iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Couple of Woodshop Questions

Started by Norm, February 10, 2007, 12:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I would like to get some opinions of what to buy for my new shop. I want to have a air compressor and dust collecter for it. They will reside in a small room outside of the main shop area. I have the smaller portable compressors and would like to get one that's permanent and plumbed into the shop. Or maybe tell me which way you'd do it if given the chance.

The dust collecter will send the air outside to a bunker area, it's on my farm so I thought of just dumping into the bunker and cleaning out with my fel. I want it to be plenty big so that I can add a logosol or similar moulder to it in the future without having to upgrade the sizing.

scsmith42

Hey Norm - sounds like a cool project, and thanks for asking for our input (always love to spend someone else's $)!

Re compressor, I've found that storage is as much, if not more important than CFM.  My main shop has an 80 gallon tank, 27CFM 2 stage.  However, I do a lot of automotive and farm tractor repair, so high pressures and fast recovery are important to me.  The glass bead cabinet requires the highest CFM.

Another option for a compressor would be something smaller, but with added storage tanks.  Check to see what the max CFM is that you will be using, and then get something larger than that.  Day in and day out, northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company seems to have the best prices on compressors.  I'm partial to IR, but have had no complaints with my industrial CH.

The bad thing about the big compressors is that they take a major voltage surge when they start - hence a hit to your electric bill.  A smaller compressor that ran more frequently might actually be more cost effective.  For a typical home shop, I'd try to have at least 15 CFM and 24 is even better.  Again - storage is more important than CFM here.

If you're going to be  using a lot of air, consider some type of dryer after the compressor.  Putting all of this outside the main shop is a great idea.  Also, consider some type of either automatic water drain valve or plumbing a valve inside the shop so that you can quickly and easily drain the tank water daily. 

Re the dust collection, from what I've seen Oneida has the best reputation.  Their web site has a lot of good guidance on it re cfm and pressure, and line sizes.  The biggest pain in my system is in emptying the sacks.  When I'm planing rough sawn lumber they fill up about every 15 minutes (at least it seems like it), so your dumping into an outside pit is a great idea.  You might want to think about locating the pit far enough from the building so as to minimize any fire hazard.

If you have an old dump truck or trailer, rather than dumping into a pit you might want to consider dumping into the dump truck (or even a manure spreader)  Unless it has high sides you'll need some type of screen to contain the shavings).  The nice thing about the spreader is that it makes it easy to distribute the shavings out on your pastures, thus improving your topsoil and reducing your overall time to handle waste.

Good luck!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

For the shop air compressor I'm running a two stage IR with an 80 gallon tank.  Puts out way more air at 175 psi than I'll ever have a use for.  I had intensions of doing a little sandblasting when I first bought it.  That got old and hot real quick.  Lot easier to pay to have it done.  It is extremely loud...when I move it to Arkansas it's going in it's own little building.  If I had to replace it I would be more than happy with a single stage with about a 30 gallon tank...and most important...quiet.

For dust collection I have a big old blower off a piece of farm equipment.  It's belt driven by a 5 HP motor.  It's loud to...about the same decibel level as a B52 taking off.  I blow the dust outside into a trailer.  The fan is heavy gauge metal and can withstand direct impacts from knots and chunks of wood.  Timber King sells a blower...think Bibby has one maybe OWW does to?  The best that I have seen is couple of models Suffolk Machine makes...think they copied my design.  Run 6" duct work to your shaper, planer, and jointer.  I would call Logosol and ask for there recommendations for dust collection before I bought anything.

