iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rural Heritage

Started by Mooseherder, February 11, 2007, 03:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

While channel surfing today caught half end of the Rural Heritage show on RFDTV.
It was on harvesting blocks of ice with Teams of Horses. They would cut the large blocks with a large tooth hand saw, lift with tongs and put into a wooden sleigh, then haul into the Homestead Barn. (The 65 year old gentleman also mentions he uses the Team to pull logs out of the Woods 2 days per week.)  The Ice lasts until October! ;)
I pulled up their show schedule looks like they will re-air on next Saturday at 5am central if your awake. :D  I only got about the last 15 minutes of a 30 minute show but it was interesting.

thecfarm

I can one up you on that.Come on up to see me around 9:00 on Sat and we'll go see it for real.We have a place called The Norlands Living History Center and it's back in the early 19th century.My wife and me will be there.Wear something warm.  ;D  Will be lucky if it's 20°.Sorry about the cold,but if it wasn't cold they would not be havesting ice.Click on to Norlands below and you will see the event there.There is a one room school house,farm house,libary,and a sap house and more there.They hold old time dances when it's warm every 2 weeks in the barn.

Norlands
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DWM II

There is a Rural life museum here in Baton Rouge. They have restored settlement buildings from the late 1700's when the arcadians came from Canada, there is a sugar cane grider set up with a boiling kettle that they fire up and make syrup with, an old grist mill for corn, a black smith shop where they get an artisan to show up and hammer out nails and horse shoes for the kids. They have several weekends per year they set up in costume and my wife and I take our kids to enjoy the day, all this is set up on 100 acres or so that have LSU's ag. gardens. Every spring they sell off all the plants the students grow, thats another event we never miss. It also has the best collection of antique tools I've seen.
Stewardship Counts!

thurlow

The Land Between the Lakes (between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake) has a museum/"living, working historical farm" called the Homeplace 1850.  Interesting place for those interested in how our ancestors lived.  One area of disappointment for me.........the employees, in period dress, seemed to have only rudimentary knowledge of what they were doing and the tools they were using, AT LEAST THE TWO TIMES I'VE BEEN THERE;  it may be different at other times.  My early years were not that much different from what they're portraying, i.e., dirt roads, no electricity, no gas, no running water (except what we ran in from the cistern  ;D), no indoor plumbing, EVERYTHING human or animal powered, so I feel somewhat qualified to critique them.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

jon12345

There is a big ice harvest near here in a place called Millers Mills NY, I went when I was young, and it was interesting but I don't think I'll go see it again anytime soon since I get enough cold just walkin to the car  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

LedlieLogs

Down here we don't do much ice harvesting. However I was at a nearby State Park the other day talking with the head ranger about a Longleaf Pine restoration project I am working on with them. The ranger took me over to there industrial area to look at some trees and people were breaking cast iron bathtubs down to credit card size pieces. I could not believe it. They fire up a pre civil war pig iron furnce once a year. It was used to make all kinds of things back then, mostly railroad tracks after the war. When they fire it up each year now they make frying pans with the name of the park in the pan. Highly prized in these parts. It's funny what we rednecks find value in. This is a cool thread.
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

thecfarm

How about this one?Go to Fryburg Fair and you can get a shingle right off the old time shingle mill and they will burn Fryburg Fair and the year in it for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scgargoyle

Quote from: thecfarm on February 15, 2007, 05:35:30 PM
How about this one?Go to Fryburg Fair and you can get a shingle right off the old time shingle mill and they will burn Fryburg Fair and the year in it for you.
They were handing out shingles at the Florida Flywheelers show, too. I was gonna lie, and tell my son I bought it for him, but I had to admit it was free.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Mooseherder

