iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Camera " canon S1 IS " with E18 on da LCD screen

Started by isawlogs, February 11, 2007, 08:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Camera will beep on startup .. then will have some internal noise , then willshow this E18 on the screen and orview finder .... 
I look up some on the net , apparently , conon aint doing much about it , it is aften that the canon cameras get this malfunction , I beleive that canon should recall these cameras and fix them , just like any other compagnie would or should .
  I have had many canon cameras , this if they dont do me right , could and more then likely be the last .
  I really like this camera , with its image stabilizer and 10 X zoom it takes great pictures , Has a nice feel to it , ( ya know that you are holdingsomething )
  But , I can learn to hold something else ....

Soo ....  anybody fix these things ...  I have sent them an email ....... 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

About the only advice I can give Marcel is to take the batteries out and put in fresh ones is it uses removable ones. If that fails I'll give you a tip that all electronic techs use but you must promise to never let this get out to the general public.....give it a good hard smack! ;D

scsmith42

Marcel, I used to have a Canon camera (T5000 if I recall) that did something similar when it was cold.

It worked ok when it was above 70 degrees or so, but the shutter wouldn't work properly below that.  I think that it was something to do with the lubricant that Canon used on the shutter hinges.

Canon replaced the shutter once under warranty, but within a few months it started doing the same thing.

Good luck.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Mooseherder

My canon pc1099 digital has a design flaw that has rendered it useless and will need to buy a new camera. The battery compartment latch and casing has cracked and duct tape won't fix. >:(

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 11, 2007, 10:32:56 AM
My canon pc1099 digital has a design flaw that has rendered it useless and will need to buy a new camera. The battery compartment latch and casing has cracked and duct tape won't fix. >:(
Try Hot-melt glue.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

wesdor

I have a Canon S2 IS but it has performed flawlessly for me.  HOWEVER, have an old HP 618 that quit working last fall.  In desperation I took the batteries out of it and let it sit on the shelf for a couple of weeks.  When I popped fresh batteries in, it started working again.

My thought is that taking the batteries out lets the camera rest itself.  That may be "voodoo" on my part, but it worked for me.

You might consider giving it a try.

Good luck

Bill

isawlogs -

I had an "s1 is" till my sister took it over so I've moved on to the "s2 is" ( which is even better ). When I had the s1 I seem to recall some kind of E something or other error - it may have been something to do with jamming the zoom lens by accident one day while shooting from a moving car. I think I cleared it ( or any other error ? ) by not only removing the regular batteries but also the date/time battery. I think I then put in all freshly recharged batteries and I believe it cleared the error when it had to do a "cold" boot ( I made sure the lens was not pressed against something while doing this - duh ) and I might have repeated it once or twice to get it right.

Good Luck . . .

isawlogs

Might have to send it to DanG  , it works well if I leave it on the heater . So maybe you are right about the lub  ;D

Where are the the batteries forthe time ...  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bill

isawlogs

I think there's a really little door ( may even be orange ? ? ?  ) in the same area as the regular batteries - about the size of those little watch or little hearing aid batteries . Might be you open the door for the batteries and there's another really little door for the date/time battery in there. ( I'm thinking besides storing the date/time that it may also hold ( save ) the error codes even after its working again - unstuck )

Good Luck  . . .

isawlogs

Smacking dont help , thanks Norm

I have new batteries on charge , I found the time battery , it is inside the regular battery compartment to the side , small slide you pull up . Will have the batteries out tonight and will try in the morning .
  Thanks Bill , sure made finding thay battery easy .
  If all else fails , might have ta git me a hotbox for the camera .  :D :D :D

Marcel

jpad_mi

The lens is jammed; it's a common problem with Canon digital cameras. More info at the following links:

Wikipedia E18 error

www.e18error.com

It may be safer to buy a new camera if you can't fix it yourself. Good luck!
Jeff P. in Michigan

KGNC

I had a Canon that my son dropped and was getting the same error. Something was hanging up the zoom lens.  I found a damage camera on ebay cheap that had some broken parts. I put the two together and got a working camera. It's a bit of a gamble but paid off this time.

Thank You Sponsors!