iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingle jig

Started by WH_Conley, February 05, 2007, 10:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

Would anybody have any pictures, closeups, of a shingle making attachment? Doesn't have to be a particular brand, read on here somewhere the WM will only go down to about a foot long, I need something shorter so I guess I will have to build it. Thanks in advance.
Bill

sawdust

There are some pictures of mine in my album, it needs a vertical saw. Band or circular.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

WH_Conley

Sawdust, does this jig do one block at a time? What kind of production do you get with it?
Bill

sawdust

Evening WH, Yes one block at a time, I have not ever produced them more than just to experiment with. I am just now building a shop and will try to actually make enought to roof it with. The slickest rig I ever saw was a conveyor with blocks on it. This could be hard to describe! The belt had small blocks that must have been 3/4 inch tall screwed across it every 22 inches or so. The belt ran flat and horizontally, picking blanks that were each blank was held high and the back end sat on the belt and was pushed along by the block that the next blank up.Each blank was cut by the bandsaw into two tapered shingles. This machine kept four or five people very busy. last I saw it it was for sale in a small BC town called Pouce Coupe. This was just after the pine shingle lawsuit thing that happened in Alberta. I think all of those rot problems could have been avoided if the building code had allowed the shingles some breathing air on the roof.

my two bits.  sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Rail-O-Matic

My mill can do tapered side boards and shingles without a special jig, she can do up to 25 inches across and can be adjusted to do different rates of taper at the flick of a lever.

http://www.chainsawmills.co.uk/4_stroke_powered_mills.htm
Pm me here for further information dds.uilleann@talktalk.net
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

WH_Conley

What I had in mind would be more like the WM shingle attachment, only for shorter stuff, more like wedges, something that would cut multiple blocks at once. Just haven't found any pictures with enough resolution or close up enough to get any real ideas.

Sawdust, Raio-O-Matic, both looks like they would work fine, just need something a little higher production.
Bill

Rail-O-Matic

My Alaskan bandsaw mill has the ability to cut a series of blocks that are laid level across the bed tight up against each other, I lift the taper jig at one end and cut through 20 blocks at once, sideways, lower the taper jig and run through again and so on its really quick giving 20 shingles every 20 seconds.
Sorry I can't post pictures as I cannot work out how to post them, its beyond me right now but I have tried, is there some way it could be done automatically like on the
ArboristSite forum, real easy to use.
Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

LT40HDD51

I've heard of a guy who rigged his WM shingle jig to hold the blocks crosswise, instead of lengthwise. He could saw a lot more shingles with every pass. Not quite sure how he geared it up, shouldn't be too hard...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Tom

If it is how I picture it, he had to deal with excelsior rather than sawdust.  That stuff plugs the saw and will stop you.  His efforts may have been for naught.

WH_Conley

If he was turning the cants crossways and cutting, indeed excelsior was the product, don't ask me how I know. :(
Bill

LT40HDD51

I dunno... You mean that fuzzy stringy stuff like you get in softwood knots sometimes? Birdnest-lookin stuff that plugs the chute :)? I never thought about that, just remember hearing about it once, thought I'd mention it...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

WH_Conley

That's the stuff. Sounds like a great idea, er, well I thought it was anyhow. :-\
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!