iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hi! How y'all doin'?

Started by CHARLIE, June 22, 2001, 02:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

Let me introduce myself.  I'm the one that TOM hit in the face with a frying pan. But then I woke him up once by squirting ice water in his face....he caught me before I got a block away from the house (he was still in his PJ's)......and I did throw hot pepper sauce in his eyes once when he was chasing me (that stopped him dead in his tracks). I'm the one that has NEVER hit a homerun even though TOM could hit them both right handed and left handed (his left handed hit homeruns didn't go as far though). I'm the one that Cadet Major TOM made walk 2 hours on the Bullring just for skipping 5:00 a.m. Reveille formation at Georgia Military College (just trying to get a little more sleep...SHEEESH!). I'm the one that TOM would tell to "get ready, you have a date in 20 minutes". I have hit TOM side the head with a few mudballs too when we used to go water skiing (Hmmmm, maybe that explains a lot). Anyway, that's who I am and I'll try and visit from time to time and keep TOM honest.     ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Welcome Charlie!

Hope you come around often cause Tom can be, well lets just say, a hat full. (199 more posts and you can be a hat full too!)  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Hey Little Brother.

Man I'm glad you showed up, Your gonna like this.  Good folks, good company, good conversation and lots to learn.  I'm anxious to see you get acclimated enough to share some of your turning stuff.

Hey everybody,  This is my little brother from way up north.  He's the best.  Likes wood too.  He turns bowls and some between center stuff.  Has made some really pretty furniture.  I'm envious but I sure love him.

Bill Johnson

Hi Charlie
Welcome to our little piece of the internet. Hope you enjoy yourself.
Bill
Bill

RavioliKid

Welcome, Charlie!

I'm just using my brother's computer to check up on things while we're traveling.

I'll let you know about the Great Paulownia Experiment when I get home. I planted about half of them outside and put some in larger pots that I kept in the house. I have a friend keeping an eye on them, so I am hopeful that some of them will make it through my absence.

Now, you can fill us in on the TRUE story of Tom!  ;D
RavioliKid

CHARLIE

You can always believe what I say about Tom. I don't ever tell any lies. However.....I do at times find the raw truth rather boring and tend to embellish it a little for readability and interest.
 ;)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

I wonder when to expect the CHARLIE stories from Tom...
Charlie, when you mentioned fish species, I actually knew what you were talking about. Minnesota would have pretty much what we have. Not sure if all the southern guys would know what you mean by a "Northern". But I sure do.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Me too, that's an up-yonder version of a Red Pickerel but 'bout 20+ times bigger.

CHARLIE

Jeff, I like Northern as much a a walleye. They're a little slimier to clean and I just have to zip those 'Y' bones out. My son and I use to go into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area for a week each year and would feast on Northern every day. We'd cut 'em into chunks, dip the chunks in egg and then through that into a sack of cornmeal,salt,black pepper and cayenne pepper and shake around a bit. Then drop 'em into a pot of hot lard. When they came to the top, they were done to perfection. Now that's eating! Especially if ya have some grits to go along with it.

There are no Charlie stories 'cause I was a rather boring kid growing up. So I'm safe. I do have a fishin' story to tell y'all sometime later.    ;)  
Charlie

Tom

You just think there are no "Charlie" stories, little brother.

CHARLIE

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh......geeeeez Tom, Hmmmmmmmm. I was such a sweet little boy. :D
Charlie

Don P

Charlie,
Hate to break in before you get razzed to death but tell me about the boundry waters. I'm a kinda retired whitewater paddler (gotta be able to limp to work the next day anymore) we've talked about a trip up there sometime. What about permits,gear, who to contact, where to put in ...?
Now if you want to talk about real whitewater I've heard stories about that New Zealand stuff.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Don,

How about a bit of Grade 5 whitewater before lunch!?  All available if you ever make this part of the world.
Cheers
Kiwi Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

CHARLIE

Don P and KiwiCharlie, I've done some whitewater rafting (under protest) 'cause my wife enjoys it. Once in a big raft in Colorado and once down the Nolachucki (sp?) river in Tennessee in a one person "Funyak" which is a rubber version of a kayak. Never again! And we never had any 5 rapids.....or even 4's.....I don't think.

Don P, you get your permit through the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. You have to tell them your entry point because they only allow 'X' number of people per day to enter per entry point. A lot of people enter at Ely, but I always went in at Sawbill which is about 25 miles inland from Tofte (which is on the shore of Lake Superior). Sawbill entry point (Sawbill Lake) has a canoe outfitter there too where, if you want, they will supply you with everything you need.....for a price (They'll have it all packed and you just show up and go. I usually just purchase my freeze dried food there and took a shower there when I returned ($1 or so for the nice hot shower and well worth it). Anyway, no motors, cans or bottles are allowed in the BWCA. What you pack in you must pack out. It is a lot of lake canoeing and portaging your canoe and gear between each lake.  You must camp at designated camping areas and only 1 party per camping area. When I was going, I think a party must be 8 or less people that are all listed on the same permit (I reckon that's is still the same, but may have changed). I found that the last of May or first part of April was the best time for me. The nights were a little chilly but the days were nice and the mosquitoes and black flies hadn't hatched yet. I went once on the second week of June and there was only 1 inch in any direction of one skeeter to another. I became a believer in Muskol repellent that year. Oh, each person can only use 1 fishing pole at a time. I'll check for the MNDNR's address and let you know more.      
Charlie

Don P

Thanks Charlie,
Sounds like next spring before I start work up here if I can swing it. Ever been in fall? Seems like the water would be warmer if you did take a bath out in the wilderness,or is the weather too unpredictable that far north(I am genetically southern :D)
I never got around to running the 'chucky,but I think you did run some class 4's.In that area I kayaked the Nantahala,Ocoee and French Broad.Our home now is only a few miles from the New,the only river that cuts thru the Appalachians from east to west emptying into the Kanawha,Ohio then Mississippi,it cut thru as the mountains rose.
I've only run a few 5's on the Chatooga and Gauley. Above a solid 3 its kinda like pulling the handle as you flush yourself. Theres lots of pics doing underwater geology surveys,but its always a ball.
I always enjoyed being the first down any waterway in the morning,just quietly floating by as everything is waking up.
Eric Severied(sp?) wrote his first newspaper reports at the age of 17 paddling from MN to Hudson Bay.It was later published as a book,a good read.

