iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Over insulated kiln chamber

Started by fstedy, January 31, 2007, 03:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

Is it possible to over insulate a DH kiln cahmber. EBAC is recommending no more than
R11 for my chamber size 520 sq. ft. But it seems to me R30 would be better. I'm not located in an area where it gets super cold ( New Jersey by Atlantic City ) or super warm. Any suggestions? R 30 just maks sense to me even if I have to vent it occasionally for over temp conditions.  The chamber is 8'x8'x16' with 2" blue foam under a plywood deck. Thanks for the help.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

BBTom

I am no kiln design expert, but I cannot think of any reason not to insulate as much as possible, if you have venting.  I especially want a kiln to be air tight, even if it would not be insulated a bunch.  I say go for it.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Den Socling

I put a control system on a relatively large Nyle one time that had lots of insulation. It needed a powered vent to prevent overheating.

Don_Lewis

I have seen that in EBAC literature and it doesn't make any sense. If you have a poorly insulated wall, you will have water condensing on it and the kiln will be ruined by that. Someone told me once that they don't supply vents and when the kiln was overheating, they should pull the insulation off one wall. That was second hand and seems too far out to be believable.

oakiemac

Nothing is too far out to be unbelieveable with EBAC. I own one and have nothing good to say about it.

Anyway, my kiln chamber is sprayed with 4" of foam and it seems to over temp real quick. I usually have to vent it even in the winter. I don't think you can over insulate but just be prepared to do a little venting even in the winter.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Den Socling

I should add that oakiemac's comments about EBAC are his own but are substantiated by similar remarks by EBAC owners at other web forums, as well as this one.

I'd hate to be Den EBAC!  :-[

fstedy

Well I'm going for it R 30 walls and ceiling and 2" blue foam under the floor. Don there was mention in the manual about removing insulation in the summer. Venting seems more practical. I can see this will be a learing experience!!!
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

TexasTimbers

I guess we can learn together. I built mine out of R30 foam walls. I am coating mine with aluminum kiln coating from Texas Refinery Corp.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!