You could set it up with a blower just for the planer and moulder than use a conventional dust collector with a cyclone for everything else.  That would keep that expensive heat and AC where it belongs.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Burlkraft

If ya really want quiet and quick recovery and yer budget will allow maybe you should look at a screw compressor. I put one in at work and I realize I should have done it years ago.  ::) ::)  We have just about 1 1/2 miles of air piping between all the shops. Water was a problem also with our 2 lungers.....the screw compressor has an a/c unit that evaporates the water out of the compressed air before it charges it into the lines. Air wrenches last twice the time they did before. ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Thanks for all the tips guys. :)

Since this is going into a new building I thought I'd do a little pre planning. I learned a bunch on my last one I built and hope to incorporate those ideas and pick your guys brains for stuff I didn't put in that one. Burlcraft I like the ideas your using on your new addition, hopefully when you get further along I can talk you into showing me some pictures of how it turns out.

Justin L

I have a small portable compressor, and it won't start if it's too cold(40* or below) without tripping the overload. So keep it warm.  Be sure all lines slope back toward the compressor- I just removed & thawed one out yesterday that was full of ice. It is in my shop, and it still froze...yea, in my shop!   My main compressor is an 80gal IR with an old 100gal tank for extra capacity.

For the dust collector, a three HP blower with a 9" intake will fun a four head moulder as long as you don't have bags on it to slow it down. More is better, but it gets me by.

Plan on moving the tools down the road. Even if you don't plan too :)  I wish I would have ran larger conduit with junction boxes every ten feet so a new line could be ran easily. Or just don't buy anymore tools...:(

Heated floor.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

Dave Shepard

I like the idea of a bunker for the shavings, they are in big demand around here. Sell 'em by the truckload. I don't know how much air you need, but I would look for an older I-R T-30 type unit. I have come across a bunch lately that could be bought cheap, and they last a long time. If you are going to use a ton of air the screw types are very popular. Some that I have seen run all the time on a variable freq. drive and just spin up the rpms to match demand. This makes for a quiet and energy efficient unit. Also big bucks, from what I've heard. I can't say much about blowers, other than they are an obnoxious necessity. I know one guy who does a ton of planing and moulding work that has a 30 hp unit up in the rafters of rickety building and I swear the whole place leans over to one side when he starts it. :o

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_S.

FWIW, Code Enforcement/Fire Marshall wouldn't allow me to blow chips into a bunker or pile. He insisted I have a covered receiving area for the chips/dust. His concern was the chips getting damp and the possibility of spontaneous combustion. You may want to check the regulations in your area about this.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

thurlow

Don't want to hi-jack the thread, but I'd like to ax Larry a querstion about his blower.  What's it off of?  I've got an old 2-row picker (salvaged);  I've thought about taking the fan off of it and mounting a 3-5 horse motor and using it for a dust collector.  The cotton didn't go through the fan, but was propelled by something similar to a venturi effect. Is this something like what you've got?  I know you said the dust on yours went thru the fan...............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Larry

The only thing I know about the fan is that it's AC orange and came out of a farm equipment graveyard.  The fan is 5" X 16".  Played with the speed a little when I first built it and found I could move more than enough air at a fairly slow speed.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

JimBuis

I recommend a good hose reel or two for getting the air where you need it.  I personally don't like running pipe for a permanent air supply system.  I think the hose reels meet most needs and are more adaptable as your shop changes over time.

For the same reasons, I like to use electric cord reels and have them mounted over head.  My current shop was wired with outlets in the floor about 40 years ago.  They thought being in the floor would make their location more adaptable to shop needs.  However, they are never where I need them.  Besides, they are two prong, so much of what I have won't plug into them anyway.

You didn't really ask this, but I recommend having as much equipment on wheels as possible.  90% of my shop was setup permanent.  Now when I am needing to reconfigure the shop it is a royal pain.  It has taken me ten times as long to make changes as it should have.

Good luck.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

TexasTimbers

Norm I don't know anything about screw compressors but I wish I had so I could have considered it. Not that I regret my purchase I don't - I love my shop compressor. Not taking into account the screw compressor which I trust Burlkraft on, but the one Scott described is what I have too, the only thing I would add is to make sure you get a low RPM compressor 1725 RPM versus the 3250. They are gobs quieter and the motors last longer.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Norm

I want to thank you guys for all the good tips. I know nothing about compressors so will be doing some homework on your suggestions. I doubt I'll be doing any work that needs tons of air but one never knows and I'd rather go overkill than undersized. Thanks for the suggestions Jim, I had considered the in floor recepticles but wondered if it was a good idea or not.

