iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Zac's first big game rifle.

Started by Part_Timer, February 04, 2007, 09:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

Well in 2008 I'm taking Zac up north with me to hunt moose.  He didn't have a center fire rifle so the search began.  After a couple of months of looking at guns he decided that he had to have a lever gun but wanted some range to the cartridge.  Well that left us with limited options.   After a couple more months of debate the decision was finally made.  Well a trip to the gun shop left us waiting for 3 more weeks while the dist. got hold of one.

FINALLY Zac is the proud owner of a Browing BLR in 358 Winchester.  8) 8) 8)

I ordered dies last week.  They told me that 358 brass is a seasonal thing and we could not get any until JULY........  ::) ::)  Yah right like I'm gona wait until July.   I bought a bag of 308 and we'll make some.  When we get all the fixings here and get some loaded I'll post some pics of shooting milk jugs full of ice. :) :) :) :) :)

I don't have much experiance with this round but from everything I read it should put the smack down on a moose.  I might even need a barrel for the encore before this is done.  ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

farmerdoug

PT,  It sounds like Zach will be finally able to shoot his gun when you do get that Encore barrel.  I just hope you have not worn it out by then.  ::) Where are you going moose hunting?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Part_Timer

I sure won't wear it out it is about an inch to long for me.  I shot one round out of it and it smacks my face wrong.  Feels like I'm gona loose a tooth. :)

We are headed for Peace River Alberta.   It's about half way up and on the west side.  Very pretty country.   I've taken 2 bull moose and a bear.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Samuel

My Dad has the same gun...we refer to it as the Hamburger gun.  Its like shooting a canon ball at an animal.  Will be a great gun with fantastic ballistics if you are shooting under 150 yards.  Here in the wide flat areas I am in, I much prefer my 7mm Mag.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Burlkraft

PT...'bout time you got that boy his gun..... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Part_Timer

Samuel

My buddy lives just outside of Grimshaw.  I don't know if you know where deep creek is or not but it's pretty much thick cover, at least the part I've been on. We also hunt up in the moonshine lake area.  I'll have the 308 if we need to reach out farther. 

What's the temp like up that way?
Peterson 8" ATS.

Samuel

Quote from: Part_Timer on February 05, 2007, 01:34:56 PM
Samuel

My buddy lives just outside of Grimshaw.  I don't know if you know where deep creek is or not but it's pretty much thick cover, at least the part I've been on. We also hunt up in the moonshine lake area.  I'll have the 308 if we need to reach out farther. 

What's the temp like up that way?

Who is your buddy and where exactly does he live.  Temperature here today is a balmy -12 C but snowed about 4" this afternoon with heavy winds and a risk of freezing rain later.  Yipee
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Part_Timer

My buddys name is Darrel Johnson and he runs Mighty Peace Outfitting.  If you go through Grimshaw and past Berwin about a mile or so.  he works at the waste water treatment plant there in Grimshaw.  Ok well maybe "work's" is a streatch but he puts time in there.  If ya know him tell him I said hi and get back to work and quit loafing. :) :)

Last time I hunted moose there it was 55-60 deg when I shot my moose and by the next moring it was maybe 20 and snowing.  It didn't quit snowing for about 2 weeks or so.  It was neat to see all the mulies hurded up in the wheat fields before it started to snow.  Just wish I'd a had a tag for one.

Ya gota love the freezing rain. NOT
Peterson 8" ATS.

Part_Timer

Burlkraft

What is it that you use up there.  besides the truck ;)

By the way no Chow Chow for us.  $$$$ is way to high but it was nice to get to talk to your mom for a bit.  She sure is a nice lady.  Wonder how you turned out so rotten :)
Peterson 8" ATS.

asy

Just out of curiosity, how old is Zac now?

asy :Dn
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Burlkraft

Quote from: Part_Timer on February 05, 2007, 10:15:26 PM
Burlkraft

What is it that you use up there.  besides the truck ;)

I use 2 rifles...depends on what I'm shootin'....I use a 22-250 fer doe huntin'...1 well placed shot between da ears... ;D ;D ;D

When I'm buck huntin' I use a 36 year old Remington 700 bolt of the 30-06 persuasion....

Did ya call the rescue lady she told ya about ??? They come a little cheaper....

My mom has gotten much nicer than when I was a kid...... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Part_Timer

Zac is 14 now, We figure by the time we get up there he should be big enough to bull dog his moose and stuff it in a sack.  :D

Nope we didn't call the rescue lady yet.  Things are shaping up to getting buisy.  We're heading to the farm in March and then a trip to see my grand dad, with a stop over at GOI's in June.  My grand dad will be 90 and doesn't feel safe getting in the boat to go fishing anymore so we're going to go down and take him out.  Should be a good time.   My kids have never seen a gator so it could get interesting. :)
Peterson 8" ATS.

Thank You Sponsors!