iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable post and beam construction.

Started by Rick Alger, February 05, 2007, 08:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Alger

I don't want to insult any of you timber framers with this question. Your craft is an art that is way beyond my skill level. But I thought you might be able to help me out.

I would appreciate advice and tips on building a knock-down portable post and beam shed around 10' x 12'. It will be used as a stable and dinner shack on logging sites.

I picture using 6"x6" framing, with some kind of bolted metal connectors.

I would particularly like to know if there are suppliers of this type of connectors. I've looked at Timberlinx and Socket Systems. They both seem good, but geared for permanent applications. And they are expensive for a shed.

ohsoloco

Urbanlogger was working on one that he talks about HERE

Don't know how things went on it.  Maybe he can shed some light on it...

MemphisLogger

We've put up and knocked down the frame that Ohsoloco mentioned 3 times now.

It's just pegged mortise and tenon. The pegs go all the way thru so you can drive them back out. After the second raising the joints started to get a little loose due to shrinkage of the posts and beams so we strapped it tight with big ratchet clamps on the third raising and redrilled the holes 7/8" (they were 3/4) and it tightened up again.

Mine's built of Cypress for weight and cuz that's what I had. Cypress it a little soft for the joints. If I was going to build a truly portable frame, one that went up and down more often, I'd probably use a hardwood or SYP--I think the joints would hold up to repeated assembly/disassembly better.     
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Furby

Don't think I'd wanna eat dinner in a stable unless I didn't have any other choice. ;)

jayzee

Hey Rick,
  For over a hundred years my family has been loggers  here in the mountains of northEASTERN Oregon. Speaking from experience that 10 x12 shack is way too small ! Build it stout ! JayZee.

Jayson

I bet some wedged half dovetails would hold up a little better than those pegged joints. A lot less of the wallowing out effect. Then use your metal brackets to tie the roof down. Let us know how it works out.

barbender

Rick- I have the last name Alger as well. Where are you from? Sorry, I don't have any advice for your stable/lunch shack, but what about one of those carport type things they make with poly tarp material?  At least that would be a place to get out of the wind, and they are simple to set up.
Too many irons in the fire

Rick Alger

Hey cuz,

I'm in Milan, NH. Any family ancestors I know of are buried in New England and Quebec.

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to use a poly tarp for a covering, but I need something fairly rugged to tie up the horses.

I may have to weld up some pockets out of angle iron or whatever. I was hoping somebody had already figured the details out.

Rick

barbender

Gotcha- you gotta anchor those horses, I don't suppose that galvanized tubing would slow them down too much.  Make sure you set up by some big trees I guess  :).BTW- my ancestors from way back came from the massachusetts area, probably the same family
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!