iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

snow moveing time

Started by bedway, February 14, 2007, 10:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIKER

Those weather people say it is supposed to warm up this week and maybe melt some of the snow with rain on top!  Might just get some more winter flooding like 2 years back where our road was closed by 3~4' of water & ice flows which took better half of a month to get cleared out after the bitter cold turned it all into solid ice dams...   Wish I had taken some pics of that I'd sure ly post them.   

I had to clear all that snow in the above pics by hand using snow shovel. no blower or tractor here in town.   The farm was/is worse with drifts thigh high that I had to wade into/through to get out the tractor my purple crown vic was stuck at the end of the drive.   the tractor cleaned up pretty well, but left the car setting 14" in the air where I tried to get it far enough onto property to be off the road, I knew I would have to pull it off, (have to most snowy years) when I hooked up this year to it to pull it off the dang thing melted into snow & re-froze.   Spun all 4 tractor tires and only managed to string the 3/8" chain tight enough to play a tune on it.  had to get shovel and dig out a bunch of frozen snow & ice from under car then re-pull which still took a bunch of yanking.  :o ::)  Well it came out the yard is now good & full of my drive gravel and next spring I'll have to re-sharpen the blades 30 times  ::)
MarkM
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

tomboysawyer

Quote from: stonebroke on February 16, 2007, 08:10:55 PM
Looks like you need a tractor and front end loader.

stonebroke

Moving snow with a loader is painfully slow.

My plow vehicle remains in the shop. But the loader does move the banks back real nice and allows me to put the snow on the sides of the drive that will do the least damage when it hits 40 degres on Wednesday.

stonebroke

Actually when you get three feet I think a tractor is just as quick because you have to back up so much with the plow to get a running start and a plow will only push so much.

Stonebroke

tomboysawyer

This loader has a top speed of about 3.5mph. But I can't imagine you'd want to go much faster.
Took me 5 hours to clear out 1/8th mile of driveway and my whole sawmill area. I guess that includes the 20 minutes it took to drive it 1.5 miles between my house and my construction lot.

There's no way a plow truck would clean out the sawmill like the loader without a lot more hand work.

Only got the loader stuck once - hubby got it stuck and while he trudged for chain, I grabbed a shovel and had it out and working before he got back. Then he took pictures while I worked the snow. Its not so deep here because the wind had swept through here.

SwampDonkey

Ok, I took the snow depth in the woods today. Total accumulation without the influence of wind is 22 inches. The last storm dumped 8 inches according to my snow shoe trail.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

breederman

been clearing roofs all morning. :(  -10 this morning and may rain tomorrow afternoon.  I bet three feet of snow will hold more  water than some of my sheds can hold up.
  I didn't measure,but the goat house must have had near four feet on it,  made some niose when i raked it off!
Together we got this !

Thank You Sponsors!