iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone heard anything about "Empress Splendor"?

Started by Dieselrider, February 08, 2007, 11:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselrider

I read a little about this in Farmshow magazine and on the empress splendor website. Of course, they are claiming such teriffic growth rates and all but, is there a market for the lumber once the trees are big enough to harvest? The web site is saying the wood is used in making trim and such as it is very straight grain and all. Is there a big market for trim?

The main question I have for the fine folks here is, has anyone heard of this speciec and what are your thoughts to it's potential? Would it be worth planting several just to see? Thanks for any help.
???  :) ???
Always try to be the best, but never think you are the best.

wesdor

There has been quite a bit of discussion on FF.  Do a search for Paulonia and you'll find more information.

Here is the first thread:  Paulonia  Discussion

OneWithWood

Dunno but we have a few volunteers that appeared in some of the wildlife clearings and the wife has a hundred or so growing in her greenhouse that she wants me to plant.  I will know in about six years if there is anything to the hype or if it is just the next invasive :o ::)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

Quote from: Jeff B on February 09, 2007, 12:16:05 AM
Its already considered invasive.

Would you expand on that?  Does it spread rapidly?  The Indiana DNR folks I have talked with would not say it was an invasive, just that they were not sure.  I certainly do not want to contribute to a problem by planting more of these trees if Pawlonia crowds out good hardwoods  :-\
One With Wood

Jeff

I'll give you a couple sources and a quote:

"The federal government and 13 states, including Pennsylvania and New Jersey, consider the Paulownia a nonnative, invasive tree. That means it's so aggressive, fast-growing and adaptable that, if left unchecked, it could crowd out or harm native species."

http://www.invasive.org/browse/subject.cfm?sub=2426

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pato1.htm

http://www.invasive.org/eastern/eppc/princess.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

Thanks for the links pardner. 

Maybe I will look into planting a grove of sassafrass instead, or maybe tulip poplar.
One With Wood

WDH

OneWithWood,

See Donna's post in the Tree and Plant ID Forum.  She is looking for some.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=22848.0
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

No chance to invade up here. The frost line will keep it back. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

From the topic title, I thought it may have been a new exotic dancer!  But I regress.  We have a few of the trees here in Texas, and it does not seem to do very well.  Either the heat or some unknown pathogen may keep it in check.   But, it is the latest of the "chinchilla" schemes.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

dsk

Here in northern Virginia, and in the mountains of WV, you'll see Royal Pawlonia growing wild. They're easy to spot because they flush with large purple flowers in early spring, before most trees have even come into leaf. So they really stand out against the stark woodland background.

The seeds of RP are very small and fly easily on the breeze. I read one anecdote that indicated the tree is pretty common in the south. And after Hurricane Camille blew through, seed from that area spread as far as Virginia and the tree became pretty common around here afterward.

If you're ever driving along any of the four lane highways in Virginia about the end of April, keep your eyes peeled. You'll see one every couple of miles.

DSK
DSK

Tom

While the hurricane dispersal story may have some truth, the fact is that the tree has been sold as an ornamental for years.  There is no telling just how it got loose, but there is a an effort in the Carolinas and South to experiment with it as a crop tree. 

Thank You Sponsors!