iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

welder

Started by bedway, January 31, 2007, 07:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

Friend of mine called me today and asked if i was interested in a welder. I allready have a lincoln buzz box but when the word free come out of his mouth my ears perked up! I brought it home and plugged it in. It even plugged into the same connector as my old lincoln welder. Flipped the switch and that old puppy works great. I ran a few passes with 7018,6011, and 6013. Dand thing works great. It says it has a battery charge feature on it also. The name on it is Twentieth Century. Anybody have one of these or know about them? This is one of the best freebies ive come across in a while 8).,,,,,,,,,,bedway

scgargoyle

I never heard of that welder before, but I'll give ya twice what ya paid fer it!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

bedway

Ive been useing it this morning to do more welding on my log bed thats in build process. It has a range of 20 to 300 amps. It says it will do slow and fast battery chargeing also. Ill bet you would scgargoyle :D Ive done a little searching on the net and havent found any info on it. Its possible its made by some well know outfit like lincoln or hobart but i cant find any tags or plates on it. Im guessing its a 40s or 50s unit. Its good quality and not a hobby unit!!!!,,,bedway

DanG

Hmmm.  I wonder if that is a forerunner of my Century welder?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

treebucker

I was wondering the same thing as DanG.  My searches have also been fruitless.  I did find one for sale on ebay. Is this it?
Twentieth Century heavy duty 295 amp welder
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

saddletramp

Sounds like the ones we had in welding class in high school. Does it have high freq or a polarity reverse box? Rember the salesman that delivered it showing what all it would do. Never heard of the high freq before that, he said it was for overhead welds or stainless. Fired that puppy up and blew sparks all over the place! :o Never used that feature for anything constructive ;D Could be early 70's. Pretty good welder but I'd keep the old lincoln around, they were my favorite back then. If you are doin a lot of heavy welding watch your duty cycle, some of those wanted to heat up. Also unplug it take the outer cover off and give a good cleaning with an air gun, mudd dobbers, spiders and such. Makes it run cooler. Good luck with your new toy.
Horses dont git broke.Cowboys do.

isawlogs

Quote from: bedway on February 01, 2007, 01:08:27 PM
Ive been useing it this morning to do more welding on my log bed thats in build process.

I am in need of a welder that can weld logs too ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

bedway

As you can see its not the same as the one on Ebay. That is if you go to my gallery and look. Ive just put three pictures of it in there ;D. I still get confused on getting the pics into forum! Someone put a less than desireable paint job on it, but at least didnt cover up the writeing.,,bedway

stonebroke

Looks like you got a goldie oldie. That was back when they really made welders. It will probably out last you.

beenthere

bedway
Nice job on the pics in your gallery.
Now, when you go to your gallery, just click on the pic you want, and it will enlarge to full size from the thumbnail size. Under the full size pic, will be a few lines, one of which begins "Clip to copy.......". Click on it, and it will be ready to paste into your message with the paste feature (I use Ctrl-V combination).

Then in your message, there are two buttons below that say Post  or  Preview.  Always hit preview to see what your message looks like, so any editing can be done, or additions made. This is a step many do not do, and it is obvious in their posted messages that they just skipped it.  :) But even then, it is possible to go back and modify any message posted.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bedway

Thank you Beenthere,,i do appreciate the help. My son in law stopped by this morning and i showed him the welder. Ya should a heard him wining an moaning,,,,(you always get all the good stuff) Ive been makeing an effort to teach him to weld a little bit. He picked up one of these little 115 volt bubble gum slingers. I told him, this here old welding machine and some 7018 would make even him a welder!!!!!! :D 8),,,bedway

Furby

Knew that name sounded familiar!
Got one at my Grandma's, it's red and a different model, but it a Twentieth Century all right!

bedway

Heck, for all i know this welder could be red underneath. Someone has done a brush paint job on it with the blue. At least they didnt paint over the operating instuctions. I think im gonna pull the cover off it and try to blow or vacumm it out. Im sure this thing is filthy inside as it set beside a coal bin in the basement of our local hardware. Ya should of seen the gold mine in that basement. Old tools etc., from the days of the real hardware store era.,,,bedway

Thank You Sponsors!