Tomorrow morning 6am eastern time for the re-airing of the Ice Harvest on RFDTV. ;)

thecfarm

Good thing you didn't show up,mooseherder.When they cut a hole in the ice,the water came out of the hole and flooded what they had plowed out.  :(  That made a mess.We had a lot of rain in Dec and early Jan.I think that water was under pressure from the ice.We drove by the pond,but did not bother getting out.They usally have the people that show up help out.Than the guy with the sliegh rides had a hard time breaking a trail down to the pond.I did not go the first time,but one horse fell twice.Probaly the horses were going threw at least a couple feet of wind driven snow,could of been 3 feet too.The wind was really blowing when we was there.This place is mostly done by volunteer help.If the trail would of been broken right after the storm and than teamed acrossed at least twice a day,he would of been all set.Here's a picture of the farm house and the team.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thurlow on February 12, 2007, 09:55:14 AM
The Land Between the Lakes (between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake) has a museum/"living, working historical farm" called the Homeplace 1850.  Interesting place for those interested in how our ancestors lived.  One area of disappointment for me.........the employees, in period dress, seemed to have only rudimentary knowledge of what they were doing and the tools they were using, AT LEAST THE TWO TIMES I'VE BEEN THERE;  it may be different at other times.  My early years were not that much different from what they're portraying, i.e., dirt roads, no electricity, no gas, no running water (except what we ran in from the cistern  ;D), no indoor plumbing, EVERYTHING human or animal powered, so I feel somewhat qualified to critique them.

I remember all that, and it wasn't very long ago. Well, we did have power and an old Pontiac or potato truck. This old place is a lot warmer now than it was back then. :D :D

A lot of big farm houses were like that here to cfarm. House, woodshed and barn all connected. So in a fire the whole thing was lost.  Seen a lot over in Aroostook county as well, but after the war father said things kind of slid down hill. But, before that era it was boom time over there when it was famine on this side of the line. People crossed back and forth for work. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

You can go in any direction and find farm houses just like the one at the Norlands.There are still a few old farm houses just like that are probaly still uninsulated.When I was working for the state we insulated quite a few of these old rambling farm houses,they just seem to go on and on and on.I doubt there are many as fancy as this place.The boys went off and made money,politics,flour and more.I forget how many there was,6 maybe.They came back and poured money into the old farm.How many farm up your way had thier own seperate library made out of granite?

Mooseherder

Sorry I missed your outing cfarm.  That is a cool pic.  Appears to really give great insight for young bloods having volunteers demonstrating awesome cultural traditions. Those volunteers need to be commended for their service. ( I bet they also have a blast)  I also missed the re-airing of Rural Heritage this morning. :D zzzz_smiley
We will be hosting a large bunch of Mainers this week as our oldest is gettin' Married next Saturday.  smiley_heart smiley_thumbsup
They can't wait to get here. :D smiley_sun
I'm gonna melt some cubes in my Crown and Seven. ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on February 17, 2007, 08:58:17 PM
How many farm up your way had thier own seperate library made out of granite?

None, they were lucky to have a sheet of newsprint between the plaster and the inside wall. The plaster was held together with horse hair and pasted on thin wood strapping. We had parlors here,not libraries. Most of these parlors were only used for guests or funerals, had big wooden doors on them to keep the cold out. ;D You must be down near the old granite quarries. We had granite here, but mainly rounded field stones, some are in my cellar walls. ;D Further south around Saint John they would have had more elaborate parlors with mahogany trim and elaborate fireplaces.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jon12345

Quotehorse hair and pasted on thin wood strapping

but mainly rounded field stones, some are in my cellar walls

My mom's house is made like that, and is a TF. We replaced a lot of the plaster and lath with sheetrock but there is still some.  Some parts of the house were stuffed with rye or wheat I'm not sure which.  One of the first houses built in the town that celebrated its bicentennial in the 70's.  Anyone know how to accurately date an old house to find out its exact age other than raising the dead? :D ???  About 100 yards from the house theres an old barn foundation too and silo but they are long gone, trees and grape vines growing over them.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

thecfarm

SwampD,this is probaly the fanciest farmhouse that I've ever seen.All the rest are like what you explained.The boys strunk it rich and came back and helped out the parents.This is told in the tour.Thier is a quarry about 20 minutes away,North Jay.The granite could of came from this one or the one in Hallowell about 45 minutes away.
Moooseherder,no wonder I did not see you there,you're getting ready for a wedding.   ;D  Have fun.
My brother bought a big old house in the city and that had sawdust for insulation in the attic.

