iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moose Logging???

Started by Samuel, February 04, 2007, 12:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samuel

This is sure to raise some conversation...  You (older) guys ;D like to chat about horse logging...what do you think about this:

Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

LT40HDD51

:o :o I think thats the coolest thing I have ever seen  :D
I've been around horses and mules but a moose?!?!?! Where? When? Who? How?
I'm not an "older" guy, but thats too cool  ;D
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Brian Beauchamp

That's a pretty good fake!  ;D Shadows give it away though!  :)

Coon

I am pretty sure that that is not fake for the sole fact that there used to be a guy that lived near Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan that had a team of moose.  He had them tained for pulling a wagon and riding them.  He had found both of them abandoned by their mother.  Had she been killed or had no milk for them no one knows.  The guy watched them for two days with the mother not showing up.  He managed to get both moose calves back to the barn and warmed up and fed with fresh cows milk.  He fed them by using an old glove with a hole in one finger and was tied to a canning jar.   I will see if I can find the pics and the story about this in the local history books.  Will take me a few days because I don't have any of the books but know people who do.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

jon12345

They even come with brush guards  :D

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

oakiemac

I want one! Where can I buy a logging Moose? I'll trade two kids and a crooked legged hound dog!
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LT40HDD51

I want a logging moose too, may as well have a team I guess...  ;D And saddle broke, so I could go out with the woman when she goes riding (her horse) :D

Samuel, where did you find this pic?
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Woodhog

The moose that we used to use was trained to brow up the logs with his antlers...

it worked quite well on small logs... we  paid quite a lot of money for a kevlar blanket for him during hunting season...

SwampDonkey

Tommie the moose was used as a pack horse on the Miramachi and i know they used moose up on the Yukon. No need for hay, just take them to the nearest willow and aspen thicket. ;D

I'm waiting for the story on the moose pictured though. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

logwalker

A friend of mine has an old newspaper clipping of 2 young moose hitched to a plow. Very strange looking. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

farmerdoug

SD, you need to get a couple of those moose.  After all you are always complaining about what they do to your trees. ::)  Just go to the woods an catch a couple.  When you are ready to break them let us know.  I am sure you could get a few visitors from the Forum at the hospital you be in for a while. ;D :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

I ain't quite as crazy yet as the Tobiquer that jumped from his canoe onto the back of a swimming moose.  But if there ever was a wild animal that could be tamed, it's a moose for sure. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LT40HDD51

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 04, 2007, 05:23:45 PM
Tommie the moose was used as a pack horse on the Miramachi...
Dad was telling me tonite that a long time wm owner, salmon fishing buddy, and good friend of his in Miramichi told him about a moose in that area. A guy had it harness broke and then his brother shot it by accident during moose season  >:( Wonder if it was the same one?

I wonder how many moose-in-a-harness conversations this has started across the countryside...  ;D

SwampDonkey

Oh well, your in a for a treat. ;D You haven't seen the moose cheese discussion yet. :D :D

Something Cheesey ;D

Samuel

I have no idea where this pic came from except as it was emailed to me from our Woodlands Manager as a cost savings idea for harvesting activities...
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

beenthere

When Missy Moose comes strollin by all het up, bet the big antlered one be gone in a hurry.  ;D ;D 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sparty

Its a little known fact that the U.S. government forces American beer companies to produce lower alcohol contents than Canadian beer to prevent exactly this kind of insanity! 

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D
Doesn't work though does it!

LT40HDD51

Moose cheese, now I've seen it  :D

But can you imagine actually riding on back of one?? Way too cool  :)

LT40HDD51

A couple years ago, Dad and I were in Newfoundland fixin mills and were staying in a customers salmon/moose camp on the River of Ponds. We went to the river when we got there (couple hundred feet away) and almost slipped on a huge steaming moose pile on the trail  :o . Dad said something about a moose call, almost made one, and thought better. It was the middle of the rut, and bull moose can be crazy. Way too big a critter full of hormones for my liking  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!