iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeff's Boo-Boo

Started by Bro. Noble, February 18, 2003, 06:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

I sure hope you get along well with your injured paw.

I suppose you didn't post about it cause you didn't want everyone feeling sorry for you and telling you mushy stuff.  I won't say anything about it either then cause I really feel for you and think you're just wonderful :-* :-* :-*

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Noble_Ma

Looks like some one has let the cat out of the bag Jeff.  Or is that paw ;D  Come on now, fess up.

Texas Ranger

Y'all be gentle on Jeff, he hurt his pinky.  The way I understand it, he impailed his pinkie on a Martinni tooth pick trying to get to the olive ;D

Jeff, thanks for the help on the computer, seems to be speeding right along.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

O.K. boys, (and girls)(and Don) my cut and paste answer cause I aint typing well.

I am wounded. My saw tooth change tool broke a pin this morning as I was slamming in a new tooth in the vertical edger. I drove a sawtooth into the base of the palm of my hand till it contacted with bone. I went to emergency and have to go to another Dr. tomorrow. My middle and ring finger on the right hand are completely numb. I have either cut or traumatized the median nerve that goes through there. I can move them O.K. they are just numb. (that was written this morning, tonight, no moving without silent screams) I have this big ole bulky bandage that has got my hand mummified. No place for the mouse cause my palm is full of gauze!

I hope this is just first night pains. I am becoming increasingly worried that I have severed some wireing. increasing numbness.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dan-l-b

Sounds kinda serious, Jeff.  800 miles away, there isn't much a guy can do to help, so.... keep us informed and my thoughts and prayers are wit yu :) :)

bull

Jeff I feel your pain, got bitten a few years back. Woodsplitter went after my right hand..... Three surgeries later and its about  90percent.....  severed the pinkey just above the first knuckle.... it was put back on and works like new, Middle finger was squished ,it has recovered to near normal.The ring fingers another story, spiraled the first knuckle right out of that sucker its 3/4 of an inch shorterand has a mind of its own
 The doc was able to keep the fingernail and if you look Quick it looks fairly normal..... this damb cold weather hurts like hell though!!!  GOOD LUCK...... update  after you see the doctor

CHARLIE

Jeff, I'm sorry to hear about your injury. It's amazing how fast something like that happens. Faster than you can respond to. I sure hope there is no nerve damage. Take care and you'll be in my prayers for sure.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tillaway

Ouch, possible nerve damage too.  So long as it all still works you should be OK.
Look at it this way, more war stories with scars.  You should come up with a better story like, rescuing a small child from the grips of a lion while on safari in Africa.  Or maybe took a bullet for the President during my time with the Secret Service.  "I was changing a tooth in the verticle edger" just doesn't quite have that certain pizzaz.

How about this one " I was helping Deadheader when..."

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Bud Man

Had a chat with Tom Ridge about your injury and he said to spray some WD40 in the wound (cures anything ) and wrap it with Duct Tape  real tight so as to trap the WD40 inside the wound, might want to use some visqueen under the Duct Tape to keep it from getting infected with any airborne bacteria !  :o :o   I had a couple of fingertips  put back on after a mishap a few years back and I'm familiar with hand pain, It'll pass thankfully !!   Hope It wasn't your paperwork hand, mine was, sure made things awkward for a while !!  :'( :'(
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Haytrader

Jeff, I too, feel your ouchy when thinking about it. You are probably kickin yer own butt (as Kiwi might say) for letting that happen after doing it so many times. :'(

But, what I want to know is.......will all the kissen up from the originator of this post do any good? What's he want, another tree?
[
Haytrader

ADfields

Hay, your spost to be cutting wood with that thing not hands!! ::)   Nobody lern ya nutin?  :-/  

Sorry to hear this but you will get all healed up soon and once you get the dope working for you you wont cair that it herts like the dickens.   Yea it will still hert you just wont give a darn.  ;D  
Andy

Get beter SOON!!!

Jeff

A small dull impailing device sometimes also used for the manufacture of lumber.

Ron Scott

Ouch! Get good care for it for good healing.
~Ron

ohsoloco

Jeff, when I've opened up parts of my hand on my bandsaw and jointer I thought of one thing after the cussing....just be thankful the blade wasn't moving when it happened!  Hope to hear you're 100% real soon.

Texas Ranger

I talked to Jeff on the telephone yesterday, cause he couldn't type real well.  I suggested one of the metal mesh gloves used in the fishing industry, and around the house, to protect hands in the circumstances he described.

Anyone else ever hear of, use, or know of this thing? Forestry suppliers have them for around $15 or Kevlar for 7.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

That's a good idea Don.  If those metal gloves will stop a knife then they should stop a still sawtooth, eh?  

I'm real sorry to hear about your accident, Jeff.  After considerable consideration I've decided that there is ONE GOOD thing about this.........It wasn't my hand. :)

Take care  and try to enjoy the time off.

CHARLIE

Some woodcarvers will use those mesh gloves (made for protection while filleting fish) when carving. They will help prevent a slicing cut but won't stop a stab. :o :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

whitepe

Jeff,
Sorry to hear about your mishap.   :(  I'm glad that the
motor nerves are still intact.  I'm sure that the numbness
will pass although it will probably take some time.

On M.L. King day, one of the guys that works at my
kid's school got the edge of his palm on his table saw.
He was real lucky and is moving all digits real well.
He just barely missed bone.  He too has numbness
in his hand and his orthopedic surgeon told him that it
would eventually pass.

Take care my friend.   :)
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

dan-l-b

Jeff, that impaling device dont look that baad, didn't even leave any blood :o :o :D :D Get well soon.

Jeff

Oh there was blood alrighty :D

Thats just a photo I have on hand for a swage thread I am planning.

OneWithWood

So, let's think about this.  A while back you said you could kick anybody's behind with one hand tied behind your back-hmmmm ifn you tie your good hand behind your back and you are all wobbly from your meds a body might stand a chance.  Oh yeah, kick 'em when he's down. . . :D :D :D

Take care of that paw and don't be afraid to slow down a bit.  I know you are probably real frustrated that you can't easily put your down time to good use on the puter but I am sure you can use the time to catch up on your reading. :P  Not to mention thinking up onery things to do to that wunnerful guy that spilled the peas :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

DanG son !! That's not good. Ya know, I think you hit the nail on the head when you stated, I've done this tooth changing many times, or sumpin like that?? Ennyhoo, that's what happens when ya get too familiar with yer work. Don'T expect things like this to happen. Get well soon, so's we all can go back to razzin ya.  :P ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

I talked to my saw doc today, and he had done the same thing.  He now puts a piece of hose on the teeth behind the one you're working on, just in case.  He says you might get bruised, but you won't get stabbed.

I've broken lots of pins, but never had those results.  I also wear gloves, so that helps.

I did get my hand tangled up in a Skil saw, once.  It cut nerves in my thumb.  They knitted it together when they sewed my thumb back together.  The feeling never came back 100%.  (I guess you didn't want to hear that  :D)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don P

Thats a good idea Ron.
My neighbor was helping one day and was holding the blade, I hit his hand and cut him. I guess neighbors make good protection too :-X.
 Am I understanding right, no serious nerve damage?

Thank You Sponsors!