iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northern Lights, or Area 51 in Indiana?

Started by Faron, February 08, 2007, 11:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

I witnessed an interesting series of lights in the sky this evening.  About 7:15 I was adjusting the flasher on my tractor when I noticed two unusual lights west of me, 25 to 30 degrees above the horizon, and just south of a large power plant.  Two pink lights appeared, then converged, then parted again, and then winked out.  Seconds later they appeared again in a different area for two or three seconds, then disappeared again.  They repeated this another time or two, then stopped.  The first time I thought maybe I had caught the end of a metorite.  When they appeared again, I realized that was not the case.  I called my wife, and asked her to look for them from home, about a mile west of my location.  As I drove home, the lights appeared again several times , usually two at a time, appearing at the same time, and disappearing at the same instant.  They appeared at different areas of the western sky, and not oriented the same way every time, sometimes side by side, and sometimes one above the other.  As I parked my tractor, they appeared again.  The last time I saw them, two appeared for about three seconds, and just as they winked out another appeared just above the horizon for about 2 seconds. 
The lights were about 3 or 4 times as large and bright as the brightest star in the sky.  The sky was clear, and of course moonless.  Temp was about 14 degrees.   I have on a few occasions seen northern lights here.  The color was similar to what I have seen before, but all I have ever seen was a kind of pink rolling glow, and always in the north, never in the west.  How about it, you northern guys, do the northern lights sometimes act that way?

This is a picture my wife took.   :)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Jeff

THE PRIME DIRECTIVE DICTATES THAT WE DO NOT ANSWER SUCH QUESTIONS WITH HONESTY.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sprucegum

No 

And that's all I have to say about that

Mooseherder

PawNature

GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Faron

Well, we got through the night without being abducted-we think. smiley_whacko
Just to clarify a little bit, I'm not a UFO buff or believer.  While there may be life out there somewhere, I think the time and distance involved rule out much chance of contact.  And I think God planned it that way.  But I haven't figured out just what it was we were seeing last night.  My brother's wife saw similiar lights about an hour later in the same area of the sky.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Jeff

I've seen some weird things in the sky. One in particular when I was in my teens.  We lived on the edge of a wide river valley where you couls see along ways to the horizon to the North and on to the east. Close to a mile to the other side of the valley, on the other rim ran the C&O railroad tracks where we could see the full length of a train in the distance running along that edge.  My bedroom window faced that view.   I don't remember why I was up late that night and why I looked out the window, but I still remember what looked like a fireball racing along and above that horizon that seemed to be the size of a small sun. It dint light up the sky, but it seemed to be "flaming"  I knew it wasn't anything to do with a train because it was traveling many many times the speed of a train. It traveled perfectly horizontal until I lost view to the south.  It was startling enough I went an woke my dad up to tell him about it. He told me to go back to bed. :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

farmerdoug

Faron,  Not sure what you saw but it does not look like northern lights to me.

Jeff,  You probably saw a low flying military jet that night.  Without the afterburners on the single engine looks like a slightly flaming orange sun at night.  They use to do low flybys here when I was a kid until they stopped it in this area from the complaints.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Ed_K

Ed K

treebucker

Several of us were outside my brother's shop at twilight a couple years back. We heard a low/slow-flying jet. It came directly overhead. It was about 100' above the trees and it sounded as though the engines were barley working. They were almost whispering. We almost soiled ourselves. Quick prayers. It was a military-converted (737?) civilian passenger airliner. It kept getting lower as it turned up the valley. We thought it was going to crash into the head of the valley but it somehow made it over the low rise and disappeared beyond. Last we saw it it looked even closer to the ground. We kept waiting for the fireball and the report but it never came. Someone called the local airfield at Fort Knox to find out what was going on. They were told that Fort Knox was getting many calls about that plane clipping trees as it went overhead. But there was never any report of it in the media and no reports of a downed plane the next day.

A few months later I was at home when I saw a bright light seeming to hover for about five minutes. It took a while for me to determing that it was actually moving straight at me. When it started over the nearest rise it was only about 300' above the ground. I thought "Here we go again!" It had more colors of lights on the bottom of it than I had ever seen on an aircraft before. It was some kind of converted civilian passenger or cargo aircraft. (I'm familiar with the military's cargo aircraft.) It made for a strange looking bird. It was no more than 250' above me when it went over. This one was also running in some kind of whisper mode. I saw it turn for a final approach into Fort Knox.

