iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

B56 belts for Wood-Mizer blade wheels

Started by LT40HDD51, February 03, 2007, 11:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT40HDD51

Does anyone have experience with using B56 belts on the blade wheels of a Wood-Mizer or other sawmills? When I'm sawing some softwoods (white pine, spruce, poplar...) sawdust buildup under the B57s can be a real pain. Have to clean then out every blade change or two sometimes. I worked for WM in B.C. a couple years back and remember some guys using them sawing cedar, as it was bad for plugging up the sawdust chute and packing in under the belts. Some guys just cut off the fingers in there...

I remember there was a couple types of belts and some had quite an installation procedure to get them on the wheels and "balanced" properly in the shivs. Might have to get ahold of the B.C. crew... Anyone got any ideas?
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

logwalker

I run my belts tight, they are likely B-56's. It never made any sense to me why WM spec'ed oversize belts. I know a lot of guys still run them.

Do not cut the fingers out of the chute. Very dangerous idea if you ask most operators. 

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Swede

Got my sawmill with belts grabbing tight on the wheel, B-56 I think. Hard to get them off (with a knife) and even to put a new on (without a knife). I only did that once. Also spent some time taking sawdust out from under the belts. >:(
Had heard about and seen belts hanging lose so I put SPB-1600 on second time and it works good for me.
SP-belts has a higher profile than A- or B- belts. Gives more crowning and I THINK they last longer before worn out.  Think WM says 400 hrs. for the belts and I use mine longer.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Polly

8) 8)    i use a matched set of bx 56  i  had not noticed dust problem i think grip notch belts that exactly same length work better then trying to replace them one at a time right or wrong :P :P

customsawyer

I run all my belts tight B 56 on LT40 and B72 on the LT70 that keeps the sawdust from under the belts. I have cut the little fingers out of the sawdust chute on my mill as when I am cutting cypress it will fill up the chute. I don't recomend it unless you have to and then keep a very close eye on the sawdust area and make sure know one gets in there in case a blade breaks.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LT40HDD51

Thanks guys, fast responses  ;D

BTW, my sawdust chute fingers are intact. We take the ol girl to the odd show here and there and need all the factory safety stuff intact (insurance guys have no sense of humor). The biggest problem I remember hearing was getting the belts even in the shiv on the wheel.

Quote from: Polly on February 03, 2007, 02:59:05 PM
i use a matched set of bx 56 i had not noticed dust problem i think grip notch belts that exactly same length work better
maybe the bx belts would settle in better than a non-segmented belt. What brand are these, Goodyear?

Quote from: Swede on February 03, 2007, 12:19:00 PM
I put SPB-1600 on second time and it works good for me.
SP-belts has a higher profile than A- or B- belts. Gives more crowning and I THINK they last longer before worn out. 
What is the difference in the SP belt? What's the brand and where do you get em?

I remember hearing about some kind of poly belt, too....
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Swede

A-profile has a width of 13 mm and is 8 mm high (1/2"x1/3" or so)
B-belt is 17x11mm

SPA=12,7x10mm
SPB=16,3x13mm

A SP-belt goes longer into the track and can force 1/3 more power from a driving wheel or to a driven weel. A track for a SP-belt need to be deeper so the belt doesn´t reach the bottom.

I think most brands make these an a lot of other belts. Good Year, Dunlop, Optibelt.........
Z-belt is 10x6mm
C-belt is 22x14 mm
D-belt is 32x20 mm

1"=25,4 mm  ;)

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)

LT40HDD51

Swede: What the heck is a monkey blade???  :D :D

Thanks for the input.

Swede

LT40HDD51:

What´s a WoodMizer?  ;D

Monkeys is The Most Celebrated Brand of Blades! ;)

http://www.munkforssagar.se/

I don´t remember where to buy them in US, think one of the sponsors here can help You.

Swede.

LT40HDD51

That's pretty cool Swede, I love finding out about new stuff to look at on the 'net.

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodmills1

have run B56 for last 7 or 8 years no build up and they last longer.  Very hard to replace.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LT40HDD51

Where do you guys get the belts? What brands? I know you need one with a nice flat back where they join the belt together. Most belts are designed to drive something, not have a blade run on its back...

Percy

Quote from: LT40HDD51 on February 04, 2007, 11:56:48 AM
Where do you guys get the belts? What brands? I know you need one with a nice flat back where they join the belt together. Most belts are designed to drive something, not have a blade run on its back...
When I had my LT40, I used Goodyear 85590 belts. These are just a heavy duty B56 but a tad longer. Easier to put on than a regular B56.

