iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OK you Canadians, I'm crying uncle!

Started by oakiemac, February 04, 2007, 03:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I think it is a pretty dirty trick that the neighbors to our north are shipping all their cold air down to us. ;D I have to admire them because I like practical jokes and pulling a good one on our neighbors is always a lot of fun, but this trick takes the cake. More like it is taking my breath away.

I'm a fairly hearty individual in that I work outside in just about any weather. I have sawed in the rain, snow, and the worst of all which is hot humid summer days. But this stuff that the Canadians are sending our way is too much. I haven't been able to do hardly anything in about a week now.

For those of you that aren't familar with lake effect snow, its when we get cold air from up north and it blows across our little pond called lake Michigan where the warmer water and cold air mix we get this lovely white stuff. And we have been getting it in vast quantites. Everything here is cancelled-all church servies and events. Most counties are recommending that you stay off the roads. I had to pull two people out of the ditch already today. One guy buried his SUV in snow up to the door handles. I saw him out there spinning his tires so I took the Bobcat over there but I had to dig a tunnel out first just so I could get close enough to hook a chain to his SUV. He gets out of the vehicle wearing a light jacket, no hat, no gloves. If I hadn't pulled him out, he might of froze to death. Some people don't use too much common sense. I guess common sense isn't so common anymore.
Well anyways, I think I'll just have another cup of coffee and stare at my log pile through the window. I've tried to think of a way to repay the Canadians but I think that they have won the game hands down. :)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

sawguy21

You are most welcome. Glad we could help. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Polly

8) 8)  think positive their loss is our gane / we can make snow cream go sleigh riding or stay inside  watch tv or torment the boss while she is trying to take care of us  :) :) :) :D

Jeff

The cold is even crippling the dogs when I take them out. Juno the husky just says HA HA HA, You pansies! but the Australian Sheppard and Scooter, after about a minute they are hobbled. I had to go get scooter he just couldnt walk back in.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Got me a nice cup of Coffee and readin the Forum in my shorts. That's all, just shorts, well, cut off Jeans.  8) 8) 8) :D :D

I remember climbin poles and steel towers, and also milking cows in that kinda stuff.  :o :o :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DR Buck

QuoteI guess common sense isn't so common anymore.

I'll have to remember that one.   It's more truth that fiction these days.    Scary huh?

It hasn't been real cold here in northern VA. But, today the wind is blowing hard from the northwest, tempreture is dropping, and I can't do anything because of sawdust swirlling around in my face from all sides.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: DR_Buck on February 04, 2007, 03:52:17 PM
It hasn'e been real cold here in northern VA. But, oday the wind is blowing hard from the northwest, tempreture is dropping, and I can't do anything because of sawdust swirlling around in my face from all sides.

Get out your ski goggles and get back to work.  Ski goggles seem to seal the dust out pretty well but let enough air circulate that they don't fog up (or fog your glasses if you have to wear them like I do).  Wear a dust mask too to keep the dust out of your lungs.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

WH_Conley

What is all this talk about global warming? ;D
Bill

pasbuild

Iv been watching the neighbors dog this weekend (Siberian Husky) that durn dog likes it out there :o lays around on the snow banks like theres nothin to it. I don't know if the owner would be bringing it in at night but I have been with -35 windchill, wouldn't ya know it the dog licks my face at two PM ta go out and do his thing, can't just let it out or it will run away so I have to go out with the dog on a leash. Let me tell ya its DANG COLD up here at two PM.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Gary_C

I thought I had blocked all those popups on my computer, but now someone that aparently has run out of wood has hacked the Forum and left a pop up message about the cold.  ;D

Or is it Yooper Day?  ???
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Cedarman

Well at least the mud is gone.  But those solid ruts are just a little rough.  Just put the tractor in gear and it will guide itself back to the wood yard.  15 and isn't bad.  I hate to work out in temps less than that.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

isawlogs

I just got back from throwing a log in the furnace , it will take a little time for the heat to get to you , but it will .. in a month or so  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

breederman

thanks marcel,you are a heck of a guy! ;)

Together we got this !

scsmith42

Ya know, there's something that I just don't understand.

