iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln without electricity?????????????

Started by Gabby, February 15, 2007, 12:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabby

Can this be done and if so how?  The only place I can built a solar kiln, after the 4 ft of snow leaves, will not have electricity. Can the kiln operate without power? Fans, ect.
Thanks to everyone in advance.
Never enuf time

Brian_Rhoad

You could use solar panels to run fans. They would run during the day and shut off at night. I saw an article about one built like that. It was totaly solar powered.

Peakebrook

I am currently building an off-grid solar kiln.  It has polycarbonate glazing (16'x12'), three dc fans, and two solar panels.

I hope to have it finished in a couple of weeks.  I am waiting until things warm up a bit before I cut the hemlock siding.  Pictures to follow.
WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

Larry

Moisture has to get out of the kiln somehow...the only way I know is with a fan.

Could you use wind power to run a generator?  My fan is an old furnace blower...always thought about extending the fan shaft out through the side of the kiln and installing a wind turbine on it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Gabby

Hey Peekebrook
Re: Hemlock siding. What thickness will you be using?
Transplanted Connecticut Yankee
Never enuf time

Peakebrook

I am going with one inch reverse board and batten (10inch boards on 5 inch battens with a two inch gap).  I want it to look similar to my existing barn.

fuzzybear

I have a small solar panel and automotive battery that I have been experimenting with. I have 2-12v fans running on a timer, and even with the limited sunlight we have here in December I was able to run the fans for 6 hours before the batteries were drained.
   The solar panel is one of those type that you fold up and put in your glove compartment. Not sure of the wattage. (it's out at the woodlot rite now) It's designed to maintain your battery on you car.
   I paid a total of $150 for the solar panel and fans. The battery I had laying around. I am going to use a deep cycle battery when I start to use the kiln. They are made for drawing down and recharging multipule times and last longer than automotive batteries.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ianab

Dont think those little fans / panels are going to move enough air?

I would suggest a decent solar panel, capable of putting out a several amps @12 volts, will probably cost you several hundred $$, but can power a couple of decent fans. Battery backup shouldn't be necessary as the fans only need to run when the sun is shining, when if gets dark, they stop running.

Fans
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/Catalogpages2/appliancDC2.htm#LARGE%20DC%20FANS

Panels
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/Catalogpages2/solar2.htm

Going to cost a few dollars to set up properly, but you can probably get a better deal on the gear by shopping around.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fuzzybear

Ian,
   Up here in the north I have 24 hours of sunlight in the summer so getting enough light for the solar panels is not a problem. Even in December when the sun is visable for only 3-4 hrs a day I still had enough power to run two fans for 5 hrs or so.  I was thinking of adding 2 more for the kiln. These are 12" 12v fans and they do move alot of air. I tried one of those smaller fans and you are right they don't move enough air.
   With the additional fans I will almost surely need at least one more panel and 3 batteries to run the fans. I am looking for a high temp thermostat to run them with so I can hook up 2 fans for the lower temps and set the other 2 on a seperate one for higher temps.
  FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Hokiemill

I'm about to start going down the same path - building a totally solar kiln due to lack of power at my milling site.  My plan is to utilize three of those 12" 12v attic fans.  If you buy them with a 10watt panel, the price runs about $250 times 3.  To cut down a tad on the money and improve power, I'm planning on getting three of the fans with no panels ($150 ea) and then one of those 45watt panels from HarborFreight ($199).  Any thoughts from anyone who has experience with an all solar kiln?

submarinesailor

On April 26-27, 2007, Virginia Tech will be offering a "Drying Lumber with a Solar Dry Kiln" in Blacksburg.  Info can be found at:Drying with a Solar Kiln.  Cost; $125 per person.  Drs. Brain Bond and Fred Lamb will be instructing - Don P, Brian instructing the class in Madison we took.

I think VT has a set of pans for solar kilns somewhere on their web site.

Bruce

Peakebrook

Aristar.com sells solar panels and DC fans.  They have a good chart regarding fan CFM based on wattage.  It may be better to get two smaller panels are run them in series to get 24 volts.  Also, compare the 12 and 16 inch cans for CFM output.   

The Virginia Tech site will give good specs regarding how much air movement is needed based on your intended kiln size.

Quebecnewf

I have built a solar kiln. Small scale 5x11" angle on front wall 45 deg. It runs only only on solar power. Solar powered fan no battery. When the sun shines the fan runs when its dark all drying stops. Works good I dry one load of about 500 to 700 bf a year. I know I could do 2 loads if I tried but this is just for my own use so no rush. Idry mostly birch as a hardwood.  Any type of softwood you can dry in a few weeks in the summer months.

My kiln is located on a small island next to my sawmill shed. No electricity.

The kiln is the building on the left the sawmill is the building on the right .

Quebecnewf

timcosby

doing it without solar panals and fans.   o.k. here goes a theory. a solar collector built 1' thick and as long as the wood box and about 10' wide laying on the ground or slightly elevated with vents in one end and the other end vented into a box for the wood. the wood box would have a vent up high in the back to create the convection to get the hot air through the wood. don't know how hot you could get it but should be fairly warm and move air through the stack. hmmmmmm!

KnotBB

Has anybody tried/thought of using automotive 12V radiator fans for air movment in a solar situation?  I have no idea what the current draw would be but they are designed to withstand high heat and be very durable.  Should be very cheap too. 

Steve
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

Thank You Sponsors!