iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A visit with Ernie_Edwards and Darla the Blacksmith (photo intensive thread!!)

Started by Jeff, February 08, 2007, 12:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Remember at Christmas Time when Amberwood and Sue came to visit us? We had some other forumfolks join us that day as well, including friends Ernie and Darla from up north of us. Many of you know that Darla is an accomplished and talented blacksmith. I consider her a true artisan that works in Iron. While they were here that day, Darla noticed a large old antique balance toy we have here that we call our "sawing man".  A couple days after returning home, Ernie sent me a note asking if I could take a photo or two to send him so Darla could try to make one. Well I did, and she did. Ernie sent me the photos of Darla's creation along with an invitation to come up and visit so Darla and I could do one together as a project for a Forestry Forum auction.  Tammy and I have been trying to get up to Copemish for a couple years now, ever since we met Ernie and Darla at an old Engine show here in Harrison.

You might remember me posting a thread on the wanted board for a chunk of figured wood. Well, that was for this project. It was to be the "wood" that the sawing man stands upon and "saws". Pasbuild came through and sent us a mother load of (pre-finished even) chunks to choose from. What a guy eh? ;D

So, once I got the wood from Bob, we made plans to go up and spend the day with Darla and Ernie.  What a great time we had!  Darla and Ernie live way back off the road in a
beautimus log home in one of the most beautimus areas of lower Michigan. I think they have found a chunk of Heaven on Earth. We started off the day with a great breakfast of Ernie's homemade biscuits and gravy with a side of eggs. Oh My! they were awesome.  Here is a photo of Darla in her Kitchen. Notice the trivet of iron in the foreground. one of the many many awesome creations to be found in their home. Sitting there at the bar is a treat just to look around and see some of the things Darla has created. Even every handle and knob on the kitchen cabinets is a different and unique creation. 

We took just a few photos of some of the things that Darla and Ernie have created for thier home. This was one of those times where we wish we would have taken more photos then we did, because we were to busy visiting!

I'll post a few of those photos, then I'll post a whole bunch of photos that I took after we went out to the Blacksmith shop to create the "sawing man"   I do want to say up front now about something. We (used very loosely) (99.9% DARLA) :D were creating the sawing man for a Forestry Forum auction. HOWEVER, after going through the process and spending such a great day with Darla and Ernie This is what we (Including Darla's permission) decided to do.  Our antique sawing man is really cool, however its just a thing we have. Its one of our favorite things, but again, its just a thing.  The sawing man that was created that day means a lot to Tammy and I. It symbolizes a special day spent with friends. It is much more then just a thing.   But in turn, this makes the original sawing man more then a thing as well. It now has its own unique story of how it's mere existence created a very memorable and enjoyable day with friends.  We have decided to have a Forestry Forum auction using the original antique sawing man, and keeping in its place the one that Darla created and that I painted and that Pasbuild shaped and finished the wood for.  I hope that when we auction the original sawing man, it creates some real enjoyment for its new owners as it created for us.  :)

Now for a couple pictures of Darla's creations, and in another post the creation of the "sawing man." :)

This is a pin used to hold open the cellar (basement) doors.

A stringer of fish created from "Hoof Rasps" I think they are called.

some forged iron flowers that Darla says are rejects. Pretty beautiful for rejects if you ask me!

I'll take some undeserved credit for the inspiration for this! :D  Much better them mine. after a different visit to our home Darla went home and she and ernie created this awesome lighting.  Here is a link to the one we made that inspired the Edwards' lighting. Jeff's Light

And one more, this is a set of candle holders and a very unique box. The box was created by folding one piece of iron and shrink fitting the bottom into it. Its heavy and wonderful

Now its time to be off to the Darla's Blacksmith Shop!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I wanted to add a link to this thread as well in case some of you had not seen it. Its the old Auction thread where Darla made a suncatcher with the forum logo for a previous auction.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=17081.0

Jeff

I missed one!

These are great. Notice how tha handle has been pounded out and brought back, wrapped around, and formed into a leaf. Beautimus!

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Quartlow

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Ernie_Edwards

It was certainly a great day. Had a memorable visit with Tammy & Jeff, all because of "Sawing Man". When Darla first saw it she knew she had to try to make one for our home. It was a fun project and we are happy to see the little guy just sawin' away. Can't seem to go by him without starting him up. We're just like a couple of kids with a new toy.