Thurlow don't ever worry about hijacking any thread of mine. I always feel that I learn more from the side conversations than what the original question brings up. Besides I'm terrible about it, it got so bad years ago that Patty drew a circle in the corner just above head high and made me hold my nose there until I learned my lesson. ;D

scsmith42

Norm, what do you plan to use your shop for?  Woodworking?  automotive?  Welding?  Machine Work?  ????

Also, do you have any rough dimensions yet that you can share?

Scott

scgargoyle

Here in FL, humidity is always a factor in compressor set-up. I had mine outside the shop for noise control, but I piped the air intake inside the shop for drier air. I ran iron pipe throughout the shop, and had drains all over the place. I also use a moisture trap that holds a filter like a roll of toilet paper- in fact, you can use a roll of toilet paper to save money. I like the big, slow turning compressors that no one seems to make anymore. I had one years ago that turned @ 500 RPM- much quieter and less annoying. There are lots of opinions on rigid piping for air, but iron pipe is the only legal material in some areas. I've used copper and PVC without problems, but they aren't code in some areas. Iron pipe also works well to condense moisture out of the air. As for the dust collector- the bigger the duct work, the better. You want to start out big near the vacuum source, then step down the size as you work your way out. The shop I work in now has 4" for the whole system, and it's lame. In my shop, I started w/ 8", and stepped down to 4" further out. It's similar to HVAC ducting.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

sawguy21

Planning a new shop is always fun.  8)
We installed a larger piston compressor in a second floor storage area, only place we had room for it, but that created problems. The room got very hot during the summer and the machine was constantly cycling with a lot of water in the lines, even with the auto drain. We finally mounted a Donaldson air filter on the outside of the building and ducted the air to the pump. It made a huge difference with less water, shorter cycling and a cooler pump. I could actually touch it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don_Papenburg

I have a 15hp T30 in the basement of my shop with a 3" pvc running to the attic but interupted with a air cleaner on the shop ceiling so I can service it without climbing into the attic.  I also have a 3"pvc pipeing air down to the compressor fan  for cooling air .   then I ran a 1" copper line up and around the shop, returning to the supply pipe , with outlets every 10foot.  the outlets are taken off the top of the pipe and are 3/4" pipe drops. each has a shut off ball valve and a drain valve with both sizes of outlets that I use.           Definatly look into the screw type compressor .  My 185 cfm IR compressor pump is smaller than the 15hp motor on my T30  . actualy about the size of a gallon and a half jug.They are very efficiant at producing air .  Other than a screw I would look into a two stage compressor.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

RichlandSawyer

Hey Norm,

This is a picture of the cyclone i built for my shop. The dust swirls around and drops into the garbage can on the bottom. The lid of the can has a gasket to create an air lock but if you replace the can with a rotary valve aka. star valve you could drop the dust into a covered trailer keeping it dry and and not end up with half the farm covered with dust on a windy day.

Dee says hi and tell Patty we both said hey!!!

P.S. check out that green grass almost forgot what it looked like.

Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

TexasTimbers

that's the exact model DC I have. Looks like the same company. An import co. called SECO out of Los Angeles I bet. 2HP 230V model ???

I was happy with mine for years but have dramatically outgrown it. Gonna dedicate it to the router only this spring when I install the 20HP monster I have sitting in the corner, for the rest of shop.

That little thing served me well though and never missed a beat.

OneWithWood

Norm, are you starting a shop war?  Our existing shops seem pretty similar.  If you build a bigger, better, fancier one I might feel compelled to keep up  :D

Here is a link to check out for dust collection.  I found it very usefull when I planned and installed my system.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

Larry is correct.  I used a 5hp blower that I got from Timberking.  The Suffolk units are really great but pricey.

