iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RUSTY RipSaw blades

Started by 333_okh, February 01, 2007, 06:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

333_okh

I was given a Ripsaw and with an 044 Stihl powerhead.  All of the bands are brand new with the exception of the one on it.  Due to issues with its storage, they are also all rusted.  What suggestions can you give me?

ohsoloco

Use em  :)  They should get nice and clean just from using them.  Spray a little WD-40 or some other oil on them after they're clean from use so they don't rust during storage again  ;)

Ianab

If it's just a bit of surface rust - start sawing and it will blow off pretty quick.

I'd wipe the others down with a bit of light oil to stop them rusting any more.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sparty

Good suggestions, I had the exact same deal.  Free ripsaw (a guy used it on a timberframe then gave it away) with a dozen rusty blades.  They all cut just fine.  I coated the spares with a little oil.  The saw cuts alot better than I thought it would.

arj

RUST REAPER
                       ARJ

flht01

Quote from: arj on February 01, 2007, 09:38:39 PM
RUST REAPER
                       ARJ

Hadn't thought about rust reaper, will have to give it a try for blade storage.

If you have issues with pitch build up, try spraying a shot of cooking spray on the band every second or third cut. You'd be suprised at the difference.

333_okh

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Joel Eisner

I usually use cooking spray (store brand PAM) to coat my blades between uses.  In a pinch Ill coat them with the diesel/kerosine mix.  Other times I coat them with light rust for storage  :D
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

333_okh

I had not thought of the cooking oil.  I take it you guys prefer it to WD40 or a similar spray?

Does it affect the wood differently?

Joel Eisner

Some of the industrial oil sprays can have silicone in them which could cause some finish problems if drops were to soak into logs.  Also the cooking spray seems more natural and has a higher viscoscity than WD40.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

ely

do we have any pictures of this saw so i can see what we are talking about.

flht01

Quote from: 333_okh on February 02, 2007, 09:31:04 AM
I had not thought of the cooking oil.  I take it you guys prefer it to WD40 or a similar spray?

Does it affect the wood differently?

Makes it taste a lot better  :D  Sorry, Just had to say it.

I think it stays on the blade better but WD-40 was the only other lub I tried. I think you could mixing bar oil with kerosene or diesel (50-50) and use a spray bottle to apply it. Might be worth a try.

Have you had a chance use the ripsaw yet? Be patient, there's a learning curve but it's worth it.

Thank You Sponsors!