Fla._Deadheader

bd/ft of a cookie, 50" round X 3" thick ???  Is it Pi are round ???  ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Snag

Well, dont have my calculator with me, but some quick math on some paper tells me 40.89 bdft.  I could have made a mistake though.  It should be :  pi*(r^2)*thickness = in^3.  A bdft is 12"*12"*1" = 144in^3.  the "cookie" calc is 5887.5in^3.  didvide that by the bdft volume = 40.89 bdft.... ???

Tobacco Plug

Board feet in a 50"x3" circle:
A=Pi r squared
A=3.14 x (25x25)
A=1962.5 sq. in.

1962.5sq. in./144 sq. in per board foot=13.63 bd. ft. per inch of thickness

13.63 bd. ft. per inch of thickness x 3 inches=40.89 total board feet

I think this is right, but I haven't yet had my coffee this morning. :)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Fla._Deadheader

8) 8) 8)  Y'all are a great bunch, here  8) 8) 8)  Thanks
   First, it is ridiculed;

Snag

No problem.  I'm just glad Tobacco Plug verified the number.  We are moving offices and my trusty HP48GX is packed.  Glad to see I can still do math the old fashioned way. :)

Fla._Deadheader

I just guessed it at 45 , before I posted the question  ::) ::) :D :D :D :D  How's DAT fer the ole fashunned way  :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Sparty

Please correct me if I am wrong....
If I read your post right, your cookie is 50" around (circumfrence).  Divide that by Pi (3.14) to get your diameter (how wide the log was).  Half of the diameter is called the radius (a measurement from the pith to the outside of your cookie, if the pith is centered).  Now multiply Pi by your radius squared. that will give you your surface area in inches.  Because it is 3 inches thick, multiply your surface area by 3.  Divide this volume by 144 (the amount of cubic inches in a square foot).  That will give you the answer, it should look something like this:
50" / 3.14 =  15.924" diameter  (is your cookie really only 16" across, or did you mean 50" across, not 50" around?)

15.924" diameter / 2= 7.96"radius

3.14 x (7.96"x7.96")=199 square inches in surface area

199 square inches x 3" thick = 597 cubic inches

597 cubic inches / 144 cubic inches=4.15 board feet

Thats a pretty small cookie.  Now, if your cookie is actually 50" across, not 50" around your total board feet will be just a touch over 13.  Clear as MUD!? :-\

Sparty

I made a typo on my calculator..the other guys are right on a 50" diameter cookie your board footage is 40.89.  Scary thing is that I'm doing my taxes right now...according to my calculator the IRS owes me 1.5 million. I haven't double checked though!

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D  Sparty, Whut jailhouse the Feds gonna bunk ya in ???  :D :D :D

I shooda writ 50" DIA. I'm taar'd frum moving them things all day, yesterday.   smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop
   First, it is ridiculed;

Robert Long

Sparty :)

That's 1.5 million US, here in Canada it would calculate to 2 million I owe the government.

Did you know our money is colored?

Robert

Sparty

Ya Robert, I still have some of that weird money left from when I passed by your place going to Toronto a couple months ago.  The exchange rate was nice, but your sales tax cancels it out.  Maybe I don't know much about Canadian govt, but by the looks of your bills and coins...the Queen is the president and a beaver is the V.P.!?  I hear you live in Tecumseh, so do I- the one in Michigan.  Next time I take the boat to the detroit river or st. clair, I'll give you a waive.

Furby

Forum toolbox says:

Doyle:33
Scribner:29
International:30

Why the difference?

metalspinner

QuoteWhy the difference?

Saw kerf allowance?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

leweee

and log taper.  :P ;D with three different scales,they keep ever one confused. ::)
and sell more scaling sticks. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Furby

No, I mean from the numbers the guys figured above.
I get numbers closer to what they do if I figure a 4" cookie.

leweee

those cookies aren't logs. ;D log scales are estimates not absolutes. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Sparty

I believe the tool box is considering taper in the log, kerf, etc.  All of the variables that you need to consider when cutting a log into dimentioned lumber.  The cookie does not need to have any of these factors as it is really just a very short log that is not cut at all...so you keep all of the board footage contained within and don't loose it to kerf or the slabs when squaring up the cant.

Ron Wenrich

Taper isn't considered in the formulas.  It does consider kerf and that you are making boards. 

We also have a calculator that gives cubic volume of logs.  That short log has 3.41 cu ft, which would yield 40.92 bf, as long as it isn't cut into boards. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

timcosby

whats this no pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RSteiner

First of all my mother always told me pie are round, and that's all she ever made.

Secondly the easiest way I have found to "figger" the volume of a cylinder, which a cookie comes close to, is to take the daimeter in inches or feet multiply it by itself or square it.  Then multiply this figger by .7854, then multiply this number by the thickness or height of your cylinder.  You will end up with the cubic feet or inches.  Remember to use the same unit of measurement for all the numbers.

Simply put, Volume= .7854 X Diameter squared X height. 

If you use inches you will come up with a cubic inch number, the same is true for feet.  Should you want to convert cubic inches to cubic feet you need to divide the cubic inches by 1728 which is the number of cubic inches in a cubic foot. 

However, to get a board foot number divide the cubic inch volume by 144.

Randy
Randy

woodmills1

Not much taper in a 3 inch cookie. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!