iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powder Post Beetles

Started by 333_okh, February 14, 2007, 06:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

333_okh

I have some rough sawn hardwood that was given to me that I need to go pick up.  Problem is htat some of it has the beetles in the outer sapwood.  Is there a danger that they will get into my other drying wood if I bring this onsite?

Tom

Yes.

It can be fumigated to kill adults but the only way to get rid of the infestation is Heat.  Putting it in a kiln or heat box such that the center of lumber reaches 130° and holding it there fo a while is the cure.

333_okh

great, not really what I hace access to right now.

Tom

well, I'm not sure where you are or the proximity of the new wood to the wood that you have stored, but keep in  mind that you are exposed to all of these insects all of the time anyway.  That doesn't mean that you can intermix the lumber and feel secure that you will avoid an infestation.  You might find a way to store it on your property where you can begin to control the maturity of the beetles and kill them before they leave to innoculate your other wood.   It might be as simple as wrapping the wood in plastic and setting off an insecticide bomb inside.  If it is truly sealed, the poison will kill adults, even those that hatch over time. The sun may get the wood hot enough to heat treat it this summer.

Don't give up unless it is just beyond your capabilities to manage it.  :)

333_okh

The room I use to store my short lumber and turning blocks is 15 feet x 30 feet with a garage type door on one side and a regular door on the other.  It has a tight seal if the roof vent is closed.  I have a dehumidifier and a heating system in there.  I have everything turned off right now and I set off a bug bomb in the room.   I will repeat in a week and again in two weeks.

I have had some other insect species in the room and I thought I might have the pwder from the beetles near a scrap stack that I was waiting to be dry to use as firewood.

Any other ideas?

WDH

Remove the potentially infested wood if there is other valuable uninfested wood in the vicinity.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

333_okh

I have, but I blew the fogger anyway.

I wonder if these foggers will work.  They are listed for a space twice the size of the dry shed.  I inspected all pieces (hundreds) of them and only found the one piece with any signs.  It was an edge piece of burl maple that was cut for turning wood.

Justin L

The 130* will kill the adults AND the eggs. The eggs can hatch up to a year later if not heated. Just enough time to feel safe and build something and install it in someone elses house...
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

Don P

The bug bombs will likely take you out long before they take out a ppb  ;).

333_okh

Fortunately this wood is all inspected board by board, but the potentially infected wood is still not with my current wood drying.  I just got worried and bombed the shed anyway.

333_okh

Quote from: Justin L on February 26, 2007, 08:35:03 PM
The 130* will kill the adults AND the eggs. The eggs can hatch up to a year later if not heated. Just enough time to feel safe and build something and install it in someone elses house...

Help me on  the *130???

beenthere

I suspect it is 130° F he's indicating.

(to get the degree mark, do an "alt 248" and the degree mark will pop up. Not sure what all the other codes are using the alt key, along with the number pad, but there are several).
A few others are
alt 171  ½
alt 238   ε
alt 172   ¼
alt 169   ⌐
alt 155   ¢
alt 0190  ¾
alt 241   ±
alt 64     @
alt 0134  †
alt 248   °
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

To kill powderpost beetle, the infected wood must be brought to a temp. of 130° or better for an extended period to kill the eggs laid in the egg chambers within the wood by the adults.

Those holes in the wood are created by adults as they leave.

http://www.powderpostbeetles.com/

For those who like to use characters other than on the keyboard, look in the area of the icons at the top of the page when creating a post.  There you will see a window made especially for you, called Special Characters. 

333_okh

Thanks guys!  I think the wood will stay on the current site until/if I get a proper location to cook them.

None the less, my shop is clear of all insects now!

beenthere

Thanks Tom
Learn more about sumtin every day here......... :)

±
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed

I just got my ppb infected ambrosia maple back from the mill, it went for a nice little "vacation" in their kiln. I've been watching it for a week now, with no signs of the little buggers.  ;D  8) ;D  8)  ;D  8)
Needless to say, it's not going to be stored in the firewood shed anymore.

Ed

Justin L

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know how to do the deg mark. Actually, I still don't :( It doesnt work if I hold the alt key while I hit numbers, or if I press and release to hit the numbers. I never use the alt key, sooo what do I do?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

Tom

Thank You Sponsors!