For a compressor I picked up a Sanborn, single stage, oil lubed, 80 gallon unit that was on sale at the local Menard's.  It is much quieter than the oiless unti I have in the other workshop.  If you are going to use various air tools at various stations it makes a lot of sense to run lines to each station.  I used high pressure pvc, but many warn against this.  Black iron is definately safer.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TexasTimbers

Yep the pentz system is impressive. And if you want any of the info or products you better not tarry. He has been known to get frustrated and yank the whole darned site for months at a time.

dewwood

Norm,

A lot of good info here.  I would also suggest the iron pipe for running your air supply with quick connects spaced conveniently.  You might try ebay for ideas on compressors they have a lot and it gives you some idea of what is aviailable and pricing, you don't have to buy there but it has lots of makes usually.  On your dust collector try contacting a heating supply house, I got all of my piping from a heating wholesaler from 4" to 12" with blast gates elbows etc and they had it all in stock.  The same piping from a company that sends me a catalog was about four times as much money.  The cyclones are nice but if you are blowing it directly outside a blower will do the job.

One thing you may already have but if not you may want to consider 3 phase electric.  I run a 30hp converter and can run several 10 & 15 horsepower motors at the same time.  With your future plans it might be easier to install it now and be ready for any future needs without having to rewire everything.

Good luck and we want some pictures as the project progresses.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Larry

I have learned from making mistakes so I'll pass the information along in hopes somebody can benefit.  When I bought my compressor I decided to plumb it with schedule 40 PVC...my compressor puts out 175 psi or maybe a little more and the schedule 40 was rated to withstand a lot more pressure than that.  So...I plumb in a simple system...right proud of my work.  Within a week, a fitting had cracked from the pressure.  Over a years time another several fittings cracked and I junked the whole system.  A plumber told me the fittings are usually rated a lot lower that the pipe.  He said I might have been all right if I had used schedule 80.  About the same time, I was told PVC is dangerous...and this is the reasoning, which I believe has some merit.  If there is a fire, the PVC can melt and become a blowtorch.  In addition, PVC can shatter from an impact and act just like shrapnel.

I'm good at sweating copper so that is what I use now...no idea if it is better than iron pipe.  Somebody else will have to educate us on that.

Norm

I have been just a little bummed out about having to move my shop again but knew it was just a matter of time. Getting a new one is nice but to tell the truth I hope this is the last time I have to move it. My plan is to have morton buildings or cleary slap up the shell and then do the inside finish work myself. Since Robert's pretty much done with his I expect he'll want to come out and get some ideas for the new one he's going to have to build to keep up with the Folkerts'. :D I'm thinking of it being 48X72 with some being storage and some being shop. Here's a link to the look I'm thinking of. Shop Building

Dewey luckily for me I had 3 phase installed when we bought our farm. It was expensive at the time but I'm sure glad I did. My mill is 3 phase and nothing like flipping a switch to start running. I've always run my own gas pipe and can sweat copper as well but am not sure which will be better. I would have thought copper to be cheaper to run but not sure now with metal prices being so high.

I have the same blower as bibby but have never installed it. Since I'm just blowing into a bunker do you guys think that will be strong enough? The reasoning for the bunker is that I can cover the sawdust with a layer of manure to make it compost. I have no shortage of it and the gardens would sure benefit from the additional fiber.

