iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sh...ugar

Started by dancan, February 09, 2007, 07:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancan

i pulled a bonehead maneuver while changing a drive sprocket   :o
does anybody know if a little crankshaft runout (ever so slight but i know it's there ) is going to be an issue .(yes i'm still kicking myself in the bu.....)

Kevin

You may find the chain getting tight in one spot then become loose as the shaft turns.
Is it bent?

dancan

if you hold a straight edge at the end of the shaft and rotate the flywheel
you will see that it is out buy a hair (it was worse  ...kick...kick..)

Kevin

Put the bar and chain on it and give it a spin by hand.
If it gets really tight and difficult to turn then the chain drops off the bottom of the bar with continued rotation you have a problem.
If it's not too noticable then it should be ok.

scottr

Quote from: Kevin on February 09, 2007, 08:46:34 PM
Put the bar and chain on it and give it a spin by hand.
If it gets really tight and difficult to turn then the chain drops off the bottom of the bar with continued rotation you have a problem.
If it's not too noticable then it should be ok.
Kevin , without the crankshaft turning there wont be much change .

Kevin

If the crankshaft isn't true the sprocket shouldn't run concentric.

scottr

Quote from: Kevin on February 09, 2007, 11:31:10 PM
Yes , that is true . If you were to put the bar and chain on the saw and spin the chain on the bar it would not show the wobble of a bent crankshaft . You would need to spin the crankshaft to reveal how the chain tension will change .

jokers

Quote from: scottr on February 09, 2007, 11:50:37 PM
Quote from: Kevin on February 09, 2007, 11:31:10 PM
                                                                                                                          Yes , that is true . If you were to put the bar and chain on the saw and spin the chain on the bar it would not show the wobble of a bent crankshaft . You would need to spin the crankshaft to reveal how the chain tension will change .
Kevin`s method is a good bench test, but it`s true that there could be a change in runout at operating speed.

Whack it back straight, worse things have been done!  ;D

Do tell us what you did to tweak it out of shape.

Kevin

It would need to be minimun run out within a few thousanths of an inch because the shaft is turning two legs of the chain which doubles the affect on the chain.

Cut4fun

Please tell us how you managed this. So others like me dont end up causing the same problem someday.

Al_Smith

Hmm,well sh----er ,things happen.Go ahead and fess up,maybe a simple fix is in order.I've bent things with a hammer then used the same hammer to unbend them,no big deal.

dancan

lefty loosie , righty tighty
i've done them before but i must have left my marbles at the door 'cause it doesn't apply all the time.
i swear i didn't hit it that hard but it was enough  :'(
i've tapped it pretty close but i'm going to get it as close as i can before i run it .

Thank You Sponsors!