iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to sell LARGE timber

Started by Blue Duck, February 14, 2007, 08:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Duck

I wa walking the river trail with my daughter last Sunday and down in the bottom I saw a tremendous tree and had to go investigate.  Best I can tell it's a maple of some sort, surrounded by huge sycamores and river birches.  I didn't have a tape measure with me, of course but I'm guessing it's in the 5' to 6' breast height range but I have been fooled before.  I've been thinking alot about how big that tree was and if anything ever happened to blow it down how a man could get it out of there and sell it.  then the question came to my mind-  Where would a man sell a tree like that.  All the mills I regularly trade with around here will not even scale a tree over 48" except maybe the pallet mill and they are not goingto pay what logs from a tree like that are potentially worth.  I'm assuming I'm going to have to haul it out of state but I just wanted to pick the rest of your brains about it.  Do any of you know of a mill that deals with the big stuff (5',6', 7') and pays what it's probably worth?
I don't know what your ambitions are in life..
but you ain't gonna get them done drinkin decafe coffee

TexasTimbers

You probably don't know what it's worth until you crack it open and see how much adrenaline it causes your body to make. If it's standard fare plain grain it's not gonna bring much even though it is wide.

Trees like you describe are why you need a slabber. Most mills won't mess with behemoths. You can find plenty of furniture hobbyists who will make tables form the slabs though. Just don't think you've hit the jackpot it's a LOT of work and you could open it up to find it is hollow or punky.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Greenedive

GR,
If it is Hard Maple and of high quality...the veneer buyers will come flocking to YOU...they will find a way to get it out....but...like Kevjay says...you won't know till you get it on the ground.... :(

Blue Duck

Quote from: Greenedive on February 14, 2007, 09:27:31 AM
GR,
If it is Hard Maple and of high quality...the veneer buyers will come flocking to YOU...they will find a way to get it out....but...like Kevjay says...you won't know till you get it on the ground.... :(

I appreciate the responses.  Like I said this particular tree is one of those big "What if's" that in this case will probably never materialize.  First it's on property set aside as "Greenway" land that is controled by the "Greenway Commitee".  If one of these big trees does blow down I assume I would have to make a proposal to remove the tree and sell it and split it with them so they can buy more picnic tables but the biggest question I had was where would I ever sell a tree like that if I get the chance to cut one in the future.
I don't know what your ambitions are in life..
but you ain't gonna get them done drinkin decafe coffee

Don P

I've seen one mill, I think in PA offering wide boards for floors and architectural. Groff and Hearn, I think, hopefully somebody knows better. Alot of greenway would be hard to get equipment into, swinger on the average trees?

GHRoberts

www.hearnehardwoods.com has a 67" bandmill.

www.talaricohardwoods.com/logyard.htm has a really nice band mill.

Ron Wenrich

A number of years ago I had a timber sale where the red oak averaged 36".  The largest on that job was 54" dbh, and we figured some of the trees might be William Penn trees (trees that were around when William Penn founded Pennsylvania).

Not many mills could cut many of these trees.  We put it out on bids and the top bidder was a logger.  The check came from the Bank of Bavaria.  Veneer companies put up the money for the job.

If I recall the largest logs had to be taken out on lowboys.  Log loaders couldn't pick up the logs. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ianab

QuoteDo any of you know of a mill that deals with the big stuff

Thats where swingblade portable mills come in.

Single tree, mill it where it fell, no heavy machinery, mill and timber can be in and out on a trailer behind a quad bike if need be. No damage to the surrounding area (apart from when the tee fell of course) With a slabber attachment you can get the big wide table and bar tops, but even if you have to take it out in 8x1 qsawn boards there can be a LOT of nice timber in that sort of log.  ;D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

solodan

Thank You Sponsors!