ksu_chainsaw

As for a compressor, go with either an older slow speed 2-stage pump, or a screw type compressor- they will outlast an oilless pump and be a lot quieter.  An automatic drain and an air dryer will make everything last longer.  I ran copper in my garage, and have worked with both pvc and black iron pipe- any of them work the same in my book- just make sure you put lots of drops in- every 10' works good, as most places sell only 10' pieces now- instead of a coupler-put in a T fitting.
As for electrical work, put all your wiring into 1"+ conduit- NO ROMEX!- and put in a 4way box every 5-10 ft.  This will let you reduce the amount of extension cords that you need, and allow you to change your wiring in the future when you upgrade tools- its easier to pull an additional 10ga through conduit that is already there, instead of having to drill through the wall.  It also gives you an additional safety factor, as if you attach something to the wall, you know where the wiring is, since the conduit is on the outside of the wall.
Dust collection- try to find a system that has a cyclone and a filter bag, and will circulate the air back into the shop- especially nice in the winter.  If you have too much air going out of the shop, it will hold your doors shut and might even crack a window or two.  ;D- know that from experience.
If i can get out of this snowbank and get to work tomorrow, I will try to get some pictures of my shops dust collector for some ideas.

Charles

scsmith42

Norm, my brother recently built a shop out in Phoenix which I consider one of the best all-around home workshop layouts.  It is a similar footprint to yours (I recall 40 x 78), but the interior layout is very, very practical.  If you want, I can make up a sketch of the floor plan and send it to you.

His shop has four different rooms inside it, with about 60% of the total floor space being devoted to workshop, and 40% to his office, a lawn and garden storage room, his wife's storage room, and a complete bathroom.  Each one of these rooms is completely drywalled, with insulation and a ceiling and doors in-between them.  This keeps the lawn and garden smells (and compressor noise) out of the main shop, and it also keeps his wife's storage room nice and clean.

The main shop has three different entry doors - one is 20' wide, one is 16' wide, and one is 14' wide.  There is a walk door into his office, and the lawn/garden room has a 10' door as well. 

The location of all of the doors creates several different work stations, which allows him to have multiple projects underway at any given time yet still have space to work on something different.

One thing that we did inside was to locate the load center on one wall, and then a sub panel in the middle.  This cut down on the number of home runs and reduced his overall electrical cost.

The compressor is located in the lawn and garden room, so he can't hear it in the main shop, but it is installed inside in a clean environment.  He opted for copper lines for air, but as others mentioned black pipe should work just as well.  In addition to bringing your "drops" off of the top side of pipe, it's also a good idea to try to install your main air trunk line so that it has a continuous slope with a water trap at one end.

One other shop that I've seen is what I call a "reverse Morton Building".  A complete Morton Building kit was used, but the exterior panels were installed on the interior (fireproof, clean, and removable if wiring, etc mods need to be made), insulation put into the walls and a board and batten exterior utilized.  This gave the owner the durability of a metal building, a neat and clean working environment, but from the outside it didn't look like a metal building. In my mind, the only drawback to a metal building is that they look like a metal building from the exterior.  This resolved that issue.

Charles provides some good advice re the conduit versus romex.

Re the dust collection, the one thing that Logosol really emphasized when I bought a PH260 was that the extraction system made a tremendous difference in the performance of the machine.  You are doing the right thing by getting this aspect spot-on.

Regards,

Scott

TexasTimbers

Quote from: scsmith42 on February 13, 2007, 11:18:27 AM
If you want, I can make up a sketch of the floor plan and send it to you.

I know the offer wasn't to me but I'm interested if you don't mind. I have my shop laid out roughly like I have for nearly 20 years off and on, but I've never sat down and said "It couldn't get any better" so I'm always open to suggestions ???

scsmith42

I'll see what I can pull together and post it to this string.

My brother has built several shops during his lifetime - this one is the culmination of what he learned with the previous ones.

Again, it's a "home" shop, so it may not necessarily be a good model to follow for a business ship, but it is a very practical design for those of us that have a lot of different interests, and work out of the house.

Scott

Norm

Thanks for the offer Scott, I'd love to see how he's done the layouts.  :)

That's something that I'm stuck on if anyone else has a layout that they really like. My shops tend to have everything stuck near the wall because of wiring and dust collection. Not a good layout at all so any help there would sure be appreciated.

