iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coming up for Air

Started by crtreedude, February 13, 2007, 08:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I bet some of you were wondering if the boa constrictor finally got me. Nope, I haven't slowed down enough for it to even get close. As you all probably will recall, about the last time I was able to be really active on the forum was shortly after Jeff and Tammy visited and he ran away to try to get the better of a bear.

Then of course, with holidays and such not (and our daughter getting married and then she and her husband visiting us) - well, I have barely had time to breathe.

We have also been gearing up for a year twice as big as last year which has required hiring new people and getting them into the swing of things. Caring for 50,000+ trees has been taking up sometime too.

Plus, we are building our own home now. (okay - we have a construction person doing it, but we still have to be involved.)

All in all - a very interesting time. But I am back posting now and should remain at it. I am still busier than a Alaskan sawmill operator trying to keep up with a circle saw, but there is no hope of that changing for at least 6 months.

I have been reading some of the posts when I could sneak the time - so I am not TOO behind. I have missed being around the cracker barrel and am looking forward to catching up. I will TRY not to make too many comments about the wonderful weather we are having... ;)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Sprucegum

Welcome back , you have a lot of reading to do. This place is getting busier every day  8)

crtreedude

Yeah - but there is a lot I can skip - like southerners trying to convince me that grits are anything besides wallpaper paste. That probably cuts out about half the posts...  ::)

Jeff

Fred I'd like to see some pictures of those trees I saw a year later if possible. Do you have any photos taken at Finca Leola looking out across the trees you can see from the front of the house? I remeber standing there watching the guys mulch the ground with machetes around them on that hill rising up from behind the drive.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Sure Jeff - we actually had a forestry engineer checking the plantation last Friday and so pictures were taken. This is the same field that you visited back in July.

crtreedude

And, I found one of the original pictures for you.

Martin has not shrunk by the way, he is in both pictures. :D

crtreedude

And, it hasn't been a year - you were here in July if I remember right, it only FEELS like a year!

Jeff

Thats just not right. :D Its been what, 8 months?  You gotta tell Martin we said "hey".  We just adored that Family. :)

I think it was actually the first of June...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Just checked, it was June 25th when the picture was taken.

When you realize that teak is only slightly softer than oak (and a LOT more expensive) it just doesn't seem far does it.

I will be seeing Martin tomorrow - I will make sure to say hi for you - he still is wearing the hat you brought.

The person who is standing next to the teak tree is very tall for a Tico - he is about 6 foot tall so you can figure out how tall the trees are. The 2005 trees are excellent - and I think the 2006 are shaping up to be better yet.

I am thinking those trees are probably somewhere between 15 to 18 feet tall. Let's see - if you figure that we have 233 days between today and 6/25/2006, we will make it 240 days just for fun.

And if the trees were roughly 6 foot when you were here and are now 16 foot. Anyone want to calculate much height these trees are growing per day?

Hi-Country Orange

crtreedude, i come up with about 1/2 inch a day , sounds like some real nice weather in cr
                                                                                                                           8)

crtreedude

Yep - you are correct. it is 1/2 a day or there abouts. Glad you answered, I was starting to worry that I had made a mistake by writing a math word problem.  ::)

The weather here is always nice for trees - can be a bit humid for humans at times though.  ;)

Hi-Country Orange

crtreedude are you near the water? if you ever get more work than you handle i'm sure i could find my way to the airport
                                                     8)  :D

crtreedude

Yeah - I suspect that I would have a crowd down here if I wanted them this time of year... We are near Lake Arenal but about 3 hours from the beaches.

crtreedude

Hey, a little more with Martin. You know he has two daughters. Both daughters are in school, which was going to be an issue since one is in the morning classes and the other is in the afternoon class. This would mean that Martin would be spending a lot of time running back and forth since the only thing that is a school bus is a horse with that name.

So, he asked if we could help him get a house in town which we were more than happy to do. So, they live in San Miquel now and Christian and his family live in the big house.

Thank You Sponsors!