iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuelwood prices

Started by flatrock, February 11, 2007, 10:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock

I read in the Cincinatti newspaper where firewood this winter is selling for $260 per cord.  It got me thinking.  A local mill here in the Ozark pays $20/ton delivered for pallet logs min. 8" small end.  The conversion chart I looked at says 2.75 cords per ton for mixed hardwood.  So, I guess the mill could buy a cord for roughly $10 let it set/season a year run it through a firewood processer and transport it up north and sale it at wholesale for $130 or 13 times what they paid for it???  I guess the transportation costs involved in moving large volumes of wood via semi-truck or rail car would make this a losing proposition.

Gary_C

$260/cord-----sounds about right. In most metro areas here firewood is going for about $110/face cord delivered.

2.75 cords /ton----that's wrong. The pulp mills here use 2.25 TONS/CORDfor aspen and 2.4 for maple. You got it turned around.

transportation costs-----would make this a losing proposition.  YEP   8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

farmerdoug

Flatrock,

I beleive that you have the conversion backwards.  It should be 2.75 tons to a full cord or close to that anyways.  At 10 a cord I am sure it would rot in the woods and I do not see where they make much at $10/ton either.  But that is still a good price on wood.  You would be best to find a trucker that needs a back haul from your area to the area you going with it.  That would make shipping alot cheaper and palletize the wood for easy handling.  You never know you maybe our firewood king here on the forum.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Ed_K

Got the trusty log rules book out.Theses are #per cord.
ash         4,150
aspen      4,000
beech      5,100
birch        5,300
cherry      4,100
hickory     5,850
maple hd   5,350
maple sft   4,600
oak rd       5,500
walnut       4,900
I sell mixed on the landing @$45.00 per cord here in Ma. most truckers are selling 7-8 cord tri axle loads for $550.00 The cut,split and deliver guys are getting $180. a cord.
Ed K

Corley5

Mixed hardwood pulp is bringing $45.00 on the landing here also.  I could buy all I wanted at 70 a cord delivered and if I was patient might even find it for 60.  Cut, split and delivered 16" face cords are going for 50 to 65 in the classifieds.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

The beer money firewood guys were having a good time this year as the snow didn't come til way late.  I saw adds for as little as 40 bucks a face cord.  With the snow these adds disappeared  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Prices around here per cord is going for $175 green to $245 dry.Have heard in the big city it's up to $300.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

I don't have any $$ numbers or conversion from tons/cords.  But a couple of years ago a large logging/real estate outfit bought a large farm just south of it.  They cut everything of value off of it.  We tried to buy some low grade oak logs but got nowhere. On top of everything else, they were hauling a tractor trailer load of top logs a day to a firewood processor in the St. Louis area.  Said they had a contract to supply 400 trailer truck loads of such logs.  Said it was mostly going to Chicago.  So.... somebody's doing it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!