TexasTimbers

Norm, we're supposed to run everything overhead. electrical. dust. but i haven't gotten around to it either. when you do you open up the entire shop. personally, if i wasn't stumbling over my dust ducting i would not know how to function. :)

Patty

Our new shop will be built over at the house. Our business is growing into the shop we put up over there, and that is why we have to put up a new one. It will be used mainly for woodworking projects and wood storage.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Burlkraft

Is there gonna be a heated room fer yer new Lathe... ???   ???   ???

Patty

Gosh I sure hope so!   I guess we have to spring for a furnace & ac over at the old shop, since it'll be part of the office now.  ::)    It is hard to type when your fingers are frozen to the keyboard! Norm keeps saying he can't spoil the "help"....first a bathroom and now heat! Next thing you know I'll insist on a vacation! :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Kevin

What did Norm give you for a bathroom, I'm betting it's a pail.  ;D

Dana

I only scanned the post from KSU_chainsaw so I may have misunderstood. However, I would never use PVC or any other type plastic for air line. It's not recommended and if it blows, there could be a lot of razor sharp pieces.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Norm

Kevin that reminded me of my late fishing buddy from Warsaw, Mo. He told about taking his wife fishing with him and how she'd complain about going to shore to find a tree to hide behind. His remedy was to start her out with a five gallon bucket on the boat. He said he just kept making the bucket smaller until eventually she could hit a coke bottle at three foot.  :D

Don P

I'll add to the no pcv lobby, we had a length blow in a twin stage shop and embed a 7' javelin in the roof one cold day, needless to say we were plumbing in iron the next day. If you put in heat you might consider shop rental to members in winter  ;D

ksu_chainsaw

I have used pvc in the past, but I prefer copper since its the easiest to bend around other stuff on the walls, and corrosion is less than in a steel pipe.

I finally remembered to take the camera to work, so here are some pics of my dust collector.

this is a pic of the cyclone that dumps into a 55 gal metal barrel- since i dont do a lot of planing, it only needs dumped about once a week.

the big square box is the fine filter element- and it is a pain to clean out- it wont shake out with the handle on the side, and i havent had the time to remove the 50 or so bolts holding on the front cover.  the high humidity and it being located outside dont help any either.

this shows the fire safety mechainism and the return air duct

this is the control panel for the dust collector- the large box is for the fire safety mechanism and also controls several other spark sensors.

Kevin

Don_Papenburg

Norm ,  Just bein nosey , what did you do in the corp. world? and what are you into that you have to build a new shop everytime the old one gets dirty?

Norm

Kevin.... :D

Don I was a field service engineer for a division of Phillips Medical that makes diagnostic ultrasound systems. In 93 I decided to start my own company selling and repairing their equipment. We used to lease our office space but got tired of having landlords. I remodeled a section of my morton building for office space that was my shop and eventually turned another section of it into shop for us. My son came aboard with us over a year ago and has really grown grown our business. Last spring we became the midwest distributor for Sony Medical. We have to stock so much more equipment and are in the process of hiring new help so the shop is being turned into additional office space.

It went from this.

To this.

Never in my wildest imagination did I ever think we'd fill this building up. It's 42X132.

Burlkraft

Wow Norm,

That's a LOT of nice shiny drywall..... ;D ;D ;D

TexasTimbers

Steve, thou shalt not covet another mans' drywall, you know that. :D

Don_Papenburg

Norm that is a nice building.  Shame that your hobby has to get moved out of the way for work.  If you haven't inked the deal for the new shop , go wider it seems to make the same sq.fts. larger.

I was going to ask if you ever ran across Doc Leo Millimen around Ames?  He is a cousin on my moms side of the family.

Norm

Don I wondered that too and am thinking about going a little wider. The site will limit going much wider so I'll probably go 48'.

Most of the docs we work with are ob/gyn so have probably met him if so. At my age anything before breadfast is a blurr. :D

Don_Papenburg

;D ;D

I think he is in uraligy , He collects old JD tractors .

