iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeff's Boo-Boo

Started by Bro. Noble, February 18, 2003, 06:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

It hurts just to think about it! There have been some pretty good suggestions for safety equipment come out in this thread. I am glad you are in one piece- if it was a good clean cut and cleaned out well, the nerve may grow back. It will take a while. I forget which hand you said it was- but being ambidextrous on the computer is an enviable skill ( I don't left mouse well but I know people who do.

It sux that you can't take a 'do over' and avoid the mistake. But your telling about it is going to save a lot of people who will be more careful after hearing your story. Get well soon!

:-* Get your sig other to bestow a 'kiss and make it better' at least once daily  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

Well I went to my own Dr. today for a follow up. The emergency room sais to go to urgent care today, but I called my Dr. and he said "Don't go to them towel heads, come see me"  He's quite a guy. first time I went to him I got there at lunch. A nurse and some dude were in the parking lot smoking a cig.  I went on in and later I found out the dude was the doc. He is the realest Dr I have ever met. Stacy went to him for the first time last week for her exczema. He leans back and stretches and yawns and says, "Man I'm tired today, I hope I don't screw up"  :D :D  He then laughed and said how are ya stase...  She saw he was as twisted as dad and likes him.

The hand, Doc has come to the conclusion that the cutting is not the cause of the numbness but it comes from the cruching of the nerves up higher in the hand where the next tooth hit but did not pucture. Thats good news. He said the crunch has a better chance to get better then having them cut off.  The hand is very sore, but I am using it to type. Just can't make a fist to show OneWithWood. :D

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers I know I got here.

Deadheader, it would not have mattered how many times I had done this. The tool failed and thats what caused the accident. However I definitely will come up with a safety device of some kind to avoid this in the future. I'll keep ya all posted on what I come up with.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

You could file all the saw teeth off real dull. :-/

chet

Sorry to hear of your BOO-BOO, hope your on the mend. If it is still bugging ya this weekend in Novi, tip a few of dem 12 oz. pain killers.   8)   8)   8)  A bunch of dem and you'll feel nottin.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

RMay

Jeff sorry to hear about your boo-boo . Hope you get healed up soon .  :(
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

RavioliKid

Dang, Jeff!

Between your owie and the other stories in this thread are making my blood run cold!

Take care of your hands, my friend! (and all the other parts you want to keep!)  ;)
RavioliKid

Saki

Hope that you are back to 100% and right as rain in the immediate future. By sharing your experience, you may save someone an identical or similar experience. It sure sounds as if this accident was in the non-preventable catagory, being a tool failure, but it can serve as a reminder that with the vocation many of us here have chosen there is no such thing as a " routine " job. Even the smallest things have hazards. The tools that we use and the activities that we do, can be, and most usually are, dangerous by their vary nature. Forestry/logging is almost always listed in the top 10 most hazardous jobs by OSHA. I think that depending on the exact year, and statistics that I remember, it being as high as #3, behind only commercial fishing, and mining. So everybody out there take care of yourselves.Saki

D._Frederick

Jeff,
Could you use a rubber mallet to strike the handle of the tooth tool to set the tooth? Sorry to here about your getting cut, glad it wasn't worse. If you work with your hands, the odds are that you are going to end up with damaged fingers or hands if you work long enough.

Bro. Noble

My son sharpens and changes the bits on our scragg saws.  I was telling him about Jeff's accident.  He said that wouldn't happen to him because he uses a cheater pipe on the bit wrench.  Is this a good idea?  Is that why he breaks a shank about every time he changes teeth?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

whitepe

Jeff,
Did you spank that evil machine with your good hand
and send it to bed without supper? ;)

Rick Schmalzried and I were talking about safety at
CAT on our way out the door last night.  Rick's been here about 12 years and I have been here 27 years.
 I asked Rick if he  had ever heard of anyone being killed while he was working at
CAT and he said no. Well I said that the first 10 years
that I worked at CAT there was one person per year
killed while on the job. OSHA eventually cracked down and things have thankfully been better the last 15-17 years.
 I have another co-worker, a man named Mark Strother who lost his leg when a roll
of track for a dozer fell on him. That happened about 20
years ago when he was in his early twenties.  

One time after he had his prosthetic leg he was cruising
the bar scene trying to meet gals and he told this
one gal that he had a cramp in his leg and he wanted
her to stretch it. She obliged and pulled his prosthetic leg
clear off.  He said that she wouldn't talk to him any more.

One of the new gals at work was giving me a hard time
about dinging my foot with the chainsaw in Oct 2001.
Mark just happened to be nearby working on someone's
PC so I had him stop by and tell this gal that he
had lost his leg with a Woodmizer band saw.
She wouldn't believe it until Mark had her knock on
his leg and then she turned real white. ( she's African-American).  We eventually told her what really happened
but we had her going for a while.
She told us that we were real BAD.

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Corley5

Wow Jeff that really sucks!!!  But sounds like you got pretty good news from Doc.  Don't over do it with that hand.  Take it good and easy for a while
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

whitepe

Jeff

What the heck is that?? I don't think I want to know.

whitepe

Scary ain't it?    :o
Do you want to know where it came from?

Jeff

Just to be gory, NO, but if it serves a purpose like teaching a safety lesson then YES. If I want gore I just look in a mirror. :D

chet

A guy I know retired about 10 years ago from the electric company. He bought a portable circle-saw mill to fill his time after retirement. About 2 months later he fell into the saw as it was coasting down.   :o   It cut him between his neck and shoulder, almost severing his arm. His sawmill carear was very short lived.   :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

whitepe

One day I was searching on --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com on
the key word sawmill.  Well several legit matches
came back and also this photo and a couple of
others from someone's "Halloween" collection.
I hope that I didn't scare someone with the gore.
Psychologists say that "poking fun" at things that
are really scary is a subconscious way to cope with
how truly "dangerous" some things can be.
I apologize if I have offended anyone.   :-[

DanG

There's a good lesson, here;  DonT never beat on yer toof changin' gizmo wit yer haid! :D :D

Sorry to hear about your accident. Do you suppose Billsby could spare an extra two seconds in the tooth changing process? I have an idea that might make it safer. A piece of PVC pipe, bent to the exact arc of the blade, and with a slot on the inner radius, a little smaller than the width of the teeth, could be slipped over the teeth, and would slide ahead of the process. It would only have to be about a foot long to offer adequate protection, and would snap on and off in a second.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dail_h

The fervent effectual prayer of a rightous man availeth much,,    KJV     A good doctor is a plus too .Speedy recovery to you.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

sawmill_john

Jeff, hope your healing up OK.  That is one of the hazards of keeping your saws in top shape, even when the teeth are to the point of needing sharpening they can cut the heck out of you.  

John

Gordon

If your hand is hurting Jeff I've got a simple cure but it's short lived.

Just have the mrs BAM ya in the leg with a baseball bat and wa la your hand is no longer hurting. :o

On the serious side hope your feeling better

Gordon

woodman

Jeff are you telling me you used your hand as a hamer on a new saw tooth and lost.
Jim Cripanuk

Sawyerfortyish

Something like this has always been in the back of my mind when i change the teeth in the head saw. I,ve broke that same pin and replaced it many times. As for my edger I put carbide blades in take them off and let someone else sharpen them when needed
 Hope you feel better
                           PS next time wear some gloves it may help and  not hurt as much

Thank You Sponsors!