iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trash to power?

Started by Michigan Mike, February 07, 2007, 09:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Mike

Take  a look at this  http://news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2007a/070201LadischBio.html   It is a device that Purdue University has developed for military use to convert trash and food waste into usable power. The news release claims it is nearly ready to be put into production.

wesdor

I took a quick look at the link - thanks.

It looks to me like they are using something along the line of Thermal Depolymerization.  Do a google on that term and you will find even more information.

Carthage, MO has (had?) a plant that was working, but shut down a little over a year ago by the governor.  According to the web sites I have seen, the governor shut it down because the smell was bad (like burned chicken feathers).  Since they were converting turkey waste into oil, that doesn't come as much of a surprise to me.  I suspect that if I lived near the plant, I wouldn't be happy, but the thought of turning waste products into useable oil sounds rather impressive to me.

Fla._Deadheader

On the Carthage plant, I happen to know a little about it. There were days when the plant was not in operation, and the smell was bad. They were located right next to the Slaughter House-packing plant ???  ::) ::) ::)

It was a joint venture with Perdue or Tyson, or some other producer. Lots of things can be used to make bio-oil.

The reason it was shut down, the renderers that had the contract to collect processing scraps, started howling about less goods under their contract. Without a full flow of scraps, the plant could not function 24 hours a day  ::)

Technology was supposed to be good. They had a co-gen set-up, also.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

wesdor

Fla_Deadheader,

THANKS for what seems to be first hand information.  A couple of us have tried to figure out what has happend, but I haven't found anything available.

Can you comment on just how bad the smell was?  From what you say, the smell wasn't the real problem.  If the local renderers had that much muscle that would be a interesting problem.  If I read your comments correctly, this is a viable operation.  On the topic of smell, Clinton, Iowa has a large ADM plant and everyone for miles around knows it produces a terrible smell.  But the local people (at least many of them) just smile and say it is the smell of money.

In this situation not only were they making oil products, but were also taking care of the waste products from the slaughter plant.

If you can provide more info I'd appreicate it.

stonebroke

Most of the big packers own rendering companies. I would say some bean counter in corp. headquarters figered out that they would make more money rendering rather than converting it to energy. Generally in big packing plants the meat pays for the animal and the rendering is the profit.

Fla._Deadheader

I frequent a couple of Biodiesel Forums, and someone on one of them lives very close to the Carthage Plant. He told of the problems, and is a pretty competent source.

I'm thinking that "Retired" housing developments were doing all the complaining.

As per Stonebroke's post, yes, there was a contract dispute with the JOINT processor-Renderer business, also.

I will TRY to do a search, and find the info, and post a link here.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

My Computer skills are about as bad as my Espanol.  ::) ::)

I did a search, and came up empty. I DID make a post asking for help, though  ;D ;D ;D  Maybe some smart person will help out this old Dummy  ::) ::) ::) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Peakebrook

I recall reading an article last year or so about the Carthage plant and the Thermal Depolymerization process.  What was impressive was the ability of the process to break down complex plastics and toxins (PCBs) into biodiesel and inorganic components.
WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

beenthere

City of Madison had an energy complex years ago, and burned trash collected from the city to produce energy. Lots of tax dollars spent, and don't know the real reason it shut down. Had heard rumors that sorting through the trash to separate what could be burned, should not be burned, could not be burned, and on and on adinfinitum (not including finding someone to work on that sorting table who even cared about doing a good job) caused it to be shut down. The stories told about what was found on the sort table were interesting, putrid, and sometimes pretty gruesome. Now they truck it to a landfill, quickly cover it up and forget what is in there.

I'm sure that finding a way to sort through all trash would be a big HUGE step forward from where we are.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

We have a waste burning plant right downtown that is heating water and making electricity from trash.
Knowing this town, if there was a smell, the place wouldn't be there.

Fla._Deadheader

This outfit actually produces a usable fuel. Their problem is/was, they just can't stop processing one feed source and start on a totally different one ???  Seems that there is a very high temp involved. They convert blood, guts, animals, and anything along that line. Organic feedstock works in a different process. Plastics and even metals works in another process.

They are supposed to be building another plant in Colorado. ???

No response to my query on that Forum, yet ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Here's a Link. Might be more available if you search around on the site ???

Here
   First, it is ridiculed;

wesdor

Thanks for all the information.  I've been aware of this process for about 3 years and have only been aware of the Carthage plant which has been closed down.  You fellows have provided more information in one day than I've been able to find in 2 years.

I think we are going to have to find other forms of energy before we really start making progress in this world.  Perhaps this will be a good start.

farmerdoug

When I talked to Woodmizer about their sawdust burner I was told that the large unit will be able to burn most biomass.  This will include food scraps, paper, cardboard, etc that is processed into small chunks to feed the stove.  It will also be able to burn whole corn too.  They are working on phase three that will produce electricity from the burner too.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!