Tammy & Jeff, you are welcome anytime. We are always happy to see you.

Of course the welcome extends to all in the FF family.

Jeff

Anyone that gets the chance should take Ernie up on it. You can always go to Buckley to the old engine show as well and see Darla working in the Blacksmith shop. She'll be to busy to visit there but Ernie'll be standin around ready to yap. ;)   

Actually I know they make a pretty good team. :)

I'll start posting the sawing man photos and even a video clip after while. In the mean time its almost time for the first episode of SURVIVOR! :D

Jeff

Here is a short video clip of the sawing "Men"  the one on the right is the one we made at Darla's, the one on the left is the one that we will put up for auction.  :)

I'll post some photos of the construction of the sawing man on my next post.

Sawing Man video clip Link

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Drawing the little fellow out.

Darla cutting him out with the plasma torch

A little pit sawyer comes into the world.  :)

Darla selecting materials to make the sawing platform stand.

Layout

Let the forging begin! Darla starts making the "feet" on the platform.

Doing the twist!  Darla puts some artistic curly-Qs in the stand.

Using the gas powered forge to heat the legs for bending. Darla also had a coal forge with a giant two way bellows that Ernie made thatI can show later.

Putting the bends to create a "pair" of legs.

A few of Darla's hammers.

More forging

Winking at the handsome camera man. Checking for straightness

Some minor adjustments

Some dude in a Forestry Forum coat drilling the mounting holes on the old lineshaft drill press.

The heat from the blacksmithing woke up some friends in the shop. I tried to get some video but these fellers were just to fast. They flew around for awhile and we enjoyed their company.

Turning the "foot" on the little pit sawyer

Ernie and Darla work together to rivet the counter weight on the little pit sawyer.

Can you tell what it is made from? :) After behing riveted on, Ernie and I fill it with lead (actually babbitt) for additional weight.

Ernie cutting a saw slot out of one of the boards that pasbuild supplied for our project.

Back at the Brokaws. Sawin man gets a make-up job.

Our finished little Pit Sawyer. Ready to saw for generations. 8)

This sure was fun. :)

Dana

Great photos and even greater artistry! Is that brass weight off the end of a horse harness?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Ernie_Edwards

Dana, you guessed it. It is a knob off a horse hames. Darla is always collecting odd stuff. The rose you saw was made from the lid of a 55 gal drum. Her uncles joke that when she comes on the farm you need to weigh her in and out cause she is apt to spy something that triggers an idea, so they can kiss it goodbye until they see it in its reincarnation.

A neat thing with Darla is that when a gift giving occassion happens she is always happy with tools. Lucky me!

Coon

Beautiful work there Darla, Ernie and Jeff.  Hope that little dude with the saw doesn't run out of wood anytime soon. 

Jeff don't forget to fill his pie once in a while also.  He may quit sawing for you if you do. :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

highpockets

This lady is a master.  What puzzles me is how Ernie caught her?

I wish I could get up there. I have wanted to do some blacksmithing for years.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paschale

Bravo!    8)

I'm the lucky guy who snagged the Forestry Forum suncatcher, a real beauty!   8)

I don't think I ever got a picture of that hanging in my house...I'll get on that this weekend! 
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

Ya might have to wait for some sun for that pic, but we'll be waiting for the pic. ;)

I'm not sure if I like the stringer of fish or the rose better, but I can say for a fact that Darla is good!

LedlieLogs

Man what a great gig you guys and gals have going on up there. Killer, killer work Darla. I can't wait for the auction, saving already for that day.
Just so happens I spent the last half of the day with a local blacksmith helping him with some door and window hardware he was making for a cabin being built close to here. Man, that is hard work and beats the krud out of ya. No wonder they call the local guy Crazy Dave. You have to really see things in a different way to be good at that trade. I just don't have the vision that Darla has. Thanks for the pics Jeff.
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Jeff

customsawyer

I don't think I would like to marry a lady that can swing a hammer that well. (Be very careful up there Ernie.) ;) :D
All jokes aside that is just great work from a master of there trade.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!