SwampDonkey

This here house and wood fibre for insulation. Looks like dried pulp, you just blow it in. I think it's made from recycled paper actually. The big attic and garage is fibre glass pink.

Dave Shepard

On February 19 I cut ice at Hancock Shaker Village, it never got above 0° all day. We harvested about a ton, but very few people showed up to watch, to cold I guess. The Shakers used about 200 tons per year.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don_Papenburg

My Dads mothers family had the ice house in Streator .  They were fresh from Germany when they started the biz.   I have one of the ice saws in my shed .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

Purchased by the Quebec Government in 1961 from Brigadier Bruce Reford

The site was a summer retreat of George Stephen (later Lord Mount Stephen), a railroad baron who founded the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1880 and presided over the syndicate that built the transcontinental railroad that linked Montreal to Vancouver, completed in 1885. He came there to fish Atlantic Salmon. In 1891 he moved to England to take his seat in the House of Lords, and rarely visited Canada afterward. His niece Elsie Stephen Meighen, who also came to fish, canoe, hunt and ride horse back over the years, inherited the property in 1918. Later an appendicitis operation curtailed those activities and her doctor suggested to take up gardening. In 1926 she began to layout the garden on 20 acres and it took ten years to complete.

read more here --->> http://www.historicplaces.ca/theme/theme8_e.aspx

Here's a picture of the mansion. This is the side facing the St. Lawrence. There is a school, restaurant, store and lodgings there. Most of it is a museum now. The building is much longer then this side view.

Some pics of the gardens:

SwampDonkey

Some History of George Stephen whose niece founded the Reford Gardens.

Some History of Robert Meighen her father.

If you google some of those companies listed in the link above you'll see some interesting history and how one is linked to another. These guys and Donald Alexander Smith (later to become 1st Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal) were all related in one way or another and pretty much shaped the country in the 19 and 20 C. ;)

Beweller

I am stretching a bit, but my memory says that my father told me he had been employed as a boy helping at the ice harvest.

His job?  Carrying hot beer to the workers!
Beweller

Ironwood

We have the Avella Pa. Rural Heritage Museum here. It's west of Washington Pa. It's very nice and is near a REALLY neat town of West Middletown Pa. very historic stretch of houses and businesses. The REALLY cool thing is on the grounds the farmer found what is now known as the Meadowcroft Rock Shelter that changed the ENTIRE pardigm of man's early history. The rock shelter is now in the hands of Carnegie Mellon's Anthropology Dept. It is TRUELY unique find that rewrote the century old belief of the earliest "settlements" and movements of the earliest prehistory humans here in North AND South America. It is a national treasure.  From this find several others were found both in this country and in South America. It is hard to believe it HAPPENED RIGHT here!!!!. It is now a National Historic Landmark. IF you are ever near here go check out.  http://people.delphiforums.com/MCCONAUGHY/meadowcroft/meadow.htm

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Reid I think I've seen mention of it on NOVA. Quite interesting to say the least. It sure is hard for me to understand why some natives chose to stay in the frozen north and others had the sense to go southward. If I was a native and had free range way back when, I'd want to live someplace where it took little effort to stay warm, maybe even migrate with the seasons because I wouldn't want it too hot. ;)

Mooseherder

The Acadian Village in Van Buren just received a 200,000 thousand dollar grant to add to the existing structures there. I think they currently have about a dozen  buildings in the Village that were donated and moved to the Village. One of the first houses from the Acadian era derangement is there. It has a dirt floor. The animals used to be brought inside in winter. This location is only an hour and a half away from you SD. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!