iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 385 vs. Jonsered 2186

Started by Corley5, February 02, 2007, 08:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I've always been under the impression these two saws are the same except for color,  some cosmetics and the air cleaner.  From the specs this appears true also.  I haven't been able to compare them side by side but they look pretty much the same.  Anybody know of any mechanical differences  ???  The Jonsereds come with a Windsor bar and the Huskys have an Oregon  :)  I prefer Windsor bars anyway  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

Oregon now owns Windsor ;D You are probably right about them being so similar, both are DanG good saws.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

racer9

I am both a Husky and Jonsered dealer. The only difference between the saws is the air filter, and recoil cover, They are the same saw, most everything except the plastic will interchange.
Husky 345, Husky 55 rancher, Husky 372xp, Husky 288, Husky 395xp

SawTroll

How about the handlebar angle, aren't it streight across on the 2186, as on other Jonsereds? ???
Information collector.

racer9

Yes, but there are some 385`s in my area with 2186 handle bars.

jokers

Quote from: racer9 on February 07, 2007, 10:08:15 PM
Are you sure about that? How do the 2186 bars fit the 385 with a different shape and all?

racer9

I just put another one on today. I also use 2171 handle bars on 372 huskys. They seem to work fine, the holes line up okay. the only thing is, When i get handlebars from husky, they include a new AV mount, the ones I get from Tilton do not. I had a 372 husky in the shop the other day with a 2171 gas tank on it. A orange saw looks weird with a red gas tank.

SawTroll

Quote from: jokers on February 07, 2007, 11:07:33 PM
Are you sure about that? How do the 2186 bars fit the 385 with a different shape and all?

I also thought that they wouldn't fit, unless you switched out more parts - but I guess that accepted truths aren't eternal either..... ::) :D :D

Looks like there are hope for the Jonsereds afterall, then...... ;D
Information collector.

jokers

Quote from: SawTroll on February 09, 2007, 05:12:17 AM
Quote from: jokers on February 07, 2007, 11:07:33 PM

I also thought that they wouldn't fit, unless you switched out more parts - but I guess that accepted truths aren't eternal either..... ::) :D :D

Looks like there are hope for the Jonsereds afterall, then...... ;D
Yeah because it stands to reason that if a Jonny bar fits on a Husky, that the Husky handlebar would fit the Jonny. Hmmmmmmm..........

treeape

I once put a tank form either a 2171 or 2071 (i'm not sure which one it was) on a 372 and i had to lengthen the 372 handle to make it work, it was not a direct fit. So If a jonny tank was on a husky then, it must of had the jonny handle as well.

SawTroll

That's what I originally thought also............. ::) ???
Information collector.

mike39chef

I run a Husky 365 and a Jonny 2171, and they are nearly identicle.  The diffrences being, the size of the cylinder, plastics, HANDLE BAR etc.  I can tell you that the 365 and the 2171 are mechanicly similar.  I've been able to swap parts between them-- carbs, coils, filters, brake, clutch, tank, muffler,   etc.  Furthermore, Jonsered is owned by Huskvarna, and since there is no Jonsered dealer near me, when i need a new part for big red, i order a husky part and screw it onto old Jonny.   At the end of the day theyre both great saws, and i would recomend either one of them.
--"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"--

SawTroll

All todays Jonsereds are made at the Husky factory, except the two cheap Poulan made ones.

I believe that practice started with the 670 and 630 in about 1982, and gradually more and more Jonsered models became the "twin" of some Husky model, made at the Husky factory.......
Information collector.

Corley5

I like my 2186 8) 8)  First day I ran it it seemed a bit heavy and cumbersome but I was used to the 372 and 2171.  The second day I was broken in and it rocked  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowman

Ten years ago or so I tried jonsered. It was a fine saw until it broke, took a month to get the part. That's unacceptable for someone that makes a living with a saw. It was my 1st and last johnny.

sawguy21

Few dealers here either. They are good saws but there is no support. We have IPL's for a number of the jonnyreds so at least we can attempt to cross reference to Husky numbers.
Husqvarna Canada has taken over distribution of Jonsered so we should see more dealers in the future.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!