iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board Road material (2''x8'')

Started by big_sid, February 03, 2007, 07:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big_sid

Does anyone saw and sell board road (2''x8'') material.Talked to a guy 6 or 8 months ago that's a buyer in my area, but passed on it then, how hard do they grade, are they reliable on their pay, and what other  unforseen things a body might need to know. any advise will help.
never been so happy to be so broke

beenthere

Never heard of it. Doesn't mean anything, but its a new one to me.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I didn't think anyone made plank roads anymore  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

dail_h

The loggers around here use road mats,made outta low grade oak. I figured some a coupla times,with labor ,an bolts ,I'd be better off settin on the porch.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

big_sid

They put the 2''x8''s together to make two layers of wood, one layer turned one way,with the next on top turned the other way. kinda like lamainted. they use them for road mats, crane mats,in oil fields, did have their web adderess but can't find it.I''ll post when I get it.
never been so happy to be so broke

WH_Conley

Another thing to think about are crane mats. I know you have seen them on construction sites. I thought about them for a bit but the material handling put me off. If anyone doesn't know what a crane mat is it's most of the time oak or hickory 12"x12"x20' usually 4 to 5 of them bolted togather for foundations to set cranes on. Course there are different sizes.

What put me off was the weight, no way to handle them, gotta have 6 for a truck load, my loader won't move one.
Bill

thecfarm

We call them swamp mats in my neck of the wood.Most are 12"X12" hemlock.I don't really know how wide,8-10 feet I would guess.Most loggers put 5-6 together.I have seen the crane mats.A bridge is being replaced and they are using something like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tcsmpsi

Still use board roads down in these parts.  Not sure 'today', but used to use a lot of sweetgum for them.   

Around here, one would probably talk to the oil companies.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!