Hot air rises, right?

And Canada is above Washington DC on the maps, right?

So how come there isn't a heat wave in Eastern Canada whenever the US Congress is in session???   :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

farmerdoug

Wildflower,

Turn up the heat in the house.  I think the Boss is freezing. ::) :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

farmerdoug

Oakiemac,

I hear you on the cold.  I will saw down to 20°F but after  that the mill works to slow.  It is a good way to break things too.  Today the high was 10°F with the windchill well below 0°F.  They say that Febuary is going to be cold like January was warm.  I guess the frost is going deep this anyways.  The breakup laws will last a while too. ::)

I see it is finally driving the fire wood prices around here too.  I am now seeing ads for $60 per face cord.  Last year it was $45. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

rebocardo

> He gets out of the vehicle wearing a light jacket, no hat, no gloves.
> If I hadn't pulled him out, he might of froze to death.

That is when you give him a serious look and say because of insurance regulations, you have to have everyone out of the vehicle while you work with your heavy equipment. You take ten minutes to give him a good chill and idea of what might happen if he got stuck. Then you say "Shouldn't you be dressed warmer?"

Coon

:D     :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D

We're just brewing another batch of frigid temps here right now.

:D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D    :D 

And here you guys thought I just sent Sprucebunny and SwampDonkey some snow and cold weather smiley_curtain_peek

Old Man Winter will get you everytime.  We're used to it already here. 

;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: farmerdoug on February 04, 2007, 07:44:36 PM
I hear you on the cold.  I will saw down to 20°F but after  that the mill works to slow.  It is a good way to break things too.  Today the high was 10°F with the windchill well below 0°F. 
I guess my mill is tougher than yours.  I've sawed when the morning temperature was -20F and sawed all day when the wind chill index went down to -50 and nothing broke on my mill.  ;D

I decided after that that -15 would be the cutoff because I kept tripping the circuit breaker when raising the head while backing up to load the next log and I couldn't afford the time it took to reset because I started to get cold while waiting.  :)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Sprucegum

I just remembered something I did as a taxi driver(in a previous life). It was a cold day like this when I got a call to pick at the International airport. It was a couple football players from Texas come to sign up with the Edmonton Eskimos. We have covered walkways from the planes to the terminal and the taxis pull right up to the door so these guys weren't outside even 2 seconds. As I start the 1/2 hour drive back to Edmonton one of them looks out at the snow covered fields and sez

"These winters ain't so bad, don't know what all the fuss is about."

I didn't say anything , just turned off the heater and opened my window a crack.

Took him less than 10 minutes to change his mind  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Quartlow

Whats this cold you speak of? It's just starting to get a bit brisk.   :D  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

asy

Spruce, you're naughty.  Funny, but naughty.

Guys, you can blow a little of the cool this-a-way, pleeeeease...

It's 27C in my lounge room, but that's only coz I've had the air con on all day, so it's nice and cool. No eye deer what the temp is outside, too scared to go look. I have to go out in a minute to fetch kids from school, else they melt before they get home...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

leweee

weather man says we got a week of these temps(-18°C or 0°F) night time & day time highs of(-9°C or !3°F) :D Send all those people outside now that think it's global warming. :) This part of Canada is usually called the "Banana belt"for it's mild winter temps. ::) Enjoy. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

beenthere

So Asy's got the global warming thinger tied up down under now........wonder where it went. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

I was in Grande Prairie Alberta during a beautiful September, we had not yet had frost. Two southern fellers, one from SC and the other from Tennesee, were there doing shutdown work at the local mill and complained about the cold. I remarked to the waitress that we should have them in January when it is -40. One looked at me wide eyed "Minus faughty, how cold is
that?" :D :D :D Mind you, I can't handle heat and high humidity so I guess we are even. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!