iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shooting Wolves

Started by chet, February 04, 2007, 08:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife service has shot 4 Northern Timber Wolves in this area in da last couple of weeks, with the hopes of shooting at least 1 more. Iron County, in the U.P. of Michigan has a large population. In some cases they are beginning to be a noticeable problem. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

farmerdoug

Chet,  I would not say that to loud or the wolf huggers will be up there in force.  If they show up tell them that they should go out in the woods to protect the wolves.  Maybe they will get a good look at a wolf from the inside. :D :D

We have a real problem with Coyotes around here now.  They are killing all of the young deer.  I am not too upset about that really but I wish they would eat more coons. ;D  The real problem is they are cleaning up the neighborhood cats and dogs too.  Do not even think about leaving small animals unprotected around here.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Sprucegum

Wolves are real usefull for keeping the coyote population in check and they both work to keep other species from being overpopulated.
In our role as Master of the Universe we need to monitor the balance , which is best done by leaving things alone.

Two big rabbits moved into my neighborhood and fed and froliced til there were six big rabbits feeding and frolicing. Then wily coyote wandered into town. In short I found 5 piles of fur and one VERY nervous rabbit. He is the fastest rabbit I have ever seen.

farmerdoug

Speaking of rabbits, I guess that is why they are no longer fun to hunt.  I use to hunt them with a .22.  I would kick the brush and when they jumped I would wait until they stopped and take my shot.  Now with or with dogs they run like bullets to the nearest hole.  Never thought about the yotes being the cause of that too.  I have no problem with the balance of nature.  But man sure can screw it up good. 

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

I don't know your situation in other parts of the globe, but shooting coyotes here is just senseless. The fur isn't even worth much now a days. Coyotes killing deer is natural, even bambie has to feed something. If they were so worried about killing deer around here they shouldn't have clearcut all their winter habitat. I worked in the woods in BC among wolves and they never bothered us, most of the time you only knew they were around by their tracks. If they eat a few cats, great, there are way to many anyway. I get 5 or 6 neighbor's cats here at meal time looking for scraps, and I live out in farm country. I'm thinking a few of them cats are going to come up missing.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

I thought clearcuts were the best thing for increasing deer herds. They like food, and clearcuts gets it fer dem, so I've been led to believe.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Clear cuts don't give thermal cover and the deep snow keep them away unless there is active logging where they use the machine trails to get to the tops. I don't see deer on clearcut acreages here in dead of winter, not even on my woodlot is there a deer track in winter in those plantations. Deer here head for the old softwood stands and yard up. Clear cuts are great for summer food though. In those older stands there is food from hardwood regen in the canopy openings and the lichens on the dead branches of fir and spruce. Should see when an old fir breaks off that is covered in old man's beard lichen. It's tramped to death from deer after the lichens. In northern NB where the old softwood was nuked from harvesting, the deer populations crashed. The deer do better in southern NB with less snow and milder winters.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

So's they need both, is what you're sayin. Food for summer, shelter for winter (and maybe food on the edges).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DWM II

Down here in the south, a year old clear cut with the tops left in it are deer havens. It doesnt get cold enough to kill all vegitation and some actualy grow well during the winter. The deer will go into these areas and not walk out of it particularly if the buck-doe ratio is bad out of whack. If there's too many does and the herd is staying in the clear cuts, the buck wont chase one doe. They stay in the clear cut until another is ready do breed. They have all the feed they want, youpon, green briars, honyesuckle and such.

With the hunting pressure they get here, it doesnt take them long to realize they arer safer in the cut overs.

The only issue I have personaly with coyotes is when you are looking for your down deer, they are looking for it also. There's been times when people have met up with them at the site of the dead game, that leaves for a scary moment.
Stewardship Counts!

Dana

Chet, I thought you guys practiced the three s's up there? ;)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

A couple of my most memorable experiences in the woods is coming within a few feet and eye ball to eye ball with a grey wolf in Michigan's western U.P. In one instance there were 3 of them in the dark and in the other only one in deep snow, but a real thrill and no camera along. 
~Ron

fuzzybear

I had to shoot a wolf about 3 months ago. Dang bugger had my best dog by the neck. If it wern't for his twin brother body slamming the bugger and knocking him off I wouldn't have had enough time to bring the shotgun up.  It's amazing what a 1oz slug will do to a wolf at 25 yards. Only had to put 6 stitches in the poor dog.
   We have thousands of wolves up here. They are very hard to trap and have lots of food. An average wolf is around 120lbs and I've seen some pushing 180lbs.  They are nice to listen to when they start howling to each other. 
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Ron Scott

Yes, "The Call of the Wild", great to listen to.
~Ron

Don P

I'm not sure if its true but I've heard shooting coyotes makes her breed faster. Is this true?

Jeff

Not if yer shootin the breeders.

Sprucegum

Thats the trick alright - when you shoot the female leader of the pack the next one or two in line get to breed , and they don't waste any time.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Well, I suppose thats a start... :D

SwampDonkey

That's more coyotes then in all of NB.  ::)

Jeff

That might be enough to clear out a 5 or 6 mile radius here.

farmerdoug

They must be a little thin up your way, Jeff. ;)

Farmerdoug

Doug
Fargo, MI

Cedarman

Was that a one or two day hunt?  If around here probably a morning hunt.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Jeff

You dont dare wait to track a deer. You better knock em down, or dog em until you catch up because if you wait to let em lay down like we were all taught to do, the coyotes will have it before you.

SwampDonkey

You fellas must not be hunting them to hard if they are that thick in Michigan. You guys have way more guns than we do. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!