Putting the shorter belts on can be a task. I learned a few tricks, one of them, was when levering the last bite on to the pulley, I would twist the belt around 90 degrees in the appropriate direction(with plyers) so when I levered it on, the belt would snap in correctly as opposed to all up-screwed(thats "screwed up", screwed up). :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

78NHTFY

LT
I run a WM LT 40 with a Kohler 25 but with only 275 hrs on have never had to replace the belts for the blade wheels.  They are starting to scream a lot lately when I cut hardwoods.  Does this means I should be changing them? I am assuming they are B57's, given they appear loose on the blade wheels.  Build up has really never been a problem except when I really run the water cutting hardwoods. Thanks, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

BBTom

if you hear belts screaming, you need to tighten your drive belt.  A slipping drive belt will build up heat, and eat itself quicker than normal,  will also cause blade dive or rise by letting the blade lose speed during the cut. 

The B57's are the belts used as tires for the band to run on.  Most guys seem to get by just fine with the B57 belts,  I have been running them since 01 and have not had any buildup problems,  may be due to species we saw.  I saw very little softwoods or cedar, most all hardwoods, majority cherry, oak and maple. 

I don't have any experience with B56 belts, have never run them myself, but have heard some guys swear by them. From what I hear most everyone that uses them swears at them when putting them on. :)
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Polly

8) 8) GOODYEAR GATES BROWNING  ANY GOOD GRADE BELT WILL WORK EXCEPT WHEN YOU ORDER THEM SPECIFY YOU WANT ONLY A MATCHED SET MEANING THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH SORRY ABOUT CAPS I WASNT WATCHING WHAT I WAS TRYING TO TYPE :-[ :-[ :-[ 8) 8)

pineywoods

I don't think it's that critical.  I once in desperation put B58's on my mill. worked fine until I broke a blade. End of the broken blade ran under the belt and things rapidly turned into a real mess. The only time I have trouble with buildup on the belts is when I get careless and let stuff build up on the blade.
WM recommends browning or goodyear because the outside is flat (no crown) thus has more surface in contact with the blade.
Ditto the previous post. If you hear squealing, it's the main drive belt, not the B57.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Minnesota_boy

I run B57 belts on mine without buildup and I saw anything the customer throws at me except balsam poplar.  My problem is this town has very few places that even carry the B57 belt.  Those that would are often out of stock when I need them so I buy whatever brand someone has.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE THERE IS IN BELT LIFE!  Some will last for a couple of years while other brands will wear out in a couple of months.  Same goes for the alternator belt.  I can wear one brand out so quickly while another will last and last.  :o :(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

LT40HDD51

Thanks fellers, youve been really helpful. I'm gonna try a set here soon. I've found NAPA is pretty good here, can get belts in pretty quick. Bought a set of big C170 or something belts from them for our big ol 12" Asplundh war machine  ;D

Quote from: BBTom on February 04, 2007, 02:50:57 PM
if you hear belts screaming, you need to tighten your drive belt. A slipping drive belt will build up heat, and eat itself quicker than normal, will also cause blade dive or rise by letting the blade lose speed during the cut.
For sure...  :) Common phantom problem.

Hey Percy, say hi to Marv and the boys from the N.S. crew next time you call em  ;D

LeeB

I have had good luck getting the B57's at O'rielly auto parts. Tractor supply usualy has some but they arn't very good. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Percy

Quote from: LT40HDD51 on February 04, 2007, 04:27:30 PM
Hey Percy, say hi to Marv and the boys from the N.S. crew next time you call em  ;D
Ill do that for sure......uuhh...Is your name really LT40HDD51??  :D :D :D Anyways ol Sherlock Marv will figure it out... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

LT40HDD51

I'm probably one of the only young fellers he knows in these parts  ;D I worked for him for about a year a while back. Good feller, have known him forever. Gave me a job right out of high school, learned a lot from him. Tell him Ian says hello  :)

Tom

I used to answer the question about the B57 and B56 belts, but found that there has been more interest in changing recommended equipment by the newer operators.  Some species will pack sawdust under a loose belt.  Still, in my opinion, it doesn't mean that the loose belt is an incorrect choice.

logwalker

Well Tom now that you brought it up, what do you think the purpose or benefits of the loose belts are. I ask because I have been running tight belts for quite awhile and it always runs so smooth and never any negatives. What am i missing? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!