The Fort Knox lights have fooled me before. I'm used to the flares lightiing up the countryside but I started seeing flares gone awry (15 miles off course). They seemed to hover where no flares should be. And they moved around in a way that defied how flares normally behave. I decided one night to watch them for a while. After 15 minutes of watching I saw they were helicopters on approach before they made their final turn to line up with the runway. They had been heading straight for me everytime. I just never stuck around long enough before to see them make that turn so I could ID them. Low/slow-flying helicopters on night training. They had changed their approach pattern and started using a longer/straighter approach. They're alot quieter than they used to be. :D

There have been lots of spook operations around here. I'm used to them. But I was puzzled by these doings.
smiley_nananana
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

limbrat

When i was in my late teens one of my favorite places to go for late nite swims was over by Camp Clayborn where the A 10 (Warthogs) had there firing range. They didnt do much at nite but this time several planes made runs and put on quite a show. When they fire burst from ther main gun it sounds like someone pulling on the gates of hell and the plane looks like it almost stops in the air. But anyhow after they were through my friend pointed out some faint lites flashing on and off in the direction of Alex. It was time to go and we were going in that direction so we watched them through the wind shield, they stopped not long after we got on the road. The next night i got a clear veiw of them from much closer, It was the first time i had ever seen one of them big rotating arrays of spot lites that flash on and off and change colors. The first night there must have been just enough little clouds hanging around to make it look errie.
ben

jon12345

When I was 8 or 9 I always watched the Unsolved Mysteries and shows about UFOs, they fascinated me, and at the same time scared the crap out of me.  One night riding home with my father and his friend we saw a helicopter or airplane and for some reason I thought it was  UFO and refused to look out the window  :D :D

A few years ago I heard about a Fox station in Albany (NY) showing a video of an 'unidentified object' in the background of a video the news was shooting about the airport there, then rumors of the video being confiscated after being shown on the noon news.   

I'm convinced though if there is someone else out there and they made it all the way to Earth, if they wanted to destroy us they would have done it already  :D
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

thecfarm

At my last job we stopped at a pinic area for lunch.While we was sitting there a military jet flew over us pretty low.Went right over us nice and quiet and fast.We all looked at each other and thought that was odd.While a couple seconds later BOOM,we all jumped and realized he was going faster than the speed of sound.They were allowed to do this in that area.Only seen lights once.Must of been a helicopter with a bright flood light lighting up the middle of a corn field.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

farmerdoug

When I was a kid I was cultivating the corn with the JD MT.  When all of a sudden the tractor was making the DanGest noise.  Just as I shut it down so it would not blow up a low flying jet went over the woods and field.  It was not supersonic but it bent the corn down as the wake passed.  I am glad they do not fly that low here anymore.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Gary_C

You were seeing the sun reflecting off of two communication satellites that are 61 miles up that were passing over your area at that time. The same two satellites were seen in the Twin Cities also, just not at that same time. A local TV weatherman saw them and had video. They checked somewhere and confirmed which two satellites.   8)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Faron

Gary C,   8) 8) 8)  I bet that is the answer.  I wonder, though , if we were seeing more than two, as they appeared to change positions in the sky. Did the videos look something like our picture?

The Indiana National Guard's training route goes over here and our farm 5 miles south.  They fly subsonic, but make a heck of a noise after they have passed.  Many times I have grabbed the throttle on a combine or tractor thinking something was coming apart. :D :D  Some days they seem to be dogfighting, and they really scream when they make tight turns.

thecfarm

When we was having the house built the guys that did the foundation came up with a couple friends on thier Haleys.Four Haleys coming up the hill and I was on my 40 hp tractor and I shut it off wondering what all the noise was.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treebucker

Hoeing tobacco as a kid.  Sun shining, light breeze, birds chirping, sound of the creek babbling in the distance... when out of nowhere BABOOOOOOOOOOOM, followed by the roar of a military jet. It'd almost knock you on the ground. I hated that.  They kept this up long after it was supposedly made illegal. I suppose it was either a right-of-passage or a prank the pilot was pulling.

Milking cows. Sound of the vaccume pump and the air control valve chunk-chunking when suddenly the barn starts to rumble. It's hard to isolate the direction it's coming from. The cows circle the pen in fright. Their eyes wide, heads and ears lifted high. You hope you don't get trampled. Some bolt from the barn meaning you have to round them up again. Then you make out what it is...military helicopters flying 50' above the barn. We were at least 10 miles from the the Fort Knox boundry but they seemed to like using our barn as a navigation point. There was a time when I have counted up to 75 helicoptors in a flock. Many makes and models...some with vehicles and/or artillery slung under them. This used to be a fairly common site around here. Once saw one at about 1000' auto-gyro down into the field. He hit hard. I ran to see if he was alright. I opened the door and asked if he was ok. He said he would answer me as soon as he swallowed his spincter (not his exact term) and that he was suddenly an inch shorter. A few minutes later several more landed. They checked out the helicopter and found it in working order. They concluded (speculated) it was vapor lock. To my disbelief, that same pilot flew it back to base. You couldn't have payed me enough...
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Part_Timer

satellites........... Yep that is excatly what they want you to think.;)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Dana

It used to be weather balloons, now its satellites. ::)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!