iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PAN FRIED CORN BREAD

Started by Polly, February 03, 2007, 03:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

8) 8)    theiris a barbacure resturant in gallatin tenn that serves pan fried corn bread boy it is good has anyone got resepee :) :) 8)

Polly

8) sorry about using caps above as you see i cant spell or type either :D :D 8)

BBTom

Quick and easy way from thatsmyhome.com

Pan-Fried Cornbread
2 C. self-rising corn meal
2 to 3 C. very hot water
1 to 2 T. oil for pan

Mix corn meal and hot water. Heat oil in skillet.
Drop corn meal mixture onto hot oiled skillet by the heaping teaspoonful, like little pancakes.
Cook like you would a pancake, browning on both sides.

or more traditional from cooks.com

FRIED CORNBREAD
Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 c. yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
4 tbsp. finely minced onion
Boiling water
1 egg
Vegetable oil

Place cornmeal in a large mixing bowl. Add salt, garlic salt, and onion. Pour boiling water over cornmeal mixture, beating rapidly until all cornmeal is moist. (Mixture should resemble a thick pudding.) Add egg and beat. Heat 1 inch vegetable oil in skillet. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Brown on both sides. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Polly

8)    thanks for info i copied and gave to wife suggested we have for breakfest  :) :) 8)

Coon

Gonna try one of these recipes tonight.  digin_2
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WH_Conley

Yellow corn meal
little butter
little meat grease
1 egg
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
milk

The wife makes mighty good corn bread, but she never measures anything, I guess after fixing it for me for 30+ years she just goes on instinct. I do know that about you can get around here anymore is "cornmeal mix", when she can get plain cornmeal, usually at tractor pull and oldtimy events she alwawy get several bags she adds other stuff. She must be a fair cook, I weigh about 80 lbs. more than when we got married. :D
Bill

LeeB

I never measure either in a conventional sense. I just use my hand as a measuring cup and spoon. My wife was a horrible cook when we married 30 year back, but she has learned real well over the years. I put on 100+ in that time. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Polly

8) 8)  mr conley your cornbread resepee did not call for baking powder or anything to make batter rise  polly wants to know if you use only ingreadents you listed or did you accidently leave some out ;i copied your resipee yesterday and gave to her and suggested she try it and the above was her response thanks for the help  ::) ::)

WH_Conley

If you are using the cornmeal mix that stuff is already in it. If you can find just plain old corn meal then you have to add the other stuff
Bill

sawguy21

I remember my great aunt making it, we had never seen it before. It certainly was good with maple syrup.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LeeB

I like it best with mollasis. I'm not too keen on maple syrup. Isn't pan fried corn bread also known as spoon bread?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Coon

The cornmeal I had was 100% Natural No Additives.  The wife asked if we were to put in flour and baking powder in it.  I said "No way.  Use just what the recipe said."  I fried them up and it wasn't all that bad.  Guess we know for next time.

BBTom,
By the way how much flour and baking powder do you add to the second recipe.

SwampDonkey

I bake my cornbread and I add either cut up dates or frozen raspberries with sugar added, blueberries are good to.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
mix
add
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup milk
mix
add 1 cup fruit, fold in (add tbsp to frozen fruit and nuke 50 secs on HI before adding)

with cut dates, bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 F watch the top for light brown color

with frozen fruit, bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 F because of the moisture in the fruit, keep an eye on it after 25 minutes. Test with tooth pic for dry centre when done. Raspberries may not be to your liking if you have false teeth, seeds. :D

remove from oven, let cool for 10 minutes, cut into squares.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

That sounds good, SD, but ain't it more like a communal muffin?  Down thisaway, cornbread don't have no fruit or sugar or nuthin like that in it.  Usually don't have no flour, either.  We eat it along with a meal, like ya would a dinner roll.  Like I said though, your recipe sounds great, and would make a dessert or breakfast snack. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Dang, yeah I use them instead of muffins. And I know what's in them. ;D

My uncle only eats the regular corn bread with mollases, he won't touch it otherwise. He's the type where it has to be the 'in' thing. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Yep, things is different down here from what they is up there.  We feed moleasses to the cows, and eat cane syrup with our cornbread, if we got a sweet tooth. ;D  I'm on the look for some really good sugar cane syrup.  It's getting hard to find, since most folks are using the wrong kind of cane, and cooking it in a gas fired evaporator, instead of a cast iron kettle over a wood fire.  If I can find some, I'll send ya a dab so your Uncle can see what he's been missing all these years.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Greg Cook

DanG, I've got some "molasses" that I believe was made from cane rather than sorghum. It's good stuff, mild, no bad aftertaste like some of the sorghum I've bought. Iffin you think you'd be interested, I'd  be please to send you a quart, gratis, just to try to sweeten you up  ;D

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

SwampDonkey

We feed it to cows here to Dang. Sometimes we even eat the cows.  ;D

sandmar

yep..that sorghum syrup is the trick..if you can find the good stuff....lots of it tastes burned now because they cook it too long trying to get all the water out :-{

And who can pass up the old stand by cornbread and buttermilk  ;)
Sandmar

SwampDonkey

They pretty it up here with a fancy name. Fancy Molasses.  ;D :D 8)

100 % pure sugar cane juice.  ;)

This here brand has been on the shelves of stores and kitchens for over 125 years. ;D

Coon

Here's what I had for supper night fore last.

That's fried whitefish beside the cornbread

sandmar

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Coon.....add sweet tea and boy,be hard to beat!
Sandmar

Tom

The problem is semantics.

To most of us Southern fellows Molasses is  different than Syrup. 

Syrup is cane juice that has been dehydrated (cooked down over an open fire under a big iron pan) and heated enough to give its taste character.

Mollasses is what is left after cane juice has been boiled to point of removing the crystalized grains of sugar.  The final boiling is Blackstrap Molasses and is used as a medicine or vitamin supplement more than as a food product.

Molasses on the label of jar in our grocery store would not be a fast mover.  If it has been sulphered, it belongs in the pharmacy.

Southern boys are looking for syrup to put in, or on,  their biscuits.  Properly cooked Cane syrup is sweet, mild tasting and retains all of its sugar. It can be rehydrated to make a glass of an energy drink we call "Sweet'n-water".  (Sweetened Water)

ohsoloco

I like to put a little blackstrap molasses in my BBQ sauce  :)  I've been known to eat it right out of the jar too  ;D

SwampDonkey

Most of the old cooking here whether it was home or in the lumber camp revolved around the molasses jug. It was molasses cake, hermits with raisins (a molasses cookie), toffee on snow, brown bread (made from molasses and oatmeal), beans cooked in molasses. Molasses smothered pancakes, corn bread, indian bread, and even a slice of bread. It was just everywhere.  ;) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!