iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How about Russian Olive?

Started by WyMan, February 19, 2003, 11:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyMan

There is a post here regarding cottonwood.  I would like to see input regarding use of Russian Olive.  The imported "ornimental" brush has taken over the river bottom where I grew up as well as a lot of other places.  Any good uses of this wood?
Just a thought from a freed modern slave.

CHARLIE

I know it's dispised in South Dakota cause it has taken over a lot of prairie land and is difficult to get rid of it.

Russian Olive has beautiful grain and when turned on a woodlathe can make some beautiful and interesting bowls.  I believe it has a lot of moisture in it so a lot of care is needed to keep it from cracking as it dries.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

bull

I >:( I hate that crap/ it was introduced here in massachusetts by the state highway dept in the late 70's while building interstate
190 which runs along the east side of our property..... it spreads like weeds and only grows into shrubs of about 6 feet tall and 15 feet wide....  dig it out by the roots and burn it...
It loves to be cut its grows back 10 fold....

OneWithWood

Yeah, what Bull said.  It never gets to any size,  It just gets in the way.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Wenrich

When I moved into my place 25 years ago, I had a field of multiflora rose.  I got that under control by using goats.

The goats are gone, and multiflora has been replaced by
Russian olive.  I'd rather have the multiflora.

I do see quite a few birds nests in them.  But, they help broadcast the seed.  It's also good cover for deer.  But, other than that, it just takes up space that could be better used by a more productive species.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

L. Wakefield

It does make good bee fodder. Now- a question- where the first reply talked about turning the wood- do you think you could manage it like either Paulownia or osage orange- to cut back everything but one central stalk and let the growth go into that? (I wouldn't hink so offhand from looking at the growth habit but...)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

johncinquo

DanG, I checked this thread thinking we were going to get into good things to mix with Stoli!

we have a big hedge of this that seperates our cottage from the neighbors, I chop it back every fall and by early summer it is just as big and makes a great vision block.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

WyMan

Sounds like most of you like it the way I do - burned!  I did however hear of a wonderful use for the plant -- Mother-in-Law chairs ...   8)
Just a thought from a freed modern slave.

dail_h

MULTIFLORA ROSE--------OH NOOOOOOO

I got kicked out of ag class in high school one time because of that stuff.Our teacher thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread,I on the other hand had spent too much time getting rid of it.When asked how to establish a stand I replied plant one sprig in the center of a 10 acre field get a grubbing hoe&chop like hell.Wrong,I was out of there.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Bud Man

Sweet smell when in bloom, good roost for birds, good windbreak-hedge- property line, bird fodder (seeds),  There's enough of It present with out going out of your way to trying to promote more.  About the only thing I know will get rid of it is Round-Up when it's hot.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Thank You Sponsors!