Max sawdust

Quote from: Norm on February 17, 2007, 08:55:49 AM
Don I was a field service engineer for a division of Phillips Medical that makes diagnostic ultrasound systems. In 93 I decided to start my own company selling and repairing their equipment. Last spring we became the midwest distributor for Sony Medical. We have to stock so much more equipment and are in the process of hiring new help so the shop is being turned into additional office space.

Never knew ;D
Must be some kind of connection between making sawdust and selling/repairing medical equipment :o :D
We will have to chat some day.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Norm

I missed your comment Max, sorry, who did you work for? :)

There's a picture of DonP on the timberframing board levering a bent in with some beautiful scenery in the background. I thought to myself boy what I'd give to be in his shoes. Of course I quickly remembered my framing days and knew the days of fair weather and light breezes are few and far between but still....

Norm

Well here it is almost 2 years after I started this thread and I'm still not done with the shop over at the farm. We got some days off over the Christmas holiday and I've been slowly working on it. I'm at the point now where I'm buying a good dust collector for it and have been over at the oneida site drooling over there systems. If we are slow at work on Friday I'm going to call and see about getting it on order. If any of you folks have bought from them what was your experience?

scsmith42

Norm, I bought an Oneida to replace the Grizzly that got BBQ'd last summer.  They were really great to work with, and their products have an outstanding reputation.

Scott

Ironwood

I cannot say enough good stuff about Oneida Air. My Mother-in-laws place is not far from there and I have dropped in several times. They ALWAYs are willing to work w/ resourceful people who want to "cobble" their own system together. They are amazing in this modern day most larger co's would just blow you off. You can go in and say " I have a XX co. blower/ cyclone and need your filtration system" they will NOT hesitate to help you through, and their systems ARE far superior in terms of micron filtration. They will even help you calculate volume if you do know you blowers. You can buy individual impellers to upgrade old steel ones (increasing effiency), pipe, fittings, the list goes on and on. They are amazing.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

dolittle

I bought the 2hp Dust Gorilla.  Great people to deal with.  I received a damaged part in shipping and they shipped another immediately and told me no need to return the damaged part.  It's mounted on the wall but has never been wired or duct work connected as I got side tracked with an illness.  Someday the shop will run again.

srt

Norm, 

This is a great idea you've come upon.  We all get to add our 2 cents worth to help you build a shop, without having to spend a dime out of our own pockets!  For those of us who have "PBS" (Perpetual builder syndrom), it's way entertaining, and cheap too!

I concur with the folks who are recommending the IR T-30 type compresors.  Love mine, and it's quieter than my table saw.  With two stages, it packs a good bit of air with only a five Hp motor, but as has been mentioned before, you can get them much bigger.  The good part is that parts are available, and rebuilding them is pretty easy.

Sounds like you're going to get some professional help with your dust collection system.  If you decide to go it alone, one caution that hasn't been mentioned yet is making sure there is enough back pressure on the system to prevent your motor from being in "runout".  Although we try to minimize the amount of restrictions in dust collection systems, even that cause can go too far, allowing the electric motor to run at full load for an extended period of time.  An electric motor pulls the most current when it's allowed to pump free flow with no restrictions.   I know this makes little sense, but believe me, it's true, as I was educated on it, even had to calculate and prove it, and watched it in practice for years when I used to operate pumps with ammeters installed.  At this point, I can't begin to tell you where that line is drawn, but just wanted to let you know that it is a possibility.  Any of the reputable DC companies could let you know if you're getting in the danger zone.  Quite possibly, all of the inlet piping would put enough restriction to prevent it, but I just don't know.  I've heard some Amish woodworkers being concerned with this situation when blowing into trailers without any filters.

Norm

Thanks folks for the help again. Srt in all seriousness I really appreciate you seasoned woodworkers helping out a novice like me. I can't imagine how many mistakes I'd make without the advice and pictures of your shops.

Thank You Sponsors!