iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

046/460 big bore kit

Started by MDP, February 05, 2007, 11:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDP

I just recently rebuilt an 046 and used one of the big bore kits from Bailey's. The bearings in the case failed early in its life due to a blunder of mine ::) so the case has new bearings and the 54mm cylinder and piston, which is normally 52mm stock. This is a aftermarket kit so the price is pretty reasonable compared to OEM stuff and I figured what the heck I'll give it a try. The extra 2mm adds a total of approx. 6cc's to the overall displacement which seems to definetly give the saw extra grunt, which is nice. So if anyone is on the fence on trying one of these kits, so far so good, looks to be a quality item. I'll keep you posted if anything major happens.

Mark

jokers

Mark,

Are you talking about the wrist pin bearing or the crank bearings when you say "The bearings in the case failed early in its life due to a blunder of mine"? If you don`t mind me asking, what do you do that caused premature failure?

Thanks

Russ

MDP

It was the main bearings that failed, not the wrist pin or the big end of the crank. At the end of the cutting season when we get laid off I tear my saws down and give them a thorough cleaning, I made a couple of special metal plates to seal off the intake and exhaust ports and off to the pressure washer I went, wrong thing to do, water got into the case and I was unaware of this at the time, ended up killing the bearings quick. So I no longer pressure wash, just brushes and solvent or simple green.

Mark

TexasTimbers

That's taking your saw-cleaning quite seriously. That's admirable, but do you think it is necessary to tear them down to parade rest like that ???

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

OneWithWood

Do you rinse the simple green off with water?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

MDP

I like to tear them down most of the way in order to get as much of gunk out as possible, it's amazing where that stuff will collect, it's also easier to clean the cylinder fins without the obstuctions.I also check for damaged parts or excessive wear and fix or replace if needed. I use simple green mainly on the plastics, spray on, let it sit and wipe off with a paper towel or a rag. I won't be getting water too close to my saws anymore it's too darned expensive.

Mark

jokers

I wash down my saws a couple of times per year since I`ve seen saws that siezed from being caked with crud and overheating. I have been using the purple Castrol degreaser or a generic purple degreaser that I get at Sam`s Club which seems to be the same product. I pull the engine over so that the piston is at TDC and seal the intake with a paper towel or rag shoved into it. Of course I make an effort to not spray directly into the intake but getting the rag or paper towel wet is no big deal. A few applications of degreaser with a little brushing and rinsing from a garden hose and the saws end up being nice and clean.

After cleaning I tilt the saw forward to dump any water out of the muffler, then fire `em up to heat them and dry `em out, this also relubes the bearings and cylinder if they had happened to be degreased or wetted. I`ve done alot of saws like this and haven`t had any problems yet. I think that a pressure washer could too easily overcome the crank seals ability to seal and I suspect this is what happened to you Mark.

Honestly, getting saws wet internally isn`t an automatic death sentence as long as you get most of the water out before restarting the engine. I know two guys who have dropped idling saws into water that did not ruin the engines and another friend of mine is a salvage diver who has recovered numerous sleds which as long as they did not hydro lock when they first hit water, do not suffer any permanent damage. Don`t tell the insurance companies this though.  ;)

MDP

Another update on the Bailey's big bore kit: All those new parts are nice and seasoned now, and it's really cutting nice, real good power at the stump, runs like a new saw if not better. So far so good.

Mark

treeape

I've cleaned many a saw like jokers and have never had a problem. I was once tearing apart a ms200 and it was so caked up with crud, I submerged the motor in a bucket of water and simple green and let it soak for a few hours. When i reassembled the saw I turned it over by hand to get the water out and let it drain a bit. I fired it up and ran the hell out of it at work, while i would not reccomend this, it did not lead to any problems for me.

Thank You Sponsors!