Ron Scott

Reference the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

You can also contact the Superior National Forest for information on the BWCA. It is a Nationally designated Wilderness and managed by the Superior National Forest.

The New and Gauley Rivers in West Virginia have some class 5's. I've been down both in a raft a few times. The Gauley is a good ride when they open the Summersville Reservoir in the fall. We had to do 2 trips on the New River before they let us on the Gauley.
~Ron

Don P

Ron, you river dawg!
Iron Ring (a cable point to dislodge log jams) and Lost Paddle (an undercut rock wall) rapids on the Gauley are strong 5's,some call 6's. To the uninitiated Niagra is a strong 6,7 most days.There are few places more beautiful than between those 600' canyon walls. A friend calls camping by the Summersville dam "magic fingers on a regional scale".

Really just taking the opp to give more history on the New. Headwaters are in NW NC,flows north into VA class 1-2 then WV into the gorge thru the continental divide joins the Gauley forming the Kanawha,into the Ohio then the Miss.

Originally it was a prehistoric river called the Teas,predating the Miss. It drained the Ohio watershed,then cut across to the Missouri watershed came back to around St Louis and then to the Gulf. Then a big inland sea covered the midsection and when it drained the Mississipi formed the main flowage. Read all this off my placemat in a truckstop in...Teas Valley WV.

Ron Scott

Yes, the New River is really the "oldest".

I was the Gauley District Ranger on the Monongahla National Forest located at Richwood, W.VA. back in the early 70's,so was close by these rivers. Also use to SCUBA dive in the Summersville Reservoir. A fun place.

Use to run the New River just before and while they were building the New River Gorge Bridge. It was high enough that we would watch some of the "locals" parachute jump off it. Now that seemed quite daring. They also started bungee jumping on it, but may have put a stop to all that now. The jumpers were often identified afterwards by a cast on their arm or leg.

I have a son that is a professional white water guide and kayaker. He's been on most all fast waters in the US, Ecuador, Amazon, etc.  He learned many of his skills on the W.VA. rivers when he was young.. He's up in Alaska again for the summer, fish guiding at Crystal Creek Lodge, Dillingham, Alaska.
~Ron

CHARLIE

Don P, check out   http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/    Do a search on BWCA.  Quite a bit of info.  Anyway, there are phone numbers etc.  I've never been there in the Fall. My son has (September) but says the fisning isn't as good. If ya wait too late, the lakes turn over and not only is the fishing bad, but that water from the bottom don't smell particularly good.

You guys can have that whitewater rapid running stuff. The Nolichuky was enough for me. Once you are in that canyon, there just ain't no way out until you get to North Carolina. I remember fighting the water for about 10 hours (an hour break for lunch) and was dawg tired....nope...tireder than that...when I finished.  My wife loves it. She dang near drowned (got pinned upside down against a rock) and still wants to go more. I think I'm chicken....or real smart...I don't know which.      ::)
Charlie

Don P

Charlie,Ron thanks for the refs. Have checked them and some outfitters this eve. Ought to get my can in gear and try to finish this house up and go have fun before winter. Not too worried as to quality of fishing as Pat McManus won't even tag along with me;D
Now, I believe I was interrupting a talll tale ,Tom?

CHARLIE

Tom's got a lot of "Tall Tales" to tell.....just no "Charlie Stories". ???  Someday you should get him to tell you about the time he was fishing and the fog came in.  :D
Charlie

CHARLIE

Don P, when you plan your trip into the BWCA, be sure to make list of essentials and menus. You'll be backpacking into the wilderness and if you forget something...then you do without. If you take something you don't use, then you have to carry it for no reason. One thing I like to do is premix what I can and put into ziplock bags with a slip of paper with cooking instructions. For example: Put 'X' number of servings of oatmeal with salt and raisens in a bag with instructions to the amount of water. Then for breakfast, just dump it in the boiling water. Makes a simple breakfast and you can pack more ziplocks than boxes.

A couple of years ago we had some bad storms with high winds up around the Ely, Minnesota area and it just flattened thousands of trees. I wish they could have salvaged all that timber somehow, but they are now concerned about it catching fire. Anyway, because of that, You might consider going into the BWCA from the Northshore area (ie Sawbill).
Charlie

Don P

Thanks for the heads up Charlie. I had heard about the blowdown but didn't know the best route around it.
Alot of tree planting we did was in SC after hurricane Hugo. Many sites were what we called Hugo Hells. The trees were too twisted up to harvest, so hung up many times they wouldn,t even burn. All day long you'd just drag yourself up,over, around,whatever and try to plug in new trees. Sure was a sad site to see. Jeff's firestarter brought those days to mind, one plant boss said the trees were the price of admission to pick up arrowheads. ;D

The pack used to get heavier each time now it gets lighter if I have anything to do with it.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!