never used one but have seen them at pallet mills. They would seem to work good.You don't have to pick a board up or a piece of wood up,just strike it and pull it towards you.
Like the idea for the clam Stephen.Wiil have to remember that if and when I ever get one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Greenedrive your mo sounds pretty familiar. I run detriots, there is no replacement for displacement!!. The only reason to ever cuse one was the day I had to learn about that secondary kill swith on the air intake side the hard way. (Treefarmer) . Stephen
logon

Stephen Alford

Hey cfarm were like neighbors if we don't count NB :) Stephen
logon

farmerdoug

I have a LogRite hookaroon that use all the time around the mill.  It is great for grabbing boards but I use it more for moving logs around under 18inches.  After that I use one of my collection of LogRite cant hooks.

The hookaroon is great for moving smaller logs, cants and ties around.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Greenedive

Kinda like a wood hook...with a handle, huh? :D

Learned to use them early with that 54" wood. :(

Stephen Alford

I first used one picking deadheads,there is a memory from under the rocks. Stephen
logon

Greenedive

Wow Stephen...there's another new one on me...dare I ask what picking deadheads would be??? :D

Stephen Alford

There is a picture of the river I grew up on in my gallery. They used to run all the lumber down the river to the pulpmill and it was collected in large booms on the river above the mill. Then processed by the mill. In the fall after most of the wood had gone to the mill and for years after they stoped using the river,those holding areas were full of dead heads . Wood that got water logged and sunk. You would go out at low tide and retrieve the dead heads on a raft. usually two guys. They would start piling the wood in the middle loading towards the end. as the tide came in they worked there way to shore and beech the raft as high up the bank as you could. Then load the deadheads on a truck by hand and resell them to the mill. I was just a kid but what I remember most was the men coming ashore in late november with big iscles on their beards and faces. Told myself I would never have anything to do with the woods . Denial is where I am the happiest ::) Stephen
logon

Greenedive

Sounds like the stuff they are getting off the bottom of the Great Lakes....I was diving up at Clayton on the St Lawrence and saw them taking out some logs from the river and went over and talked to them...and they told me they were shipping them over to Germany to use the wood to repair the old cathedrals.....

Thank You Sponsors!