The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Hi! How y'all doin'?  (Read 6602 times)

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
Re: Hi! How y'all doin'?
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2001, 07:44:22 am »
Tom's got a lot of "Tall Tales" to tell.....just no "Charlie Stories". ???  Someday you should get him to tell you about the time he was fishing and the fog came in.  :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2001, 03:29:24 pm »
Don P, when you plan your trip into the BWCA, be sure to make list of essentials and menus. You'll be backpacking into the wilderness and if you forget something...then you do without. If you take something you don't use, then you have to carry it for no reason. One thing I like to do is premix what I can and put into ziplock bags with a slip of paper with cooking instructions. For example: Put 'X' number of servings of oatmeal with salt and raisens in a bag with instructions to the amount of water. Then for breakfast, just dump it in the boiling water. Makes a simple breakfast and you can pack more ziplocks than boxes.

A couple of years ago we had some bad storms with high winds up around the Ely, Minnesota area and it just flattened thousands of trees. I wish they could have salvaged all that timber somehow, but they are now concerned about it catching fire. Anyway, because of that, You might consider going into the BWCA from the Northshore area (ie Sawbill).
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2001, 04:59:26 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Charlie. I had heard about the blowdown but didn't know the best route around it.
Alot of tree planting we did was in SC after hurricane Hugo. Many sites were what we called Hugo Hells. The trees were too twisted up to harvest, so hung up many times they wouldn,t even burn. All day long you'd just drag yourself up,over, around,whatever and try to plug in new trees. Sure was a sad site to see. Jeff's firestarter brought those days to mind, one plant boss said the trees were the price of admission to pick up arrowheads. ;D

The pack used to get heavier each time now it gets lighter if I have anything to do with it.  :D